• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GRRRRR I hate banner vinyl...

LenXIII

Is anyone else running in to these problems? I have tried more brands of vinyl than I can count and they all have similar issues. Random scratches after printed, odd shaped artifacts, vertical faded areas, etc.. All of these vendors around here use ONLY china vinyl and it SUCKS. I am pulling my hair out. Sure a lot of hole in the wall sign guys don't mind selling prescratched banners, but I can't do it.

Here is the newest issue I am having.

New roll. 13oz gloss vinyl. Image looks "faded" with lots of white dots showing through the image. I finally decided to prewipe a few areas of the vinyl with 93% isoprop. alchy and it completely went away. The scratching i was getting all the way up the right side went away too...

What is wrong with all of these vinyls that I cannot get a decent print? Mind you I am paying for the "cheap" vinyl, not the .50-.75 a square vinyl, but I should atleast be able to print a banner without it looking like I drug it down the sidewalk before giving it to the client. Does anyone else have on and off issues with banner vinyl?

PS - I only use 13oz. I have tried Ultraflex, arlon, and a dozen house brand vinyls. All seem to have similar issues.

I had the problem TIME and TIME again with Sign Supply (my local branch really upsets me sometimes, nice folks but countless errors). With their house brand, I see finger prints 15 feet into the roll, etc. etc.

I use Grimco's Key - never had a problem with it, or their customer service. Very satisfied with their stuff, maybe give it a shot. Economically priced too.

gabagoo

I too have gone through continual rolls of different brands of vinyl. Once it arrives and I see the packaging it is pretty obvious itcomes from the same factory in China. Some of them are packaged so crazy that I still havenot figured out a fast and efficient way to open them. Usually they come wrapped in this carbon fiber looking paper with big plastic rings staple gunned into the cardboard core!!! Hit and miss!!!

RG

I must agree with PPG. Grimco's Key banner is tops. And their customer service can not be beat. I'll never waste another dime on any of Lexjet's brand vinyl or banner.

Steve Werner

Try Herculite Bantex, made in Emigsville, PA. I quit selling other brands from offshore, too many returns. Go to Bantex website will tell you the name of a distributor in your area and they can set you up with a sample roll.

I too have gone through continual rolls of different brands of vinyl. Once it arrives and I see the packaging it is pretty obvious itcomes from the same factory in China. Some of them are packaged so crazy that I still havenot figured out a fast and efficient way to open them. Usually they come wrapped in this carbon fiber looking paper with big plastic rings staple gunned into the cardboard core!!! Hit and miss!!!

I know exactly what ya mean -call me lazy, but I completely dread opening those jokers because it wears me out so much. I look like an acrobat holding it, cutting it, slding it out, etc. etc.

LenXIII

Wow, I wasn't expecting so much feedback so quickly. Thank you very much, I will take these replies seriously and check out Grimco. I use sign supply as well here in FL, and that is the vinyl I was printed tonight with the above mentioned issues.

I have never purchased from Grimco, although there is a location about 15 minutes away from me. I will try their vinyl if it is in the same price range as sign supplies, or atleast somewhat close!

Mosh

We used to see lots of fingerprints on our banner material. Now we use KEY from Grimco, no problems after 30-40 rolls!

Malkin

We use LG Bannux, and while I haven't had many of those issues, there is one that continuously plagues me. I always get streaks, trailing off the leading edge, where the rollers happened to hit it. Usually I mark it and advance so I don't print on the part that was exposed, but today even that didn't make a difference. I think it may be static related, and I have a lot to learn in that department.

cgsigns_jamie

Man, I went through 40 today alone.

It's all those "Feed the Children" banners the reverend keeps ordering.

... Sorry I couldn't help myself

LenXIII

Does anyone mind telling me what they pay for the KEY vinyl along with its size? Or if you happen to know the list price, I will accept that to get an idea on where I can negotiate to. I checked their website and catalog, but no prices were listed.

858Graphics

www.858graphics.com
Try playing with your profiles or laying more ink down, we have minor problems on our Roland but absolutely nothing on our solvent Seiko. I have never seen ultrafelx with issues, try the higher end ultraflex. Make sure your suppliers credit you for this!

grafixemporium

We've been using Key 13oz matte from Grimco for 95% of the banners we print for over a year. Haven't had a single problem with it yet.

LenXIII

One of my suppliers (Sign Supply USA) Doesn't carry anything but the lower end ultraflex. It is pretty good overall with the exception that if you look closely at the vinyl you can see very small holes in the vinyl (not all the way through, but atleast through the top layer) and my ink doesnt seem to sit well on them. I get small white dots every where there is a hole in the vinyl.

I will be calling Grimco tomorrow for pricing on the key 13oz. I found a physical catalog here in the office that has pricing and as long as they can negotiate a little we should be in business. I didn't realise Grimco sold so many substraights, I always thought of them as more of a supplier of mounting substraights and supplies...

Wow, I wasn't expecting so much feedback so quickly. Thank you very much, I will take these replies seriously and check out Grimco. I use sign supply as well here in FL, and that is the vinyl I was printed tonight with the above mentioned issues.

I have never purchased from Grimco, although there is a location about 15 minutes away from me. I will try their vinyl if it is in the same price range as sign supplies, or atleast somewhat close!

Definitely give Grimco a call, they are Excellent. I've still got a roll of Sign Supply stuff sitting here. Whenever I have a lot of time, i'll run a banner on it and stand behind it and constantly wipe it down with Alcohol - but that's the only sure way to get it to come out good..otherwise, might print 10' then the last 2' is where it'll mess up..

Grimco's Key is excellent, you won't be disappointed. It's also spooled print side in so makee nice for handling, never have to worry really about getting stuff on the print side.