• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hello from Fairfield Glade Tennessee

don62

i am a retiree and have been into cnc since i purchased a shopbot prt way back in 2000. absolutley amazing machine that has opened a whole new world to me. friend and i had a home based business specializing in items made from scrap solid surface material. made many signs both for indoor and outdoor use. i use vectric aspire for all my layout work - great program capable of 2d and 3d designing. our church recently did a major expansion and i did the room signs out of solid surface - simple basic signs. now i want to make direction signs using both colorcore and sign foam (hdu). i want these signs to have so apeal to them, but these are two new mediums for me. test runs engraving colorcore samples have had a mixed result. and painting sign foam, particularly multicolored detailed graphics is a mystery to me. i am looking for guidance and possibly hands on training in this area. thanks, don

Saw Trax

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a fan of both Shopbot and Aspire. I use to own a Shopbot as well and created a ton of great signs with it - mostly out of HDU. I used Artcam at the time and played around with Aspire as well (I believe some of the developers for aspire originally worked at Artcam).

When painting HDU try to get a nice base coat of primer on it before laying in any color - then just paint it like you would if it was a wooden sign.

-Larry