• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HDU just put up, Someone hit it with a Hammer

Nat

I Just Put up This this HDU Post and Panel style sign on Sunday and someone around Tuesday Morning Took a Hammer to it!!!
There are about 20 dents in a VERY visible spot across the face of the sign. They are deep enough that I think need to be filled,
only a couple spots the Paint was broken or cracked.
Any suggestions will be Greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Nat deVries
President
Signarama-Napa/Vallejo HDU sign.jpg IMG_20140625_110526_471.jpg IMG_20140625_110541_199.jpg

Billct2

To fix it right you'd need to fill the dents, sand & repaint. I'd want to take it down and back to the shop.
Insurance may cover it, but signs aren't always covered without adding them as a rider on the policy.
Since they obviously have an enemy they should alos install a camera to monitor it and do some vandal prvevtative landscaping around it,
rose bushes and barberry are effective.

letterman7

WTF? Some people just have nothing better to do. Kinda weird though..

As for the fix... take it down, and and fill the dents and repaint. Lots less hassle then trying to do it onsite. Don't forget to charge for it... sometimes the clients can submit that kind of thing to their insurance companies with the right photos.

Nat

I Agree on the "Kinda Weird".

If you were trying to Deface or Vandalize this sign, Why would you not hit it where the letters are?
I'm not sure what to call this damage?

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
hammer time

Okay, my question is similiar to this problem, but, what do you fix HDU with??
-Mosher

letterman7

I've gotten away with vinyl spackle and a couple good coats of sandable primer. You don't want anything harder than the HDU or it'll sand completely different.

phototec

Wow, I don't know if I would call them kids, they are PUNKs...

And not sure it was a hammer, looks more like the end of a log poll of some kind. Wouldn't a hammer make at least one ROUND impression?

As to the fix, myself, I would only do it the RIGHT way, as mentioned, take it to the shop completely sand and fill the entire area and re-paint so it doesn't look like a patch job.

If you just try to sand and fill the dimples, then paint just those areas, in the right light you will be able to tell the repaired areas.

Good luck whatever you do.

tbullo

Superunknown
If the paint is still intact I would try a heat gun first. I have fixed many HDU (Signfoam brand is what I use) signs with golf ball damage like this. Slowly heat the area around the damage area in a circular motion. Don't stay in one spot to long as you could blister the paint. You will be surprised how deep of a dent you can remove this way. If you mess the paint up you can still heat them up to flush them off and repaint. You can practice on a scrap piece of signfoam. Hit it with a hammer and heat it up and you can slowly watch it raise back up. Only works with dents not gauges.

sardocs

If the dents are all in that same area could you maybe just install a raised triangular panel over that area?

Nat

I was just informed that someone took a screwdriver or similar object to the face of the sign over the weekend.

Sign Works

Many locations vandals are just hell bent on destroying anything shiney and new, short of putting it 30 feet up in the air there is not really much else you can do.

jfiscus

Rap Master
They may want to double-check their security there and/or their surveillance system; to me this looks like the work of someone trying to intimidate someone else.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
From the first time I saw the photos that you put up, I was thinking "Child" because the dents aren't very deep, as in not much strength was used. And they are all about eye level to a little kid. which is where they would do it. I won't be surprised if you find out that it was some little kid and whatever toy he was carrying. And his mother who wasn't paying attention to him for a minute or two. As they were walking down the sidewalk.