• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help choosing computer??

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
yes. and it takes 11 cpu hours to create a single frame So I am pretty sure you don't need a $600 gpu to fool around with vector files
nvidia quadro 5000 costs $200

Jwalk

16 g Ram, quad processer and a great graphics card. If you are going to get a tablet get a wacom. I got,, Asus gaming lap top and intuos wacom tablet .

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

lbpalm

Macbook pro.. they are solid and built really well. Can also run Windows on it.. I've grown up with pcs and mac and just prefer osx... seems cleaner and less tacky.

Nice machine, but the last time I tried, Flexi will not run in bootcamp (if that is what you are doing)
Might be worth checking out if flexi will be in your workflow on that machine..

lbpalm

yes. and it takes 11 cpu hours to create a single frame So I am pretty sure you don't need a $600 gpu to fool around with vector files
nvidia quadro 5000 costs $200

More like this one:
PNY Quadro M6000 VCQM6000-24GB-PB 24GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0x16 Dual Slot Workstation Video Card-Newegg.com

- The Quadro 5000 is a legacy board which was eclipsed by the stunningly good Geoforce series a while ago.

We do this kind of work on our systems,

floor shot small.jpg
render.jpg

so yes, the build I scoped out was truly at the ceiling for signage etc. design:
Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 Performance Results - UserBenchmark
((the report is incorrect in that the Mushkin drive's only purpose is to serve up the system swap file - The boot drive is actually a Samsung Evo 950 1tb & is somehow missing from the report))

.. lol:
UserBenchmark: Nvidia GTX 1080 vs Quadro K6000

((the Q6000's only purpose is to hold heavier model sets & more texels - for those who actually need it))

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Nice machine, but the last time I tried, Flexi will not run in bootcamp (if that is what you are doing)
Might be worth checking out if flexi will be in your workflow on that machine..

Running it in a VM would be a whole lot better. Providing the resources are there to essentially run 2 computers at the same time.

Dual booting is one that I don't necessarily advocate for doing, even if there isn't a problem with individual programs (which I would imagine that there would be more of an issue with a VM then dual booting, but who knows with some programs). Something as simple as how one OS determines time versus the next OS can have some nasty issues pop up if they both have direct access to hardware.

A lot of efficiency "hits" when dual booting as well. Plus, it's easier to isolate the secondary/guest OS in a VM.

Jwalk

PC all the way. IMO pound for pound there's no diff. You would have to be at the top of the game to even notice a difference and still I see top notch professionals sticking with PC.
To top it off all that proprietary crap/ stuff that macs put out is IMO a real insult. Total money grab.
I enjoy the opportunity to make my own decision and not have to be stuck with one option. Fah get about it. Its a fugazee.

To add to my previous post about Wacom which for now I am not changing but the Microsoft surface pro seems to be making a good product too.

WildWestDesigns

To top it off all that proprietary crap/ stuff that macs put out is IMO a real insult. Total money grab.
I enjoy the opportunity to make my own decision and not have to be stuck with one option. Fah get about it. Its a fugazee.

I agree with that, especially considering the quote "Customers don't know what they want until you tell them."

However, Windows does it as well. Can't really get away from it as easily as one would think.

About the only way around that is really open source. Linux (even using WINE), doesn't have much option. Some, but not for everything (certainly not in my trade). About the only other alternative is something like ReactOS (open source version of the NT kernal, binary compatible with Windows apps), but that has been in a perpetual state of alpha since the 9x days. Maybe by the time my son is my age it might be stable for deployment.