• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Handmade Sign-What you think

Fatboy

I did this for a customer in Cape Town

Attachments

• DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 142

Billct2

If it's handpainted you obviously have artistic talent.
If you fabricated the sign you possess fabrication talent...

Now you need to work on your sign design skills.

SignManiac

The overall concept is nice but your font selection and sizes don't flow well together. I'd have gone a totally different direction with that but all in all, a nice effort on your part. Is it painted and what did you use for paint and brushes?

Steve C.

The sign is well done, especially if it is handpainted. As others have said
your layout is lacking. I like the font but a light weight style like that needs
an outline or heavy contour to give it some punch, using a color with a value
slightly darker than the backgroune. I would have filled up the arch at the
top with the floral designs and more of a formal ballance on the sides. JMO.

Jillbeans

The roses look pretty.
I agree with the others.
This could have been a really good sign.
It has a certain charm, but if you would have not squished the name font, tightened up the elements, and perhaps added a panel for the number and reversed out the colors, it would have been much nicer.
Thanks for sharing it and don't let our well-intended critique scare you from posting pix again.
Love....Jill

Fatboy

Now it is not handpainted.Please give some tips on what you mean by the rest of the comment.

Fatboy

Guys ,thank you very much for all the input. Here is the bad news. It is nor handpainted. It is decoupage and then protected with an automotive cleat spray to protect it. Thank yo for all the input.

SignManiac

Here's another way you could have gone. I butchered up you photo but this gives you the idea as per Mike's suggestions.

Attachments

• Honeysuckle.jpg
    Honeysuckle.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 126

SignManiac

Well if you're able to take constructive criticism, you will learn a lot here. I won't say that you won't get some negative comments but you will learn a lot from the positive ones for sure.

GB2

Old Member
Don't forget it was decoupage and therefore he probably had limited control over some of the design elements everyone is talking about. I think it was a fine effort and we welcome your posting it here for discussion.

OldPaint

your mistake was what you called it. HANDMADE SIGN. in here, that has a meaning different then yours. for me this is HAND MADE, i used nothing other then 1 SHOT, brush and a pencil. after i did this doorway, i also HAND PAINTED all 4 walls around this dining room, 6-8 inches below the ceiling. then i did the staircase same way in the main entrance.

Attachments

• flowers.jpg
    flowers.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 128

Fatboy

your mistake was what you called it. HANDMADE SIGN. in here, that has a meaning different then yours. for me this is HAND MADE, i used nothing other then 1 SHOT, brush and a pencil. after i did this doorway, i also HAND PAINTED all 4 walls around this dining room, 6-8 inches below the ceiling. then i did the staircase same way in the main entrance.

I hear what you are saying but the sign is handmade. My experience and expetiece lies in making the moulds for our signs.....therefore we feel our signs are made by hand from scratch. It is not handpainted though. The sign was made for an elderly lady.
But once again....just in one thread I have learned so much. Thank you guys.

Fatboy

I hear what you are saying but the sign is handmade. My experience and expetiece lies in making the moulds for our signs.....therefore we feel our signs are made by hand from scratch. It is not handpainted though. The sign was made for an elderly lady.
But once again....just in one thread I have learned so much. Thank you guys.