• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can I stretch out banner better?

copythat

Client's construction crew said that I can't use spring system, cause black borders wouldn't be able to fit with any budge. Is there anything else I can do to even it our better?

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_0808.jpg
    IMG_0808.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 177

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
How solid is that black border frame up there now?
Could you use the backside to stretch and attach your banner on?
Maybe use some thin aluminum flat bar riveted to the black frame with the banner sandwich'd inbetween.

wayne k
guam usa

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You say not springs but the company that makes banner springs, Lind, does have an aluminum frame they also offer to cover the springs which looks very close to the black frame you show. I have used a bunch of their springs before and they do work great. I have not tried their frame though. Realistically it is just a 2 piece thin aluminum frame, install the back part behind the springs then slip the cover part over it once you install the banner.

copythat

How solid is that black border frame up there now? Solid
Could you use the backside to stretch and attach your banner on? I'll check & it makes sense. Originally I offered to print on vinyl, but it would have been too many layers for their liking. 17' w x 12' h
Maybe use some thin aluminum flat bar riveted to the black frame with the banner sandwich'd inbetween. This sounds like a plan.

Any vendors on this list sell this aluminum framing?

Thanks wayne

copythat

Thanks guys! But what woud you do now?

Contacted Brad from AcklandMediaFrames.com He is setting up price. Here is were the problem starts. I was asked to do this order in 3 days. Two walls installed on wood. I gave them a price of $2600 per side, to be printed on vinyl with install. Client didn't want 5 layers of film mounted. And didn't like the price. Second question was how much less would it be on banner. Half the price of the vinyl. Then I was told that I can't use springs for attachment due to wooden borders. I told them I'll do my best on wrinkles, and that it will have a seam, and all I can use at this time is staples. Then original artwork was poor & I wouldn't print it. Pixelation was ridiculous. I received excellent artwork on the third day. Printed & mounted on the 6th day. Remember 3 day rush.

Bottom line client wants money back. Says I promised no wrinkles. RIGHT! In the print business 32 yrs & 8 yrs in the signage. I've learned to Never Ever guarantee anything. Should I check with my insurance agency on this?

I've always say, watch out for rush orders. Get money upfront which I did, but beware :banghead:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would simply tell him there are no refunds on rush projects regardless if you keep changing the order, you keep changing the cost parameters or the wrinkles bother you. You got in your own way of changing the project specs continuously. You're lucky, I didn't charge you more for the extra headaches.

We have two gyms where we print some nice size messages and inspirational graphics of about 12' x 15'. Their old vendor did it on PVC and they was always warping or bowing. We did it on over-sized 1/8" aluminum composite. From a few feet away, it's almost impossible to see the seams. For a frame, we just fake a frame in our artwork. They always supply the files for the sign portion and they are top notch files. Always turns out nice.

Biker Scout

I know that's up already... but I aways have this observation about artwork and the simplest solution, and how people with wide format printers think just printing everything is the best way to go about this. When I look at that wall, what I see is that there should be a large white surface under the frame. Whether it's a couple of panels of dibond, aluminum, or just a flat painted wall. Breaking down the artwork to a few feet of cut vinyl letters, and then with the swirly print done on clear, and contour cut near the edge of the artwork. In this case, that part could have been done (cut) by hand in a few minutes.

No spring tensioning systems, complicated framing systems, no wrinkles. Installed in under an hour.

skyhigh

is that banner cut to fit inside of the black frame? You didn't remove the frame to install the banner did you?

Edit: After looking at your picture again, I think you can easily get the wrinkles out on top......but the bottom looks like most of the wrinkles are caused by the seam job. (but maybe).

Should have outsourced to someone that could print one piece. A flex frame would be the ticket.

kanvas

From what I can see. All the looseness is in the width of the fabric. The wrinkles show that it is pulled over further to the left than the right and that its not pulled enough across. The wrinkles at the bottom are caused by the seam being much tighter that the rest of the fabric.

I would suggest that if you staple the fabric to the frame. That you do not do it with the frame flat on the floor. Stand the frame up and let gravity help you stretch the fabric in the height. Start in the middle at the top and bottom Stretch between those two points. Go to the sides and do the same thing. Work the diamond pattern to the corners. Like you would stretching canvas for a painting. You might have a problem with stretching the seam.

copythat

Final Out come

This is two painted walls with 4' x 8' flat panels painted in white. No borders were on when initially installed.
The size was 17' h x 12' w. Client asked for flat look. I offered to print on vinyl. My price was $2600 ea. $5200. I told them this would be flat especially since they had painted it. They didn't want soo many panels and they didn't like the price. Remember RUSH JOB! I then offered them they spring unit to use with vinyl. They said the borders wouldn't allow that. That's when I said the only other way was to staple it to the walls.

Told them I will do best...Well now they did a charge back. Client was told that it would be two seams & I'll do my best on wrinkles. They told their CC provider that I PROMISED no wrinkles and no SEAMS.

As many times I tell myself, Watch out for rush orders, I still fall in that trap. Trying to help them out I lose. I'm attempting to fight them but will see what happens.

Until then

Signs Up!

P.S. Any help to prevent this charge back will be well taken.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would try a bluff.

Call your contact and get all the names and e-mails of everybody involved with this and either do a conference call or a full e-mail flooding. Mention every detail along the way and explain how this has gotten turned around and if they got their money back, you will be out to remove the banner tomorrow, since they reneged. Should you all reach an agreement for a new amount with the banner as is, you will consider leaving it alone. Otherwise, it will cost dearly to have you ever come back and do a stitch of work again.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Do you have your correspondence in writing (Emails, texts, etc)? If so you can supply that to your credit card company, another options is did anyone sign off on the install? You can use that too.

I would show up with tools and a ladder and tell them that you are there to remove the graphics since they weren't happy, typically they will either "work something out" or let you take it...

Pat Whatley

I would show up with tools and a ladder and tell them that you are there to remove the graphics since they weren't happy, typically they will either "work something out" or let you take it...

You take it you have ZERO chance of getting paid.

Maybe there were external factors I'm not seeing there but a couple of things jump out. First of all WHY DID YOU SEAM A 12' x 17' BANNER THAT HAD TO BE STRETCHED? That will never work. The individual panels flex enough differently and the overlapped seams are twice as thick so there's no good way to get nice even tension across them. That's really apparent in the bottom couple of feet. You could have gotten a wholesaler to print it in only one panel. Sure, it MIGHT have taken more than three days.....I promise you whoever gets to redo the job will get more than that. Second....that stretch job is really bad. Did you stretch from the center TBLR out to the corners evenly? I looks like you started on on side and stretched it across to the other. Just curious...how is it affixed to the wall? DId you staple it in or just screw through the grommets.

fresh

I feel so bad for you. :( I've only had one chargeback, and it was for $150. This reminds me to increase my paper trail, people be crazy.