• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
:D I would argue that the 'random smellies' in your neck of the woods are far more dangerous than the Mexican ones.
At least Mexico doesn't have hordes of methed out street zombies milling around.
You may be right. I've never been to Mexico. but it seems like getting murdered in a fancy resort happens frequently

gnubler

My truck broke down in Mexico once (clutch pedal went out) and I was instantly swarmed by a group of "professional mechanics". After a failed repair of what looked like wiring the spring down with a paperclip I ended up on an adventure with a random smelly, cruising to Tijuana in a truck with gaping holes in the floor where I could see the roadway underneath. His wife took me under her wing and I was not murdered, but no way would I take a ride like that anywhere in the US nowadays. This was back about 20 years ago.

Stacey K

I like making signs
My truck broke down in Mexico once (clutch pedal went out) and I was instantly swarmed by a group of "professional mechanics". After a failed repair of what looked like wiring the spring down with a paperclip I ended up on an adventure with a random smelly, cruising to Tijuana in a truck with gaping holes in the floor where I could see the roadway underneath. His wife took me under her wing and I was not murdered, but no way would I take a ride like that anywhere in the US nowadays. This was back about 20 years ago.
Just the word "Tijuana" scares me about that story, much less the rest of it!

JBurton

Signtologist
I left my boys in a Mexican jungle and rode back to the start with a random very smelly guy on a 4-wheeler built for one. Nobody was very happy with me.
From what I think I know about your boys, and the mexican jungle, and random guys, I think this was a far riskier move!

UberDapr

Another issue I see is a lack of respect for installers. Whether that be design, project management, or the owners themselves. 98% of issues arise because of lack of planning and the installers are thrown into that situation having to show face for it. I'm not saying you do or will, but everyone knows shit rolls down hill. You cant expect an employee to care or work as hard the owner.. and they shouldn't.

Having to work long hours because of bad planning or wrong measurements only to have the same thing happen the next day and then the next is enough to make people move on nowadays. I'm 30 years old, and if I didn't understand the importance of this skill I would have tossed 2 middle fingers up 4 years ago and went into coding.

Now I'm on my own, making my own hours

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think if you can find someone who you can train, that would be your best bet. You don't go to college to wrap so it's a learned on the job skill which means the pool is slim. You would likely be pulling someone from another shop which means you will need to pay well.

I had a horrible experience last week hiring "an experienced wrapper" - I think he meant "rapper" not "wrapper". Tore it all off and started from scratch. He got fired after one side.

soggywinter

Has anyone had good or bad experiences sending wrap newbies to training?

I'm hoping to add vehicle graphics to my service offerings next year if I can lease an appropriate space for it. My plan is to lean on Lowen Trade Source, Wrap Academy, Addendo, or another hands on learning resource to get the team schooled and do a bunch of practice vehicles either for free or discounted. I'm guessing $1000 to $3000 per employee for training. One or two vehicles should cover each employee's training though.

As for recruiting, I keep an eye out for employees of other organizations (especially organizations with low pay and poor morale) that show diligence and attention to detail.

JBurton

Signtologist
As for recruiting, I keep an eye out for employees of other organizations (especially organizations with low pay and poor morale) that show diligence and attention to detail.
At ISA, one speaker I saw was head of HR at steelart. She said that 96% of there hires that stay over a year are from employee referrals. They pick up all sorts, have a great waiter at dinner, tell him you're hiring. Have a fantastic drive thru operator, hand 'em a card. After the month, they call the new hire and referer in, and give them both $100.

gnubler

I had a horrible experience last week hiring "an experienced wrapper" - I think he meant "rapper" not "wrapper". Tore it all off and started from scratch. He got fired after one side.
That makes me nervous! I recently found two "experienced wrappers" in my area which gave me the impetus to bid on some vehicle wraps that I'd normally pass on.
Might be prudent to hire them on a smaller job and see how they do first.
I started the thread about "who sets the pay rate" when it comes to hiring subs after one of these guys quoted a wrap install at $100 hour...I thought that was on the steep side just for labor.
Are certified/experienced wrappers working in sign shops making $100/hour? Doubtful.

JBurton

Signtologist
Are certified/experienced wrappers working in sign shops making $100/hour?
No, but shops will charge that rate to make overhead, so once numbnuts gets wind that he's 'worth' that, he thinks he can make it. Go nuts, I'll even make you a sign that says 'willing to wrap whatever you have already designed, printed, laminated, and trimmed to fit.' Subtext: 'also willing to lose screws, drop parts, and tape the door handle on at nominal charge'

gnubler

Yes. $100/hr is my shop rate. No way am I going to pay an installer that same rate and make nothing, or else inflate the bid to cover the labor but then no way would I be competitive.
Which is what spawned the other thread I started. Wonder how many takers he's getting at $100/hr? Probably threw it out at me because I seem "nice".

Stacey K

I like making signs
It must've been Bill! I took him for $100 per hour but that included "training". He told me the going rate was $800 per wrap for installation. He also said it would take him 3 hours per side. Turns out it only took me, the unexperienced peon that I am, 1.25 hours per side.

So, if Gnubler pays me $100hr and it I simply apply the wrap and she finishes it off, trimming, edges, polishing, adding any additional decals then $2-250 doesn't sound that bad.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
This is very much like printer techs. You can either be independent or work for a dealer full time. As an independent tech, you get the full $200+ per hour but you also don't get paid when there isn't work. I've only known a few guys who can actually pull of being independent successfully. As a full time tech at a dealer you make less per hour but get a more reliable salary.

bpp

I have used this to get wrappers in other locations. Avery and 3M definitely have a data base for installers. I know this is only useful for contractors but as damonCA21 said contract installers earn more and can pick and choose the jobs they will take. BTW I never pay by the hour for install. I pay square foot price or a per job set price. Hourly only gets discussed on removals.

That said, I feel your pain.
Is this for trade or personal. I'm looking to get into the wrap/install field by using subs.

Boudica

Is this for trade or personal. I'm looking to get into the wrap/install field by using subs.
Just be aware... There are businesses listed on there, that maybe signed up for free 7 years ago. Since then, they have realized that installing product you have not produced is a pita, and will pass on you. For those who can produce it, they would rather focus on their own customers... Especially when good installers are hard to come by.

gnubler

Tagging onto this thread, I'm having continued challenges finding sign installers.
I had a meeting with my insurance agent who advised me to only hire insured contractors for the bigger higher risk jobs. My policy is about to increase, but still doesn't include worker's comp or any coverage in case someone gets hurt during an install. I've recently turned down several bigger jobs because I've been unable to find anyone qualified or interested. All the legitimate contractors in my area have zero interest in messing with a one-day sign installation. They're all booked for the season and simply don't need the work.

I'm lost now and not sure how to approach this. Turning work away sucks and isn't a good reputation builder.

How are other small shops handling the bigger installations that require at least two people and equipment? (scissor/boom lifts)

Boudica

Tagging onto this thread, I'm having continued challenges finding sign installers.
I had a meeting with my insurance agent who advised me to only hire insured contractors for the bigger higher risk jobs. My policy is about to increase, but still doesn't include worker's comp or any coverage in case someone gets hurt during an install. I've recently turned down several bigger jobs because I've been unable to find anyone qualified or interested. All the legitimate contractors in my area have zero interest in messing with a one-day sign installation. They're all booked for the season and simply don't need the work.

I'm lost now and not sure how to approach this. Turning work away sucks and isn't a good reputation builder.

How are other small shops handling the bigger installations that require at least two people and equipment? (scissor/boom lifts)
Have you contacted Empire Signs? We've used them a couple of times for big installs that require permits and big lifts. They did one for us in your neck of the woods...

JBurton

Signtologist
I'd call around for a monthly and multi month rental on these, include the trailer (as long as you can haul it) and see how much more you may be able to take on with that in tow.
For workers, I hear good things about kids, got any you'd drag along? Stacey may have an extra if he breaks an axle racing before the end of the season...