• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font Help Graphic Tracer can ID over 100,000 fonts

GTracer

If you have not seen the FontEye tool in Graphic Tracer, check out this video

[video=youtube;fI67H-mPPrU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI67H-mPPrU&t=31s[/video]

The FontEye tool can identify over 100,000 fonts from a variety of font collections such as Adobe, Corel, FlexiSign, URW, Bitstream, Linotype, and more.
You can also build databases of your own font collections, search and automatically replace the text in most graphics with perfect type created from the original font. This makes it a powerful tool for cleaning up poor quality art and making it production ready in a short period of time.

I have used this tool for years to create production ready art from low resolution files, photographs of customer signs taken with my cell phone, and scanned images.

This program is compatible with all major sign and graphic design software. More video are being created and will appear on YouTube, or you can visit www.graphictracer.com

Thanks for taking time to check it out,

Steve

S'N'S

Now, that looks interesting and would be interested .... but not in monthly subscription.

ikarasu

If you have not seen the FontEye tool in Graphic Tracer, check out this video

[video=youtube;fI67H-mPPrU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI67H-mPPrU&t=31s[/video]

The FontEye tool can identify over 100,000 fonts from a variety of font collections such as Adobe, Corel, FlexiSign, URW, Bitstream, Linotype, and more.
You can also build databases of your own font collections, search and automatically replace the text in most graphics with perfect type created from the original font. This makes it a powerful tool for cleaning up poor quality art and making it production ready in a short period of time.

I have used this tool for years to create production ready art from low resolution files, photographs of customer signs taken with my cell phone, and scanned images.

This program is compatible with all major sign and graphic design software. More video are being created and will appear on YouTube, or you can visit www.graphictracer.com

Thanks for taking time to check it out,

Steve

Looks good. And I know I've mentioned this before... as have many others, but I hope you re-consider the monthly fee model. Consider you can pay $15 a month, and you get access to ALL of adobes products... You can see why when people compare, some may think it's not worth it and move on. I'd love this software, it looks good. But I wouldn't pay monthly for it... and hopefully all the posts you saw here last time convince you that you can make proffit on a one time fee!

GTracer

Looks good. And I know I've mentioned this before... as have many others, but I hope you re-consider the monthly fee model. Consider you can pay $15 a month, and you get access to ALL of adobes products... You can see why when people compare, some may think it's not worth it and move on. I'd love this software, it looks good. But I wouldn't pay monthly for it... and hopefully all the posts you saw here last time convince you that you can make proffit on a one time fee!

I have a couple of questions for you...

My first question is - Who is offering access to ALL of the Adobe products for $15 a month???
Are you referring to the $15.99 academic special currently being offered on the Adobe website to students and teachers that expired yesterday?
Do you know why Adobe offers specials like that to students & teachers?
You really cannot use that price as a comparison, as that package really is not being offered to sign shop owners to use in their business.
I see the regular price for the package is $49.99 a month.
You are trying to compare two programs with different functionality, and this really cannot be done.
Graphic Tracer and the Adobe suite were created for different purposes, so this is not an "apples to apples" comparison.
You are also looking at how much money it "costs" and not how much it saves or puts back into your pocket.
Software is kind of like an employee, it has to be benefiting the company and making it more profitable.
If price is the issue, there is a way to get a free subscription to Graphic Tracer for anyone interested.

My second question is: What do you charge for graphic design time in your shop? and what is your time worth? This is an important question that needs to be asked as you are already paying someone every month to do the kind of things that Graphic Tracer does. If you have an employee that does that kind of work, you are paying for their time. If you do it yourself, it is still costing you. What is that time currently worth in your shop? How much time do you spend per month dealing specifically with poor quality customer artwork? I have been in the sign business for over 25 years, and I still own a sign shop in Portland, Oregon... so if you tell me that you don't spend any time cleaning up customer art, then I would question if you are really in business.
Whether or not you use subscription software to clean up poor quality art is totally your choice. If you accept artwork that is not "production ready", you will still have expenses related to that art prep.

I realize that you would like to see this product be a "one time fee"... it was sold that way when it was first released back in 2003, but then there are always those annual "upgrades". One of the problems with this program being a "one time fee" is there is a growing need and expense for database hosting management as the online font database continues to expand and the user demand for bandwidth grows. People do not want to wait a long time for online search results. Database management and hosting is an expensive ongoing cost, plus there are expenses that are necessary for the development of new features in the program, and ongoing support. The subscription model is the best one for managing those ongoing expenses. The additional benefits are it puts everyone on the most recent version of the program, eliminating the need of supporting 5 year old versions of the program. The fact is, the cost to the end user is considerably lower under the subscription model than it was when the program had a "one time fee" (...I don't know of any software I use regularly in my shop that really is a "one time fee")
Regards,
Steve

ikarasu

You're right. I'm currently paying $18ish or something per month, Must be on a grandfathered plan. I wouldn't pay anymore for it than that... I'd rather goto free software, which isn't as good, but good enough, which is the point! Adobe was smart. They were a one time fee, trained and got so many artists used to it, and then changed to monthly...and people gritted their teeth and ponied up the monthly fee. If they had just came out and started charging $60 a month, do you think they'd be in the position theyre in now?

I don't own the shop, just work in one. We do clean up customer supplied art, but the customer gets charged for it... no one works for free. I've tried Graphic tracer for a bit, and it was nice. But theres tons of other programs that can do the same... not in 1 convenient package, but it's not hard to have multiple products installed. Vector magic is great for vectorizing... I haven't done a side by side comparison with graphic tracer, but it's just as easy to use, and for stuff that doesn't need hand drawn with a pen tool, it's never failed me. Illustrators auto tracer is "Ok", Not the best, but once you know the settings, it can produce good results.

For fonts... Theres a couple dozen sites that do it for free. whatthefont, fontspring, fontsquirrel, even photoshop has a really good font matcher now.

And as for your last point... There in lies the problem. Too many companies are trying to go subscription based. I can write off a $300 purchase of vector magic, it does what I need it to do, and if it adds new features... I can weight the benefit to cost ratio of it. but if I'm paying (Using current prices) $60 for photoshop, $15 for graphic tracer, xx for whatever else is subscription based... It all adds up.

The only software I use that's a monthly fee, is adobe. And thats only because it's what I know. It could be just me, but I'm still running 2 versions behind on Onyx even. yes... they've added some nice features in onyx 11 and 12. I'd save a minute or two using the grommet tool rather than add them myself... It's got some nice features with a ton of little time savers. But since I dont pay onyx $10 a month, or $50, I decide if them features are worth the $2000 they want...and so far I have decided no :)

I used to be in web development. I can't see the database being too big, or resource intensive for font matching. I'd imagine it'd be your lowest expense...

And again, I'm not saying it's not worth it. $10 is a McDonalds meal... It's the perception of it. It's an expense that never stops, it's a investment that just dissapears when you stop investing... Offer a good product, with good updates, and you could make more than $10 a month. I can see you making $3-400 for your software... Thats 3 years at $10 a year. Release an update people would want to purchase within 3 years... and that's another 3 years of future you've secured.

I hope in the future you re-consider the pricing model, If you do, you'll have another customer! I like what your doing with the program, and it seems more advanced than anything I've tried to date. I think either subscription model, you'll get a decent amount of customers... i'm just hoping you'd get more with a one time fee, and you change your mind about it ;)

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
i would rather pay 10 a month than 300 at one time. i would rather pay $2 for 1 time font search instead of pay $10 or 15 a month. Especially since i would only use it once in a while and the free website font search engines do the same job basically. I just signed up just to compare a font search between this app and whattefont.com
both did the same thing. whattefont was faster and free. I like how this traces imposed the text on top pf each other.
btw i just checked illustrator. vectorized a text both in this tracer and illustrator and illustrator traced the font just as good.

bannertime

i would rather pay 10 a month than 300 at one time. i would rather pay $2 for 1 time font search instead of pay $10 or 15 a month. Especially since i would only use it once in a while and the free website font search engines do the same job basically. I just signed up just to compare a font search between this app and whattefont.com
both did the same thing. whattefont was faster and free. I like how this traces imposed the text on top pf each other.
btw i just checked illustrator. vectorized a text both in this tracer and illustrator and illustrator traced the font just as good.

I think what this does is create the text in an editable format though, not just creating paths. That part is cool cool, and if I used it, I'd just find a way to pass the cost onto the customer. So far Flexi's trace is my go to for cut graphics and Illustrator for stuff that's going to be printed.

Also, at this time, the security cert for the site is invalid.

CSOCSO

this super super annoying. this does not work for me. i process the image then click on vectorize then i hit text and does not recognize anything.
text is white on black background. illustrator vectorizes it perfectly. i can use it for print but i would like to know what font is it.
i hit process. It creates an outline for the text. i can't delete any noise because it grabs the whole vector file with borders. i click on text and it recognizes the rectangle border. not the font.

got it. right click. break apart (ungroup did not work) then i was able to delete the borders ( boundaries?)

Signed Out

The migration to subscription based software needs to end. It is a way for companies to sell incomplete software. The companies always claim that this is better for the end user because it will always be up to date and have the latest advancements, less upfront cost... bla bla bla. The truth is, it's a way for the software company to put more money into marketing their product then fully developing the product before releasing it. The software company makes more money this way, quicker, and without fully finishing the software. Then all the promises of fixes and improvements roll in... after a few months, maybe even a year the end user realizes they got duped into paying to beta test the product.

shoresigns

The migration to subscription based software needs to end. It is a way for companies to sell incomplete software. The companies always claim that this is better for the end user because it will always be up to date and have the latest advancements, less upfront cost... bla bla bla. The truth is, it's a way for the software company to put more money into marketing their product then fully developing the product before releasing it. The software company makes more money this way, quicker, and without fully finishing the software. Then all the promises of fixes and improvements roll in... after a few months, maybe even a year the end user realizes they got duped into paying to beta test the product.

I don't get why there's always so much drama over software subscriptions. I'd rather pay less up front and a small monthly fee and I like the regular updates with new features.

Software subscriptions aren't going away. Software development has increased to such a fast pace that I don't think it makes sense to do it any other way. Plus subscriptions do a pretty good job of reducing piracy, and they make expensive software more accessible to small businesses, freelancers and amateurs alike.

GTracer

I discovered a long time ago that the program that always works the best is the one that you know how to use. I would be interested in seeing the image you were working with. From your description, it sounds like some of the problem you are having may be procedural issues. If you would be willing to email to me a copy of the file, I would like to check it out.
Best regards,
Steve

this super super annoying. this does not work for me. i process the image then click on vectorize then i hit text and does not recognize anything.
text is white on black background. illustrator vectorizes it perfectly. i can use it for print but i would like to know what font is it.
i hit process. It creates an outline for the text. i can't delete any noise because it grabs the whole vector file with borders. i click on text and it recognizes the rectangle border. not the font.

got it. right click. break apart (ungroup did not work) then i was able to delete the borders ( boundaries?)

CSOCSO

its was a black background with white text. That was the problem. I inverted the colors in photoshop and I did not have to do any break apart stuff.
It was the simplest image but the black background mess it up.