• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you contour cut when using Corel???

Tony Rome

Ok I have read through the manual, the forum, and googled and I have no correct answer.
I want to contour cut a file I made in coreldraw x3.
Here is what I have tried so far.

Let's use a 4x4 solid blue square for an example....

I have the versaworks pallette that already has a swatch named CutContour.
I put that as an outline around the square export it and it prints the pink outline instead of cuts it.

Next I try rasterizing the box but keeping the contour line as a vector and putting it in the front layer (in the front of the square)...same result.

No moving lines in Vers and it is set to Print&Cut
Anything I am missing???
Thank you!

iNNOVATiON

Try going to palette editor then select add color.

Choose custom spot color palette. Choose a color then name it "CutContour" exactly. See if that works. You might need to clear out the previous one you set.

The line/pen should show "100% CutContour Hairline" when the outline is selected. If the color you created for the contour shows the right color but not the "100% CutContour Hairline" than cut it and paste it exactly where it is at. I have to do that for some odd reason and then it shows the contour once pasted.

You should see the dotted line after you export to eps and open in versa works. Sorry if its confusing.

Tony Rome

Thank you, it is not really confusing. I have the pallete from Versaworks with the swatch already in there and it was correctly named and says exactly what you said BUT doesn't work. I will try doing another exactly like you said. I will check it tomorrow.
Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I have found that you have to place it in the Custom Spot Color Palette and only that palette. Anywhere else and I couldn't get it to work.

It is also where I store all the color matched colors we have created for special jobs or vinyl color matches.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If cutting a simple box from VersaWorks, just tell it to cut image border in the cutting section. You don't even need a CutContour line for that.

Tony Rome

If cutting a simple box from VersaWorks, just tell it to cut image border in the cutting section. You don't even need a CutContour line for that.

Thank you Gino...I was just using a box as an example to keep it simple.
I did see how you do that in Versaworks with the "cut image border"
Thanks again...look forward to the get together in August!!!!
(If we don't meet before then).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what you just said..... actually, everyone is welcome until we hit the 125 mark. Then we stop. I can't deal with too many job johnnies and screaming signmakers under my roof.

Tony Rome

Not sure what you just said..... actually, everyone is welcome until we hit the 125 mark. Then we stop. I can't deal with too many job johnnies and screaming signmakers under my roof.

Haha, no worries you answered it.
Later Gino.

Tony Rome

Ok, I may know the problem.
In Versaworks Cut all Paths is grayed out I can not select it!
Any help for that?

intensegraphics

A way around...

Having the exact same problem and found a way around it today.

In Corel X3 use the CutContour hairline like normal. Instead of exporting to VersaWorks, go to File, Print.

Choose RolandVW as your printer, and under Paper/Quality click the advanced button. For paper size choose, Postscript Custom Page Size and enter dimensions allowing about an inch around your graphic.

Click print preview to double check that you graphic is showing. (Sometimes it is picky about the image being centered on your layout page.) Then click print, and it will send straight to VersaWorks.

Seems to process a little slower, but it works.....

G

gps-hi

Ok, I may know the problem.
In Versaworks Cut all Paths is grayed out I can not select it!
Any help for that?

That shouldn't matter. I've just cut vinyl graphics for 24 windows using an EPS created in coreldraw. The contourcut color is in my custom spot colors palette.

G

gps-hi

Hey, this may be facepalm moment, but do you have the media type set to something that actually supports contour cutting? I know I've been bugged when I'd forgotten that a print cue was set for banner and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me contour cut.

Tony Rome

That is a good suggestion because early on I did mess that up.
I actually got it to work...it's just buggy most of the time it works now but sometimes it doesn't...wierd.