• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help me pick a calendered wrap vinyl

JgS

I am going to be wrapping a trailer that had all flat surfaces and no rivets. I need to do this as expensiveness as possible. The trailer will only be used a couple times a month and the rest of the time be parked where it can be seen from the road.

I don't have a lot of experience with calendered wrap vinyls so I was hoping to for some advice on my best bang for the buck. Originally I was going to go with Instant one Media because I have had good luck using it on sight signs. But sadly they are out of stock. So now I am thinking of maybe using IJ40C, orajet 3551 or 3169 or anything else you might suggest. thanks.

wildside

I need to do this as expensiveness as possible. The trailer will only be used a couple times a month and the rest of the time be parked where it can be seen from the road.

don't matter where it is parked or moving, it is still a vehicle, and i would still use cast personally, if they can't afford the material, maybe they shouldn't be wrapping anything.....

oracal has a comply style calendared, we used it once and thought it seemed brittle, but that is the calendared part i guess, i would use cast also for the removal process down the road, calendared will teach you a lesson during removal on a trailer for sure, even if i would not be the one removing later i would still not wish calendared removal on anybody 3 years later, its like stepping on a lego..... you never forget....

Mosh

Using it or not, if it is outside it is outside. Use a cal film wait until you have to try and remove it....you will have more in labor than if you would have just used the right material in the first place. Low balling corner cutting will end up biting you in the rear every time.

That being said, a good cal film is Orajet 3640 with 210 laminate.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I agree with wildside but if the customer insists on going with the cheaper vinyl, my customers have had success with the Arlon DPF4560GTX and a Cast laminate like Arlon 3220. The laminate stabilizes the calendared vinyl and protects the print. This combination can be used on flat surface's and some curves but absolutely no corners or rivets.

HulkSmash

If you're going to use a calendered vinyl, which i strongly do not recommend - ij40c is the way to go.

JgS

Thanks. I wish I could just use the IJ180 like I usually do. But sadly it isn't in the budget for this one.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I once wrapped a buddy's autocross car with a calendared Arlon. Five or so years later, they're still on the car, even though he's since sold it. The person who bought it asked me once about taking them off. I told her she needed a heat gun and a lot of time. And probably new paint afterwards. But, it was/is a race car. We figured it would be wrecked anyway.
To the issue at hand, though, I was quite impressed with General Formulations' AutoMark material. It's a calendared vinyl designed for printing, with the air egress channels. It gives a very nice print and, when paired with the appropriate gloss overlaminate, is great. We used it recently on this bus and it worked like a charm. It does say, though, that it's not meant for complex curves- so I wouldn't try to wrap a PT Cruiser or a Beetle with it.
100_0447.jpg

2B

since they want bottom dollar Oracal 3551 or 3M IJ40 are listed as flat vehicle calendar.

NOTE: Fellers has the 3751 bundle list as only $36 dollars more than the 3551 bundle

rturner381

Hey, what about the S101 advertiser, Instant One Media? Air release, calendared vinyl 54 x 150 $129.99 gloss laminate 54 x 150 $99.99

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I deal a 2Mil CAST AIR RELEASE 54"x75' and 2Mil CAST LAMINATE 54"x75' for $450 and you get a roll of each

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hey, what about the S101 advertiser, Instant One Media? Air release, calendared vinyl 54 x 150 $129.99 gloss laminate 54 x 150 $99.99

Or you can buy it from me at $105 for the calendared air release and $95 for laminate but you should not to wraps with it.

fresh

I once wrapped a buddy's autocross car with a calendared Arlon. Five or so years later, they're still on the car, even though he's since sold it. The person who bought it asked me once about taking them off. I told her she needed a heat gun and a lot of time. And probably new paint afterwards. But, it was/is a race car. We figured it would be wrecked anyway.
To the issue at hand, though, I was quite impressed with General Formulations' AutoMark material. It's a calendared vinyl designed for printing, with the air egress channels. It gives a very nice print and, when paired with the appropriate gloss overlaminate, is great. We used it recently on this bus and it worked like a charm. It does say, though, that it's not meant for complex curves- so I wouldn't try to wrap a PT Cruiser or a Beetle with it.
View attachment 96924

I've also had good results with automark

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We had a new customer come in wanting us to remove a wrap they had done by another shop. They pulled their original invoice - the other fly by night place sold them the wrap on Automark. The wrap had only been on 2 years. I told them we have never worked with Automark material before and I'd need to test remove a small 6 inch or so section on the back of the van first. It left 100% of the adhesive behind and was a pain just to remove that bit and then even straight xylol could barely cut through the nasty adhesive. I told them it would be $1200 to strip the entire van, I then told them that if it was printed on 3M their up front cost would have been a few hundred more but the removal would only have been about $200 on the removal after 2 years.

Sometimes its good to see someone really get to understand why the cheapest price in town is not always the best option or in their best interest.... They were pretty pissed. They are going to strip it themselves. I gave them advice on how to go about it. They thanks me and have already gave a deposit for us to start the artwork on the wrap for the new van they are buying.

The short of it - over the years, almost every single time I have encountered the cheapest stuff you can buy.... I quickly am reaffirmed why the cheapest crap is just not worth it. Not for my company anyways. We have built our reputation on quality.

JgS

Thanks for all the advice. The customer is aware of the downfalls with cheep vinyl but isn't concerned since the trailer will be resurfaced in the near future.

Instant One personally called to let me know they are back in stock and took my order over the phone. Great customer service!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Thanks for all the advice. The customer is aware of the downfalls with cheep vinyl but isn't concerned since the trailer will be resurfaced in the near future.

Instant One personally called to let me know they are back in stock and took my order over the phone. Great customer service!

Right on, I guess me having the same product at a better price doesn't mean much lol. At least you were taken care of

JgS

Sorry they called before I saw your post. I may take you up on that cast bundle soon though.