• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you handle color matching with clients?

I'm working for a new sign company and I'm trying to find ways to improve on the organization of our color matching for clients. We do not guarantee a 100% match as we do not use PMS inks but we try to match as closely as we can to PMS colors. We use a Roland VG2 540 and 640 which are regularly maintained. What is an effective way to keep track of colors with clients? What other tips are helpful with color consistency?

Currently I've started an excel sheet that lists the cmyk values, printer model, material and rip presets for each client. We also print out a sample and store them in a binder. Then we re-print these every 6-12 months to make sure everything is still matching. We have a color chart and do test prints beforehand to help with color issues. Some of this does take some time but I feel can be done in a better way. I'm still fairly new to the sign industry and I'm always trying to better my craft. I understand if some of this info may be kept secret to some however I wanted to reach out to the community for any and all tips. Thanks in advance!
If you are really interested in learning and understanding color management and process control, I would suggest that you start with a basic online course:

The CMP Fundamentals Course will give you a solid grounding into the basics of color management. From there, you can decide if you want to implement color management process control or continue to chase color like a game of Pin the Tail on the Donkey.

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
1st get a Pantone Color Bridge swatch book. That shows you and the client the difference between a true spot color ink and what the closest a CMYK-based printer can achieve. That sets everyone's expectations.
Then find or make your own Pantone color chart in your standard application, using your standard color profile, and print it off your printer using your standard RIP profile. That will show you exactly how close your printer (which should already be properly profiled) can come to those Pantone colors. Print a color chart on all of your standard medias (gloss, matte, reflective, etc) If you use multiple RIP profiles/printers, then you're going to have to print one from each profile and label it.

Signs91723

Graphic Designer
What is your position there at the organization?
I'm the Graphic Designer and I handle the pre-press setup. I have about 7 years experience with most of it being pure design. Eventually, I gained some production and management experience due to employers being short staffed and needing roles fulfilled. Hence my lack of knowledge in some areas.

Signs91723

Graphic Designer
1st get a Pantone Color Bridge swatch book. That shows you and the client the difference between a true spot color ink and what the closest a CMYK-based printer can achieve. That sets everyone's expectations.
Then find or make your own Pantone color chart in your standard application, using your standard color profile, and print it off your printer using your standard RIP profile. That will show you exactly how close your printer (which should already be properly profiled) can come to those Pantone colors. Print a color chart on all of your standard medias (gloss, matte, reflective, etc) If you use multiple RIP profiles/printers, then you're going to have to print one from each profile and label it.
Wonderful idea. We do have this booklet already so I'll print some charts of our own out soon. I'm curious to see how many are a close match.

Signs91723

Graphic Designer
Does anyone happen to know where I can find a print file that lists all of the Color Bridge Pantone swatches?

gnubler

An absolute rabbit hole.
Yes indeed, and leads to mixed drinks and random cursing. I had to match the color of a new Corvette, told the customer it would be "as close as possible".

I generally tell people it's virtually impossible to match color exactly and I can only guarantee what I call 'pleasing color'.

gnubler

Periwinkle vinca pastel blue..... oh you mean purple ?? Oops, lavender ??
I watched a standup comic the other day rattling off an absurd list of women's makeup colors and he remarked that there's no man anywhere who could tell you what periwinkle is, yet ask any woman and she'll know.

So what's your birth gender, Gino? I'm confused.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
It's a nice shade of blue, about the only named color they use for men's clothing (well that and coral). Otherwise it's straight up black, white, khaki, etc.

The real question here is, what is taupe? Is it a shade of grey or brown?
Ugly is what it is!

Johnny Best

Gnubler, your confused? You want to know Gino’s birth gender? I am trying to know your gender. I think when you first arrived on this forum you said you were a female with testicles. Not that there is anything wrong with that.