• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with pricing door/window decals and install

islandwide

Premium Subscriber
As I've said before, I'm quite new to the business and still trying to get a handle on die-cut decal pricing and installs for doors and windows. Realizing that every market is different, wondering if folks wouldn weigh in on an estimate for the following jobs that were done in eastern Canada:

1) Frosted Vinyl - 8'x3' -No printing / Die-cut only
2 hours design time
Travel time - 2hrs each way x 2 installers
Installation on door and window (door required handle hardware be removed and reinstalled)

1) Frosted Vinyl - Printed / No Die-cut
White Vinyl - No Print / Die-cut only
2 hours design time
No travel time (within 1/2 hr radius)
Installation on door - 2 installers

ML_Inv.jpeg

ML_Syd.jpeg

Thanks, as always, for the insight!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I'm a little slow today. Was out in the bucket this morning fixing the awnings at our place. Came in to eat and now gonna go back out and clean out the gutters.

So, how do you have 2 hours on each of these layouts. I barely see an hour for both combined.
Next would be, why 2 installers for such a simple job ??
And why 2 installers for the second one, too ??

Something like that, I would have quoted the job before doing it and driving all over creation AND THEN wondering how much to charge.

I'd probably get about $450 for the top one and $350 for the bottom one. I'd also tell the guy when I'm out your way, I'll stop in and letter your door. Traveling 4 hours for a little job like that is kinda silly, unless like I said, you discussed it earlier.

islandwide

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I'm a little slow today. Was out in the bucket this morning fixing the awnings at our place. Came in to eat and now gonna go back out and clean out the gutters.

So, how do you have 2 hours on each of these layouts. I barely see an hour for both combined.
Next would be, why 2 installers for such a simple job ??
And why 2 installers for the second one, too ??

Something like that, I would have quoted the job before doing it and driving all over creation AND THEN wondering how much to charge.

I'd probably get about $450 for the top one and $350 for the bottom one. I'd also tell the guy when I'm out your way, I'll stop in and letter your door. Traveling 4 hours for a little job like that is kinda silly, unless like I said, you discussed it earlier.
Thanks, Gino. Some of the confusion may be a result of trying to understand my inexperienced actions, other things I may just not have explained well.

- I misspoke on design - it was 2 total, not each. There was back and forth edits which added up.
- 2 installers were used largely based on my lack of confidence for installing an 8' wide piece on my own over a two story ledge (hard to see in picture).
- Travel time as I mentioned was only for first one and we did try and wait awhile but we just don't get to their area that often.

I appreciate you throwing out the amounts - they seem to sit more or less where I thought they would. Curious to know what others might have to say.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's nice to know where others might be, but try to remember, you hafta get what YOU need.... to keep your doors open. Not what some hack or high priced shop gets. Figure out all your costs and go from there.

bcxprint420

Sign & Banner Xpress
One person, layout, design, cut, weed, material, $750.00
One person, one day. $1200.00
Total: $1950.00 plus tax.
$2k for a door vinyl and an 8’ x 3’ frosted window decal? I will order what you’re smoking. Make it a double! Thats the funniest shit i read all day!

islandwide

Premium Subscriber
Holy crap I'm in the wrong business. 30 mins layout, 1 maybe 2 hour install by yourself. It's 2 mins to remove a door handle.
Wow, for both designs, including the setup of a logo that needs to be split across a door and a window and the typing in of the text on the other door, aligning it, sending it all to client for approval, performing revisions and producing final files, you're charging 30 min??? I may have design work for you if you're interested.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Thanks but I'm not looking for a job. But yes, about 30 min layout not counting wait time for approval.
Split the design? Bridge the door and slit it down the middle.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A typical door layout like the two above should not take much longer than about 15 minutes for the frosted one and maybe 15 or 20 tops for the second one and that would include any revisions. How frickin' hard is it to lay out simple copy ?? Ya have the logo and other than sizing it, what would take so long ??

As for applying it, get whatever ya can for the signwork and if they don't fall over laughing, say.... plus installation.

You have maybe a total of an hour cutting that stuff out, weeding it and taping it up...... and that's taking your time. If you can't apply that by yourself in less than an hour, find someone who can or another trade. The second door should only be about 20 minutes to instal...... as long as you don't do like me recently and put the wrong line in the wrong place on the glass.

Your drive time is whatever you make it, but be reasonable. Why would you drive 4 hours for a 30 minute drive ?? Why not sub it out ??

ExtremeG Alamosa

Rural Colorado here.
$150 for a door which typically fits within a 36x36" square. The printed frost covering the entire front door maybe +$30. The interior door probably $200. Total of $380 is about what I would charge.

For the rest of you: People come here for help and input not bullshit about what you ate or smartass comments. We all have enough of that to deal with, please answer questions politely not boast about how fast you can do it or how much time it "Should take". There is some valuable stuff on this site but sifting through the BS is a total hassle.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm a little less than Gino's pricing not including travel time. I would calculate this for one installer and if you need to bring a helper then it comes out of your pocket. And there's nothing wrong with that! You need to learn and there's a cost to that.

I don't charge for travel if it's within 20 minutes each way so I would charge about 3 hours and 20 minutes for the first job. The second job, if it's 30 minutes each way then charge for 20 minutes travel time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Rural Colorado here.
$150 for a door which typically fits within a 36x36" square. The printed frost covering the entire front door maybe +$30. The interior door probably $200. Total of $380 is about what I would charge.

For the rest of you: People come here for help and input not bullshit about what you ate or smartass comments. We all have enough of that to deal with, please answer questions politely not boast about how fast you can do it or how much time it "Should take". There is some valuable stuff on this site but sifting through the BS is a total hassle.

Whoa Nellie............................. So, you don't like my answers or plenty of others, so you wanna just take over and TELL us how to respond ?? Who the f*ck died and made you sheriff ??

You are correct. People come here for information and help and they come here to answer, do business and lotsa other things. So what ?? You don't like it, don't answer or contribute if you find others appalling. It's a free country, free site and you are free to comment whatever you desire. However, you don't dictate what I say, do or contribute. Try re-reading your post and see how contradictory you are to your own views. If you are that naive, about time frames, costs or what I ate or sh!t out for breakfast....... talk to me in a PM. Sheesh, what a case of "wannabee soup". Oops, I'm talking about food. :doh:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't see any boasting here but I did eat a burrito for breakfast.
Really though, how much time something should take goes hand in hand with pricing which was the question asked.

bcxprint420

Sign & Banner Xpress
No, the funniest thing is putting an "X" on Sign and Banner Xpress. Now that's funny!
Imagine for a second oh wait nevermind. Has to be the dumbest thing anyone has used as some sort of an attack. I was making light of the ridiculous pricing you act like you charge. Well i guess i understand how you have so much time to sit on these blogs but honestly keep the comments related to the original question or this will turn into another twitter bashing anyonevwho disagrees with you. I was serious, what are you smoking over there?