• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you get Illy to open with a large drawing area?

signmeup

Therefore working "in scale" is just a matter of deciding what "scale" you are comfortable working in, and setting that as your standard. After a few work throughs it becomes second nature just like the current way you work.
quote]
Thanks Vinylman....I get the concept of working in scale. I just got used to working at full scale in CAD and also Corel. Why would anyone work in 1/4" scale if it wasn't neccessary?
I just opened my CAD program and drew a line 4 million inches long to make sure I was remembering things correctly. I can draw 100 boxes inside Corel and work inside them. (And I can even drag and drop the contents of one box into another :wink:) I'm just not getting it. What is the advantage of the multiple small work areas? (not being a smartass...honestly wanting to learn)

Vinylman

Perhaps the point you want to consider is that no matter how big you make your drawing, it is still constrained to the size of your monitor. There fore you have to zoom out on your monitor to view your drawing, correct?

Working in scale just offers you the option of seeing your work "a little closer" while on your monitor. Again the choice is yours, and we all get into our own comfort zone as to the work environment we use. To each his own..
I have used the "scale" option for over 15 years, I have taught the idea to many people, and some continue to see the advantage of it. If it does not fit you or your work NO PROBLEM. just like every thing in this business there are numerous ways to get from point "A" to point "B".

have a GREAT day.

Vinylman

Example

Here is an example. 3 4'x8' layouts on a 8.5"x11" sheet.

They are all created at a10 to 1 ratio.

I set each layout up as 9.6" X 4.8".

When they are output I set them up to load at 1000% of original size.

Attachments

• Marlows'-Pine-Ridge-AUCTION-sig.jpg
    Marlows'-Pine-Ridge-AUCTION-sig.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 71

signmeup

Working in scale just offers you the option of seeing your work "a little closer" while on your monitor.
Huh? So if you draw a 96 x 48 rectangle and zoom so it fits your monitor and then do the same with a 9.6 x 4.8 rectangle you're tellin' me you can see some sort of difference?

Anyway...I got my solution to the issue I posted about so it's all good here. I'll just add an art board when I want to have more versions of the drawing I'm working on. I was just trying to set my default workpage up like my other programs. No biggie.

thewood

Huh? So if you draw a 96 x 48 rectangle and zoom so it fits your monitor and then do the same with a 9.6 x 4.8 rectangle you're tellin' me you can see some sort of difference?

Ha! I was shaking my head at this as well.

And it's not a mute point--it's a moot point. And it is not even a moot point.

Jim C

To see the help file. On Welcome Screen click the "Resources" button, if welcome Screen is hidden behind art board or you checked the box "Don't show again" just click Help and then click Welcome Screen then click the "Resources" button

signmeup

To see the help file. On Welcome Screen click the "Resources" button
Thanks Steve. On CS4 that takes you to the internet help site unless you turn off your internet access. There is very limited help included with the software that opens in IE when you're not online(!?).

So to summerize.... "How do you open Illy with a big drawing space...?"....... you don't...... and "where are the help files....?" ......they're mostly online.....unless you go offline....then they are on Internet Explorer. (I would have gone with pdfs myself)

I'm beginning to think someone at Adobe has very interesting sense of humor.....

Last edited:

OldPaint

vinylman, iam also a DRAFTSMAN, built many of building TO SCALE some N.T.S. )))))))))))))
to make your mind understand SCALE, go buy a DRAFTSMANS 12" RULER.... its a triangle, with 6 DIFFERENT SCALES ON IT..... and to make SCALE REALLY SIMPLE, 1 INCH =1 FOOT/YARD when you are drawing it.
roof slope on buildings is refered to as 1:12, 3:12, 4:12..............for every 12 inches, the roof drops 1 INCH...ETC ETC

Vinylman

I own several. Have know how to use them since 1959. Don't have much use for them now, though I occasionally do pull one out to check drawings. Thanks OP.