• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can i install a sign on this store front?

shakey0818

....oh really?..is that what you use?.......do you think it will support 36x96 100lb. sign ?....economy got people in bad moods huh'.....you guy's are somthing else on here... it starting to look like i worn out my welcome....
To the people who offered me genuine help thank you and god bless you...

REALLY,Your letting a little humor twist ya panties in a bunch.You wont last long around here.:ROFLMAO:

signage

Some of us are professionals and do not support illegal work being preformed. I hope you have insurance so if this sign falls and injures someone they will not have to suffer! I CA you need a contractor license to do this type of work, you even need the license to subcontract this type of work!

signking559

Some of us are professionals and do not support illegal work being preformed. I hope you have insurance so if this sign falls and injures someone they will not have to suffer! I CA you need a contractor license to do this type of work, you even need the license to subcontract this type of work!
....I understand your point thats why i'm asking before doing.and yes i do have insurance !!..I know i need a contractor licence for this work..but i didnt know i needed a licence to sub-contract this type of work which is helpful information...thank you...Well then, when applying for a contracter's licence for this type of work do THEY SHOW YOU HOW TO INSTALL commercial signage?

signage

Well then, when applying for a contracter's licence for this type of work do THEY SHOW YOU HOW TO INSTALL commercial signage?

No you have to show them you have so many year experiance working for someone else! They do not teach you anything!

Last edited by a moderator:

signking559

No you have to show them you have so many year experiance working for someone else! They do not teach you anything!
...So i would have to work with another company and act like i have the company's best intrest at hand when really im being paid to learn and steal their knowledge so i can start MY OWN BUSINESS...their has to be another way...

Mosh

ah, just use some dywall screws.....NOT. chech the building out like those guys said. It looks loke dryvit (faux stucco) so hard to tell what is behind it. It most likely is 2" of foam and 1/2 plywood, hung on studds. find a studd and you are good, but had to do from the outside!

ProWraps

Ruh roh!!!!!!

Attachments

• Scooty_Puff_Jr..jpg
    Scooty_Puff_Jr..jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 112

phototec

Hello, i have been making signs for a couple years now and usually have a guy i know install them for me ,but he has moved...and i never learned how to install signs on building like this as far as a non-illuminated cabinet , MDO, or even some foam signage....is there a book or is this something you learn hands on?....i really appreciate your time to read my post and if you any advice or direction i can go it would be most helpful

Thank you
Ruben M.

QUESTION:

Did you pull a permit to install a sign on this building?

http://www.maderachamber.com/images...berInfo/Sign_Ordinance/signpermitguide_v2.pdf

http://www.maderachamber.com/images/stories/documents/ChamberInfo/Sign_Ordinance/signpermit_v2.pdf

signking559

Did YOU PROPERLY READ MY THREAD?.....I did NOT say i was going to install a sign on that building, I DID NOT say i was going to install a sign period and i was refering to the building type, texture, i was really looking for information on different type's of signage install's. I was just looking for sign installation tips and or references to get training and help.
but some of you guys act like i have a house next door to YOUR SHOP and plan on running a sign business out of my garage !!.....you guys act like you started at the top !!....

Fitch

Sign installation - the correct way is a science unto itself.

Unlike a sign of digital print or computer cut vinyl etc, there are only so many combinations, many of which are learned over time.

However sign installations are limitless, as most times, signs are going onto something - be it a building, wall, frame, posts, in ground, high, low, protected, unprotected etc.

I have a few suggestions for you:

1) Always over engineer. By this I mean never give a sign even the remotest CHANCE OF FALLING

2) Get someone qualified to do your installs. Accompany them each time and only undertake installs yourself similar to or the same as those you have partnered with the qualified installer.

Cheers - G

signking559

Sign installation - the correct way is a science unto itself.

Unlike a sign of digital print or computer cut vinyl etc, there are only so many combinations, many of which are learned over time.

However sign installations are limitless, as most times, signs are going onto something - be it a building, wall, frame, posts, in ground, high, low, protected, unprotected etc.

I have a few suggestions for you:

1) Always over engineer. By this I mean never give a sign even the remotest CHANCE OF FALLING

2) Get someone qualified to do your installs. Accompany them each time and only undertake installs yourself similar to or the same as those you have partnered with the qualified installer.

Cheers - G
GREAT IDEA!....Thank you for the help

CES020

Don't get too hung up on the fact you are trying to hang a "sign". There's nothing special about the fact it's a sign. You're trying to fasten 2 objects together, one object stationary, one object with some weight on it. Contractors do this all day long. People that make fasteners and fastener systems deal with this all day long. Look into both and you'll be on the right track to understanding it a little better.

Joe Diaz

I think someone may have mentioned this, but you may need another set of hands or more for this work. Especially considering that you are new to this type of work. Do you have employees or help?

...So i would have to work with another company and act like i have the company's best intrest at hand when really im being paid to learn and steal their knowledge so i can start MY OWN BUSINESS...their has to be another way...
There is, and as you are probably aware by now (as evidence by this thread), it has it's own set of problems. Perhaps if you went to work for someone else without the mindset that you are just going to leave at some point and screw them over, you might find that the employee-employer partnership actually has it's benefits, especially when you don't know some very important aspects of this business.

I think it was originally brought up as an option, not so much to be disrespectful to you, but actually a very viable alternative to learning by trial and error. Trial and error can be a great way to learn, but can also be risky and you will find most customers don't wan't their storefront to be the location for your proving grounds.

Billct2

There were/are a couple books on sign installation, but they were written awhile ago and may not be updated to include new crap materials like drivit. You can check out Signcraft and Signs of the Times magazines to see if they have them available.
But like CES said, for most non illuminated sign installs it's no different than hanging anything on a wall and there are a million different fasteners these days. Check out your local industrial fastener retailer, like Fastenal or Graingers for specific solutions.