• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question How do you cut round corners?

brycesteiner

So, On your metal signs, how do you round the corners if you don't have an automated machine such as a CNC?
Right now I have the corners drawn and cut with a jigsaw. It looks pretty good but is not always consistent. Is there a guillotine style cutter with different radius' for these types of things?

Blackrenny

make a jig of different corner diameters using plywood, invert a router with a single flute and a guide bearing (you can move the bit up and down as an area becomes dull), put on the safety glasses, gloves, earphones with tunes, and earmuffs and go to town. Thank you Bob Roberts- Roberts Signs, Pottsville Pa, for this bit of knowledge.

stew1tx

Centex Wraps and Signs
cheapest would be the router option. Next I would find a belt sander or make one, pretty easy to eyeball them and make look great

visual800

I have an old dog food can. Trace the roundness on the material and cut with electric shears this is for larger aluminum signs. For smaller I have a corner rounder that works just fine

ams

I am not in the office to look up the vendor I use but this machine is one that I have from a VERY VERY long time ago it cuts plastic, dibond sintra and so on and you can get different diameters to attach to it. I have an updated version (bigger on a stand) but sorry can't remember were I got that one from

Lassco 20 Desktop CornerRounder

I second this. I've been using it for 7 years and still the die is sharp.

rob402

i also have one of those Lassco's. works great. for 080 aluminum i use my angle grinder. cut the corners off with a cut off wheel and then round them with a blending wheel. seems easy to me but the grinder is my favorite tool

henryz

2B, I have one of those punches and they work great. Just stick it on an Arbor hand press. It actually has 4 different sizes in one punch. I would recommend it. I have done both cnc the radius panels and hand route with a jig and router but this is faster specially if you are doing quiet a few at a time.

henryz

Yeah, only aluminum up to .080. For acm I would route on a cnc or like someone else mentioned make a template out of acrylic, mdf or mdo. I made one about 12" x 12" and each corner I made with a different radius. 1/2" - 2". VHB it to the panel and route on a table router.

2B

That looks very interesting. So how do you use it to cut 6mm alumalite or even 3mm ACM? I'm seeing that it only cuts up to .080.

thanks!
We have been able to cut anything that fits into the die
Including 6mm ACM 12mm PVC and much more.

The limit is how strong the arbor press is

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

SFS Production

Production Manager
So, On your metal signs, how do you round the corners if you don't have an automated machine such as a CNC?
Right now I have the corners drawn and cut with a jigsaw. It looks pretty good but is not always consistent. Is there a guillotine style cutter with different radius' for these types of things?
You can buy a corner rounder for a couple hundred dollars.

T_K

I am not in the office to look up the vendor I use but this machine is one that I have from a VERY VERY long time ago it cuts plastic, dibond sintra and so on and you can get different diameters to attach to it. I have an updated version (bigger on a stand) but sorry can't remember were I got that one from

Lassco 20 Desktop CornerRounder

This will also cut 040 aluminum.

FatCat

The Lassco will cut .040 aluminum, .063 with some difficulty and will also cut most 3mm poly-metals.

2B

Did you have to modify it? It shows it will only fit .08" thick.
No, the opening will take thicker than .080

In fact you can go thicker than .125, I read that disclaimer as they only suggest .080 aluminum because anything thicker in the solid alloy, the larger the arbor press you have to have and run the chance of messing up the corner rounder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

darrellcarpenay

I would recommend you get a corner rounder. I have the Lassco CR-60 and it works great. Can cut up to 0.08in think aluminum.

On another note: does anyone know of any way to round corners larger than 1.5in? I am looking to round corners at 1.875in, 2.25in and 3in. I prefer to use a press instead of CNC router for this if possible.