• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help me decide! Anyone out here with either the Roland RF-640 or EJ-640?

Bringing this back up,
I can get the Ej 640 for 13,000 after my trade in on my XC540.. I was told that the Rf640 is no faster than my xc540... Is there anyone on here that has an EJ640?
Thanks!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Was in exact same dilemma only I'm not getting a trade in but the $6000 off the EJ was tempting. My Roland tech told me the EJ is way to fast for wraps and best suited for Banners...due to too much ink too fast.
That being said, if you're just doing banners, maybe it's the ideal printer for you.
As for Eco Sol not being good for take-up...so you must get a latex...boooo.
I've been running roll to roll prints on take-up for years with no issues. There are also post heater attachments you can get for the RF and I believe the EJ comes with it's own on-board one.

Was in exact same dilemma only I'm not getting a trade in but the $6000 off the EJ was tempting. My Roland tech told me the EJ is way to fast for wraps and best suited for Banners...due to too much ink too fast.
That being said, if you're just doing banners, maybe it's the ideal printer for you.
As for Eco Sol not being good for take-up...so you must get a latex...boooo.
I've been running roll to roll prints on take-up for years with no issues. There are also post heater attachments you can get for the RF and I believe the EJ comes with it's own on-board one.

Wraps arent my main business.. People are too cheap around here, but they are rolling in more frequently.. So he said the EJ is too fast for wraps? Doesnt the speed depend soley on the profile selected? Mimaki printers I believe also have a mirrored head setup.. Hmmmmm.. Now I am even more undecided. I want this to be a printer that is going to suite most all of my needs..

If I could find a good deal on a 74" plus printer I would buy one.. But for now I guess anything I do over 5 ft will be subbed out.

Any other info, advice, pros or cons??
Thanks Kentucky wraps for the info.

Gene@mpls

I don't know, but- pretty sure the RF would not be as fast as your XC. On the EJ I would do some research on the dual heads (same head as the RF) I have read (on this board) have problems with syncing together. Search for info on the XR which is the same config.

rjssigns

As far as there being more HP techs here is something to think about. With a Roland printer there is a robust aftermarket parts supply. Add to that Signs 101 members that are handy and have fixed all kinds of things and have been kind enough to post solutions.

Signs 101 "techs" are available to troubleshoot day or night and even weekends. I have found this an invaluable resource.

HP has zero aftermarket parts and no one but the techs know how to fix them.

My nearest tech for HP or Roland would cost $400 for the call out plus $150 an hour. Fortunately I have been able to fix my Roland myself. Once you lift the hood there ain't much goin' on.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
As far as there being more HP techs here is something to think about. With a Roland printer there is a robust aftermarket parts supply. Add to that Signs 101 members that are handy and have fixed all kinds of things and have been kind enough to post solutions.

Signs 101 "techs" are available to troubleshoot day or night and even weekends. I have found this an invaluable resource.

HP has zero aftermarket parts and no one but the techs know how to fix them.

My nearest tech for HP or Roland would cost $400 for the call out plus $150 an hour. Fortunately I have been able to fix my Roland myself. Once you lift the hood there ain't much goin' on.

If you had the warranty with HP then you should have next day on-site support I would think. That's how I offer it at least.

rjssigns

If you had the warranty with HP then you should have next day on-site support I would think. That's how I offer it at least.

I should have been a tad more specific. I was talking in terms of after the factory warranty expires. I understand I can get extended warranties from all the manufacturers. Just don't feel like spending $2500 or more per year for plan.

Of course I'm the same way with extended warranties on anything. Bought a washer and the sales guy asked if I wanted the extended warranty. So I asked: "Why, are you selling me a piece of junk?" Kodak moment right there on top of watching him try to come up with an answer.

IMO if whatever they're selling is so good warranty it as such.

Gene@mpls

I can't say I have never seen banding, but only on a couple of colors- (I use Roland spot colors) and usually changing to a color that is close will solve it. The RF has only one head BTW.