• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hanging Rail Attachment

Sign Works

What method are you using to attach hanging rail to sign face (polycarbonate)? I see a lot of them attached with rivits, any paticular reason why one would use rivits? I have always attached them with Weld-on, any reason why you would advise against this method?

printhog

What method are you using to attach hanging rail to sign face (polycarbonate)? I see a lot of them attached with rivits, any paticular reason why one would use rivits? I have always attached them with Weld-on, any reason why you would advise against this method?
Polycarbonate manufacturers recommend that structural connections have mechanical fasteners. Adhesives can fail from flexing and solvent welded connections can break. The rivets act to bond the dissimilar metal of the hang rail with the plastic and to reinforce the joint if you use two strips of poly.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Frank Linson

Printhog is correct. Polycarbonates do not weld well after time and stress. rivets should work fine and have clearance to slide into hanging bar slots, or if you have a "picture frame" retainer where it is not just an angle piece but a 'C' channel the bar fits on the outside of the face. you may need to counter sink your rivet heads and use the correct lengeth rivet.