• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP e074err Y Current

SAFASTRO

Hey Jiarby.......is that the only thing that was throwing that error??
I've been getting the same error constantly and can't seem to figure it out. I'll check that bracket when I get in to the office tomorrow. Thanks for the picture.
Does anyone know what the E074 CR2 current error actually means??

SAFASTRO

Well, the E074err CR2 Current error is getting reaaly old!!!!
We've been talking to about 5 different techs, and they all seem to be running in the same circle!! The main tech we talked to was going to send us the CR motor, and MAIN board. He said, try the motor first. Well after the overnight shipping, and chasing down the Fed-Ex guy, hey sent us a new CR board, MAIN board.......no motor. So we thought, what the heck, lets throw'em both in. No go!!!

Now I'm waiting for the new motor to show up first thing tomorrow morning.

I'm pretty confident in that after reading this thread the problem is the CR Motor. With my side cover off, and doing an endurance test on the CR Motor, if I just put a little resistance on the pulley driving the head, the error flashes again. So, since there are no obstructions touching the head.....it only leads me to believe that the motor is toast.

I should know by morning!!!!

SAFASTRO

Well......this morning the motor showed up....was installed.....and no changes!!!
Since the head would stop at the end of a stroke, we flipped the T-fence end to end.......still no changes!!!
Then we started inspecting the heck out of everything possible.......all wires.....connections.....ink splatter.....then......what did we see???? A cracked bearing holder that holds the bearing to the back side of the rail. I pushed up on the spring tensioner many times, but this time wiggled the bearing a bit, and wham!!!!! It fell off!!!! Pulled the bearing holder and bearing off.......now no problem.......I've been printing for an hour now with no more error codes!!!!!
WOOOHOO!!!!
Mutoh is shipping out a new part as we speak. The tech on the phone said we could still run the machine temporarily without it on. Thank the good Lord for that!!

Tiogy

The loose pulley on the Y motor is a very common issue. Both ours and a friends had the issue and the new motors have be redesigned to eliminate the problem.

android606

I also had this 074err Y Timeout error, happening completely at random, immediately following a cleaning cycle.

In my case, it turned out that the spit cup had broken loose from it's little plastic bracket and was flopping around. Sometimes, it would move just right to strike the print head and cause this error. It only caused the tiniest amount of resistance, but that was all it took.

I glued the broken bracket back together, and now it works great.

I just wanted to post this here for anyone else that might be having this problem.

RG

Thanks, android606. That's good to know. If you are like me and have to be your own tech support team, then you need all the info you can get.

jlynn

Y issues

I also had this 074err Y Timeout error, happening completely at random, immediately following a cleaning cycle.

In my case, it turned out that the spit cup had broken loose from it's little plastic bracket and was flopping around. Sometimes, it would move just right to strike the print head and cause this error. It only caused the tiniest amount of resistance, but that was all it took.

I glued the broken bracket back together, and now it works great.

I just wanted to post this here for anyone else that might be having this problem.

I am having this same issue at the end of a cleaning cycle. Can someone explain more about the spit cup? Not sure what that is.

Graphics2u

I am having this same issue at the end of a cleaning cycle. Can someone explain more about the spit cup? Not sure what that is.
The spit cup is directly left of the capping station (where the heads rest when not in use. Its a plastic cup with a foam pad in it and the printer fires or spits into it on every pass. So it will be all black and extremely messy. make sure it tight and that the head clears it freely when it passes over it.

cmykgraphic

Mutoh error

i got the same error when the printer move back to the right. When i turn on the machine, the machine initialize and move the printhead to the right and it appear this error. y current error.

Does any body know how to fix it? I checked and cleaned everything and couldn't find any broken or loose parts.

808tlt

e074err y current

i got that code ofter and could not figure out why then 1 late night i took the side cover off and noticed when the cage moves all the way to the right side the lever that allows you to lock the media was binding. So my customer had some lithium grease in his truck lubed it and it's been 3 weeks since with no problems. Before lube at least 2-3 a week.

AUTO-FX

I have been struggling with this " E074 ERR Y CURRENT " all day. After the Mutoh website directed me to this very thread , i went over the following;
checked pulley for slip - good
checked , cleaned encoder strip - good
checked and lubed bearings - good
checked for any rolling resistance along the carriage travel - good
Secured the spit box - good
Checked home position sensor for mechanical operation - good

I find that upon initial start up and media confirmation, as soon as it goes back to home and touches the plunger mechanism/paper lever block, it throws the error. I have blocked out the plunger out so there is no more contact and printing has resumed without error. So why the sudden hypersensitivity to pushing against the plunger? I have lubed it and inspected it, seems to operate freely. Any ideas? Thank you.

Graphics2u

I have been struggling with this " E074 ERR Y CURRENT " all day. After the Mutoh website directed me to this very thread , i went over the following;
checked pulley for slip - good
checked , cleaned encoder strip - good
checked and lubed bearings - good
checked for any rolling resistance along the carriage travel - good
Secured the spit box - good
Checked home position sensor for mechanical operation - good

I find that upon initial start up and media confirmation, as soon as it goes back to home and touches the plunger mechanism/paper lever block, it throws the error. I have blocked out the plunger out so there is no more contact and printing has resumed without error. So why the sudden hypersensitivity to pushing against the plunger? I have lubed it and inspected it, seems to operate freely. Any ideas? Thank you.
How are you checking the pulley for slipping? Take the steel belt completely loose if you feel comfortable doing that and then check out the pulley. The tension on the steel belt can make the pulley seem tight. Also it could just be too loose of tension on the belt itself. And those little clips can be a problem.

randya

It is possible that the lock mechanism is bent, so it is not meeting the carriage at the correct place.

It is also possible that it is not releasing properly when the carriage returns.

Can you take a couple of good pics of the lock mechanism?

AUTO-FX

I cant take pictures just yet, i am printing. The lock "tang" up top that holds the carriage at home isnt the issue , it is when the carriage comes all the way to the right and touches the lock out mechanism for the media lever it detects too much resistance and throws the code. I have blocked the lockout mechnism in the out position so the carriage no longers hits it upon returning home , and there are no problems. I could just leave it like that, but 1) the media lever may now be raised accidently while printing, which is unlikely and 2) i fear that there is an underlying problem that may further manifest itself in an untimely manner.

pictures when the opportunity arises!

AUTO-FX

Here are some pictures, and thanks for taking the time to look. BTW, I tested the slipping issue by clamping the shaft end which protrudes from the bottom of the motor, and attempting to turn the pulley.
Picture 1 shows how i have shimmed out the media lever lockout mechanism so that the carriage doesnt run into it when returning home.
Picture 2 - carriage in home position ( no shim )
Picture 3 - I think i ruled out any issue with the lock tang at the top by removing it entirely and cycling through both with and without it.
Picture 4 - the two plungers with the cross connecting piece in the fully extended position ( no shim ) (For anyone who isnt familiar , it is located directly below the red coated screw head on the housing, right side of picture) I have inspected the grommets and lubricated these plunger shafts and felt no undue resistance when moved by hand.

thanks again

Attachments

• printerpics2 001.jpg
    printerpics2 001.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 159
  • printerpics2 002.jpg
    printerpics2 002.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 131
  • printerpics2 003.jpg
    printerpics2 003.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 121
  • printerpics2 004.jpg
    printerpics2 004.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 154

tbaker

I just replaced the maintenance station in a client's printer, and this same exact problem cropped up. I fought for quite a bit to get it to quit erroring out, and the only thing that stopped it, was to release some of the tension on the retaining clip that you see in your 3rd picture. ( I bent it up a bit). Once I did that, the errors disappeared.

AUTO-FX

so, the resistance was coming when it clipped into the retainer. Hmmm. I did try to optimize the position of that retainer. Maybe I will play with it some more. Thanks!

randya

I think tbaker has the right idea.

That spring (clip) tension is a bit touchy, bend it up a little.