• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Holding small pieces while wrapping?

formanek

Being in MN I have been doing quite a few snowmobile (snowmachine) skinz. I get very frustrated trying to devise a plan to hold the smaller pieces like a hood panel, etc... with a bucket or just on my bench. The parts are sometimes only about 3' x 2'. Does anyone know of a company that sells some sort of device to hold pieces firm while working on? Takes me forever because I am always moving the part and not being able to use both hands. Thanks.:banghead:

MikePro

if i can't use magnets, I use double-sided tape applied to masking tape(for easy removal).

but then again, for something that small... why bother? if you use 180cv3 you can just peel the whole thing and place/lift/shift/etc. to your heart's content (as long as your surface is clean)

Craig Sjoquist

I would make a easel and jig putting parts at comfortable level to work on.

Start with a wood table and create jig to work on.

petesign

they make hand clamps that might do the trick, if you went to a fabric/hobby store and put moleskin on the pads to keep the pads from scratching the panels.

We use them for all sorts of applications.

formanek

Here are some pieces I am talking about.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 100

2 see signz

never done one myself... but would suction cups, like the ones on mobile phone holders that go on the windscreen work? make a bench top with holes and attach rope to the ends of the suction cups and tie under the bench?

signage

What are the parts that they attached to made out of?

Either order some of them or find a wrecked one take the attachment pieces off and make an adjustable jig.

ThinkRight

I am thinking a bean bag type device.
Heavy duty made with heavy canvas .
Fill with rice and make sure it is pretty full , so you can shape and wedge the parts in.
.....?

midnite

It is a great idea.... and if you find that rice is not heavy enough.... you could try wheat ... ( I'm a farm boy, I know that craps heavy )