• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help!!! No magenta

decalit

On my last print tonight my magenta completely quit... Can't siphon any out??? About 95% sure my two carts are not empty... Jv3 160. Don't want to leave it over night not moving ink.. New at printing and not sure what to do

artbot

still there or did you head out? no ink as in empty ink tubes. as far a the cartridges, pull one to see if it's empty. if it is and you need the heads to stay wet for the weekend, pinch off the drain tubes and fill up the caps with cleaning solution, then park the carriage. when you get back to the printer remember that the wiper will be gummed up and need solvent (it can glue itself to the back of the doghouse).

decalit

Yeah I parked the heads in solution before I left headed back now to work on it some more... I will have to check the cartridge but I just replaced one about a week or two and I do very little printing...

decalit

Still working on this... Cartridge has plenty of ink... Pump seems to work to pump cleaning fluid through so I think it's working.... Help please

artbot

are you saying that you put a cleaning cart in the magenta slot and it pulled just fine? if so, you can only blame the cartridge.

decalit

No when I do a nozzle wash it pumps the solution out. I took apart the dock station and did not find any problems there.... Really baffled

artbot

having a bit of trouble following the chain of events. "in number order" is the best way to isolate on a thread. i'm not there watching and recording each event. one single thing out of place will point out the issue immediately.

if you will, bulleted, list what does work and does not work.

decalit

having a bit of trouble following the chain of events. "in number order" is the best way to isolate on a thread. i'm not there watching and recording each event. one single thing out of place will point out the issue immediately.

if you will, bulleted, list what does work and does not work.

Sorry I have been using my smartphone... makes things a little harder to explain.
* I was using my printer yesterday without issue
* On my last print the magenta stopped work printing
* I did a test print- all nozzles were working perfect, except magenta- not a drop of ink
*I tried to suck ink up to the pump with my syringe from the drain- not a drop
* I did a nozzle clean to see if it would hold cleaning solution- it did- so no leak from capping station down
* After nozzle clean the pump pumps out the cleaning solution from capping station so I think pump is working
* It has 2 magenta carts. but have plenty of ink
* also having two carts. I would not think it would be between the cartridge and the head because you would think one of them would still be working
Thanks for your help

artbot

is there magenta ink in the lines, or has it run back toward the carts?

if you place a magenta damper on a different head (black manifold) can you pull magenta at that cap top? and if you put a black damper on a magenta manifold can you pull black at that cap top?

when attempting to pull ink at the magenta drain line, does is feel like there is vacuum resistance or does the syringe give way and pull out easily?

can you here a very faint hissing noise at the magenta drain tube unlike other drain tubes?
if so, have a partner place a medium force upward on the bottom of the capping station and pull a vacuum on the drain line again, does magenta now pull (if so stretch out the spring on the magenta cap to add force against the head).

decalit

Ok.... I hooked my magenta dampers to the black head and the black ink to the magenta head..... The black comes out of the magenta head but once again no magenta out of the black head...... Obviously there is something wrong from the head to the ink cartridge... Just find it odd that something happens to both lines at once.... What should I try next...

artbot

a simultaneous failure of both magenta ink lines (damper/line/cart) is almost impossible.

pull a vacuum on both of the magenta dampers and observe the membrane of the damper. does it concave down much more aggressively than a black damper? damper membranes will always concave but they will relax a good bit in a minute or so. a membrane that stays down shows a kink or clog. also carts can get a piece of label paper jammed in the black neoprene orifice that feeds the out the ink but still, both at the same time is odd.

i'd at least backwards flush the magenta out of the lines (put an empty in the magenta spots and force solvent backwards into this cart).

decalit

Even more proplexing .... There is plenty of ink in the dampers... It vacuums out easy.... Seems to function same as black... I guess I will call a tech and spend a fortune on service

decalit

Put everything back... Magenta works great... Blacks not working... Fml... I need to sell this printer... I'm in way over my head I guess

artbot

magenta may be working because it was primed either manually or by the black channels cap top.

these printers require about a month of experience to really get to know and predict what they do and don't do and what can cause them to stumble. of course the more you use it, the better it will perform.

plenty of guys here on this site (especially tomorrow/monday) with a wealth of knowledge. techs are techs. they'll often just throw parts at a machine without much process of elimination. most repairs to a solvent printer and just 15 minutes of educated diagnostics and don't require parts. ...just cleaning.