• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grizzly 52" Shear

rdm01

So I picked up a Grizzly shear for cutting aluminum, ACM, and others. I picked this model based on several reviews here. We unloaded easily enough (having a forklift is key there) and got the crate broke down. I was first a little surprised by the amount of cosmoline/grease on the piece. The first test cuts came out slathered in it.

I also couldn't figure out the backstop. When assembled like the instructions, the piece would shoot straight through and complete miss the stop (high). Looking back there, the stop was about 1" low on the left and just barely missing on the right. I don't know why it isn't level (granted this is our first shear purchase, maybe it's by design).

I was forced to flip it to get it to work (see image), but doing so make it hit the mounts on the machine, making so cutting less than about 3" using the stop wouldn't work. I also noticed that while one side of the stop has a threaded nut welded to it for mounting, the other was just a hole, and a separate nut.

Thinking I just got something messed up, hoping someone can take a look and help.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 220

signstation

Hi,
Just wondered how the shear is working out for you?
I am currently looking at the Grizzly because I REALLY dislike the whole edge cleanup after running materials through a bench saw! Gets very old very quick!:banghead:
Do you have good results cutting signabond (polymetal, cbond)?
Also, do you think it would be feasible to put lockable castors on this because we have a small shop and often need to move machinery around.
Thanks,
Andy,
The Sign Station.
North Myrtle Beach.

rdm01

We love it. As previously mentioned in other threads, .080" aluminum takes some doing (2 people, perhaps some bouncing on the pedal). It's saved hours of not having to cleanup edges, saw dust, metal shaving. A lot of our production staff is regaining their hearing now that the saw isn't on all day. :smile:

It comes in extremely greasy. You will need some major cleanup at first, or else you're edges will be fine, but your sheets will be covered in cosmoline.

I don't think castors are an option. There is a lot of force being applied to different parts of the machine. Even at 1,200+ pounds, it still walks around our floor when cutting. We need to anchor it to the concrete. You'll need a space of about 5' x 5' dedicated to just the shear.

S'N'S

I have a different shear, but a friend of mine has the same as yours, he threw the guides away and made a bench to go behind which is much better. The off cuts don't fall to the floor now.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Speaking of shears, has anyone ever seen a foot shear bigger than 54" or so? It would be great to be able to cut dibond lengthwise, but I've never seen a foot shear that'll make a 96" cut. The price jump between a foot shear and a power shear is pretty significant.

Speaking of shears, has anyone ever seen a foot shear bigger than 54" or so? It would be great to be able to cut dibond lengthwise, but I've never seen a foot shear that'll make a 96" cut. The price jump between a foot shear and a power shear is pretty significant.

yes they make them that big, they are hydraulic......and big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DerbyCitySignGuy

yes they make them that big, they are hydraulic......and big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah, I'd love to have a power shear, but since we don't do any in house metal fabrication (yet), it would be kind of hard to convince the owner we need to drop $20k on a shear.

I'd never seen a foot shear more than 52", but I was holding out hope. Haha!

S'N'S

Yes there are 8ft stomp shears available (I'd look for a 2nd hand one), I'm kicking myself for buying a 54", should have spent the extra so I could cut sheets length ways.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The main reason there are few stomp shears over 54" is the incredible amount of force you need to shear a piece that long. If you were trying .080 lengthwise you would probably need 6 or 8 people to jump on the stomp to get it to cut through. Wish we had a shear...... one day.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Yes there are 8ft stomp shears available (I'd look for a 2nd hand one), I'm kicking myself for buying a 54", should have spent the extra so I could cut sheets length ways.

Do you happen to know off hand who makes them? I couldn't seem to find one anywhere. I'll keep looking around.

The main reason there are few stomp shears over 54" is the incredible amount of force you need to shear a piece that long. If you were trying .080 lengthwise you would probably need 6 or 8 people to jump on the stomp to get it to cut through. Wish we had a shear...... one day.

Yeah, mostly it would be for cutting .063 aluminum and DiBond. We spend a lot of time cutting down materials on the saw. If I could find a reasonably priced shear, it would save us a bunch of time and money.

AaronSSsignsKC

Yep here ya go we just got this about 3 months ago!!! It has been an amazing change no stomping on any pedals any more!!!!

Attachments

• shear.jpg
    shear.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 153