• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grey Adhesive vs Clear Adhesive.. why use one over the other?

rickmdc

I'm looking at ordering some basic Orafol 3640 Vinyl. I see the 3641 and the only difference is the Grey adhesive. Is there a difference? I'm assuming the brightness of the white might be slightly affected. But is there a reason why one would prefer the grey over the clear? Is the grey better when you're laying the printed vinyl over an older sign? Would love your thoughts and ideas.

Rmurray321

I'm looking at ordering some basic Orafol 3640 Vinyl. I see the 3641 and the only difference is the Grey adhesive. Is there a difference? I'm assuming the brightness of the white might be slightly affected. But is there a reason why one would prefer the grey over the clear? Is the grey better when you're laying the printed vinyl over an older sign? Would love your thoughts and ideas.
Check out the Avery Dennnison MPI 3300/3320. It’s $150 a roll.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the Orafol, it’s super super wrinkly and the backer is annoying.

Personally I always use the grey air egress. It’s overall a better product. If you need a translucent material, get one that’s actually for a translucent application.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
To answer the thread title.... Sooo many reasons why they are both necessary.
Clear is generally going to be translucent, gray will be opaque. I would suggest having each on hand, because it depends on the project, and what your customer(s) need.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Most of the adhesive vinyl we sell has gray adhesive on it nowadays...think of it as a primer before you paint a new color. We still sell a fair amount of clear adhesive for people who don't want to spend the money and time to flood white when printing 2nd surface on acrylic. It is a much less expensive and much faster process to use the white/white adhesive vinyl as a white base then printing a ton of white ink.

rickmdc

Thanks EVERYONE for the amazing info. I went ahead and ordered both. I do have some customers (mainly real estate agents) that do their signs with me, then request just stickers to cover their old brokerage logos when they move brokerages. I've legit learned more in this forum that I have online in other sources in years.

ProColorGraphics

Thanks EVERYONE for the amazing info. I went ahead and ordered both. I do have some customers (mainly real estate agents) that do their signs with me, then request just stickers to cover their old brokerage logos when they move brokerages. I've legit learned more in this forum that I have online in other sources in years.
If you ever want to use a better vinyl, get in touch with the guys at Substance Media! (they sell direct) They have the best calendared vinyl I have ever used.

gnubler

Here is an AWESOME explanation about the use of "grey" adhesive.
Thanks for posting, that was interesting. Always learning something here!

There are so many brands/types of vinyls to choose from sometimes it makes my head spin. I don't know that I'll ever be an expert at knowing which vinyls are best for certain applications. Takes lots of trial & error.