• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Helvetica rant

SebastienL

How many version of helvetica is there?
Why do every designer uses a different version?
Why don't they outline their text before sending files to printer?
Why do I have 6 stinking version of this font installed already?

Sorry, got a whole bunch of files, all hevetica, and of course not any of the ones I already have. And of course, try to get a hold of the designer, and damned if she knows how to send them to me.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Letterbox Mike

I love Helvetica, it's one of my favorite sanserif fonts, but I feel your pain. For some reason designers assume everyone has every version of Helvetica ever made. so they never outline them. I've got one that always sends files with some obscure Helvetica Neue 67 semibold condensed or some crap and then gets an attitude when I say I don't have it and make him resubmit the file...

If your files are .pdf files and you're in Illustrator, you can use Vector Doctor's magic import .pdf trick to bring them in without having to worry about font substitution.

Tim Aucoin

I just carry the entire Neue Helvetica family and that's it... if they can't pick from one of those, it's hopeless for them! :banghead:

John Butto

.pdf trick

If your files are .pdf files and you're in Illustrator, you can use Vector Doctor's magic import .pdf trick to bring them in without having to worry about font substitution.[/QUOTE]

What is the Doc's magic trick?

SebastienL

I have tried Vector Doctor's magic trick....

Why didn't I know about this????????

I have stamped it into my memory, I will never forget this trick. It trully is magic.

SebastienL

I'm all giggly inside right now after finding out about this trick!

It will save me so much assle. I have to deal with this averyday.

Vector Doctor, You rule!

Letterbox Mike

It does freakin' rock. It sometimes creates additional work if the .pdf was saved with trim and printer's marks around the perimeter, then you have to deal with some often complicated clipping mask issues. Anymore if I know I don't necessarily need a vector file I just rasterize the .pdf in Photoshop, that makes the whole thing 10x easier still.

SebastienL

There's a cornucopia of application that let's unlock so-called locked pdfs. Is there one that can extract embeded font in a pdf?

J Hill Designs

the above magic trick works for fonts you dont have on your system - cant really extract the embedded font, but illy will render it...

TheSnowman

I was flipping through netflix documentary's on the Wii, and I noticed a 90 minute video on "Helvetica". I only lasted about 5 minutes. I can't do 90 minutes of Helvetica.