• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

help applying chrome

notice

Hello I am new to the sign industry and yesterday i did a job for a guy. It was diamond plate chrome on the bottom foot of his truck. I used raipid tc to apply it but this morning when he woke up it was half gone just ripped off or something. could someone let me know what I did wrong

gabagoo

I would probably think that a polyester or mylar is not so wet friendly without an extensive dryout time.
I know the stuff is very rigid and not very conformatable to curved surfaces.

notice

Can you usually apply chrome wet or should you apply it dry? I havent had much experience with it yet

that stuff the manufacturer states in the instructions when you buythe rolls to NEVER apply wet. that stuff is dry apply only and is pretty ridgid, will not conform to curves etc.

we have used that very same stuff(diamond plate) in the past a few times and only dry apply and on a flat surface without any problems.

J

john1

I have always applied chrome, reflective and other vinyls wet with no issues at ALL.

That diamond plate stuff is super thick so if it was going on a curve i wouldn't be surprised it didn't warp up and fall off.

cwb143

Did you clean the surface good first? Rapid tac is a rip off anyway. Good ol soapy water is the best I've found. and way cheaper.