• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

help with logo

iSign

since you're such a good sport, & I'm starting to believe you are for real, I decided to offer some help as well... just to say that i believe you should get a pencil & paper.

Computer graphics are a skill, and one I believe you need some work on... but I could be wrong, as all you've showed us is 2 versions, of one set of your own half baked ideas.. and baking up new ideas is an important part of this business... but there are certainly a lot of jobs where the art already exists & you just need to set up some basic processes & run some machines & finish the production... so you're computer skills may be just fine for all that...

Logo design is a much more demanding task, and there is no reason you couldn't build this hobby without offering logo design services... it is also quite ok not to design your own logo.. (it's just not ok to beg for it) ...so, let's assume you are going to continue working on your own idea, & allowing us to encourage, inspire & assist in the process...

back to my suggestion... get pencil and paper & draw 5 thumbnail sketches. No, don't just read the words... GO GET THE PAPER!!

..OK, GOOD... like Rick, I've written a few posts & helped a few folks... but sometimes they don't even come back on their thread... other times they don't acknowledge some of the assistance & very often they don't follow the suggestions...

...but you have so far, so I doodled for 20 minutes to show you an example of thumbnail sketches... what you want is an IDEA!!

graphics are cool, and lot's of people can do them, and graphics to define your company is a personal thing & it can play a role in your level of pride & ownership of the venture you are setting off on... and the identity you (or someone you hire) creates can grow with you & become a part of who you are, or at least a part of who you are at work... in other words, it's important, and it's personal, & deserves some serious thought... because if you can come up with the right IDEA... the graphics will follow, and almost become less important... or put it this way, you might decide to get someone else to help with the graphics, but if it was YOUR idea, then.. first, it will be easier (& therefore cheaper) to get someone else to draw it... and second... you will still have the pride in your idea representing you and your company.

For what it's worth, I've owned my own company for 13 years, and sold dozens of logos in the $500 range... but I had Dan Antonelli help me with my logo. I already had done my own years earlier, but I wanted something better... and I had some ideas, but I recognized that it was a very important component of my business & worth it to me to pay for professional help. I am very glad i did... but I am also very glad I brought the ideas to the table & was involved in the process, with sharing more of my ideas... because I still carry a great deal of pride & "ownership" (in a cosmic bonding sort of way :rolleyes:)

...anyway, my point I keep losing & I'm sure everyone else is going to lose if i stray any further... THUMBNAIL SKETCHES ARE VALUABLE TOOLS FOR EXPERIMENTING WITH IDEAS, QUICKLY, AND FREE FROM LIMITATIONS OF COMPUTER SKILLS, OR LACK THEREOF...

so take my word for it, I put 20 minutes into 5 ideas or so... now you do it!
It will help you, and it will help us help you...

I'll scan my sketches in a minute... the rest of my thoughts are to say that I believe you probably pronounce the name four-thirteen right? not four-one-three, or four-hundred-thirteen right? And I'm no bible thumper... but that scripture is also probably pronounced four-thirteen most of the time, right?

...so I'm not going to print it like four-hundred-thirteen...

ok, gotta go scan it...

iSign

ok, here's mine... let's see you do 5 now...

413.jpg

AND FOLLOW THE DAMN RULES WHEN YOU POST YOUR THUMBNAILS... GEEEZE...
3 TIMES NOW...

IF I SAW THAT YOU STILL WEREN'T SHOWING ENOUGH RESPECT AFTER FRED HAVING TO CLEAN UP AFTER YOU TWICE...

I WOULDN'T HAVE BOTHERED TO WASTE TIME TRYING TO HELP YOU

SHOW SOME FREAKING RESPECT!!!

Last edited:

dortonracing

OK had to run, But Thank you for drawing a few things up, I will try that and see what i come up with. Its 4-13 like you have it

Dan Antonelli

Dorton -

I think it's interesting you choose the art from my SignCraft cover. It's interesting because that was one of the toughest logos I had done - because those letters did not play nicely together. All told, I probably had 20 hours into that logo.

Point being, is sometimes these things really take a tremendous amount of time and research. Sure, I've nailed some in my head during the first client meeting, and know exactly what design I will use before the meetings over, and others just take research, sketch, research, sketch, more research, starting over, etc.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I noticed Dans logo too and the other logos are not in the same type of style... very random selection. I would narrow down a look more.... what you have done looks noowhere near what you posted, the star element only matching the "ERION" Logo design is not that random....

Since you did a little research and I saw Dougs sketches with how to break up the number I thought I would throw you some ideas.

Attachments

• 413.jpg
    413.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 174

Jillbeans

I like spelling out the 13, I thought of that yesterday too.
But was too busy to doodle.
You are getting some really nice suggestions.
I also think it's kind of ironic that you posted something of Dan's probably without knowing he did it.

dortonracing

Those look really great Rick, Do you mind if i copy off one of them? This has really gave me a lot of thoughts about logos, And i have really been looking around at area businesses, and just everywhere. Thanks everyone for the help so far, Even thought this started off a little rough, it has came a long ways, and I have learned a lot... Im going to doodle up some pics of my own here in just a few and see if i cant post them (the right way). I really like using the star, Kind of gives people something to remember even if they don remember the name.

Dan i have been reading through a lot of your stuff, Very nice work. And have learned some from it for sure. I will keep reading that stuff and probably get a book or two soon. I hope that other people that are needing help can come across this and get this info and learn from it as well.

Just want to Say Thank you everyone so far for all the help, And hope we can keep this topic going to get more and more good info. THANKS SCOTT DORTON.... I might have to update my tire service logo also :) Its Dortons Tire and Service i will post some pics of it as well, Just dont hate on it to much please...lol

Border

Don't "copy" anything....But a good exercise would be to take a good look at Rick's designs. Then without looking at them again, try your best to reproduce some of them from the inspiration of seeing them, with your own skills and tools to the best of your ability.

Deaton Design

Those look really great Rick, Do you mind if i copy off one of them?

Dont copy verbatim, but use these ideas as inspiration and reference. If you are not happy with anything you do, hire someone to design your logo. The main thing is though, you are going to be making signs and doing designs for customers, and you need to put alot of hours in just working at the computer, or with pencil and paper, and hone your skills. Study others work but dont copy it. See what they do and then apply those same principles to your work. We all didnt start out as Michaealangelos here, dont even know if I spelled that right, but we stayed at it and are still staying at it. I sometimes just sit at the computer and do designs for non existant companies, that might be used later for a job, just to keep my skills there. Keep at it man. Listen to these people, they are smart and talented and give good advice.:)
I did this one this morning also, to give you an idea of what my take would be on your name, etc.

Attachments

• 413.jpg
    413.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 145

dortonracing

I didn't plan on making the same thing just work off of one of them, Change it up a little to fit me. Thanks for all the input so far, and spending your time to make up some stuff. I have drawn up like 5 pages so far, some look good some are stupid but all in all i getting somewhere thats looking alot better then what i had.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
One thing great about the stupid designs is that they are done and then out of the way... but you should show us.

One thing about copying.. I think we are all hoping you work your own logo out as that is the biggest benefit for you. What I have offered is that if you want the file of an idea, contribute to the forum as a subscribing member and I will be happy to forward you one of the ideas.

Doyle

Looking better each time you post. Red and black can work together, if done properly. l would do some more reading and look at hundreds of other logos. A little later you will want to buy some good fonts too (signfonts.com or letterheadfonts.com are good places to start).

iSign

back to my suggestion... get pencil and paper & draw 5 thumbnail sketches. No, don't just read the words... GO GET THE PAPER!!

... THUMBNAIL SKETCHES ARE VALUABLE TOOLS FOR EXPERIMENTING WITH IDEAS, QUICKLY, AND FREE FROM LIMITATIONS OF COMPUTER SKILLS, OR LACK THEREOF...

...I put 20 minutes into 5 ideas or so... now you do it!

I have drawn up like 5 pages so far, some look good some are stupid but all in all i getting somewhere thats looking alot better then what i had.

...you should show us.

yes, I think you should show us some more of your rough sketches too.