• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you save files in Illustrator to open in Onyx Thrive?

JERHEMI

What is your workflow save settings when you are working with gradients and pantones in Illustrator and need to open in Onyx Thrive? I'm new to Thrive and HP L360 and looking for the best save settings to print accurately. Then once you open the file in Thrive what is the best way to process the file as far as settings? I've spent the last 2 days pulling my hair out trying to get consistency between Illustrator, Thrive and the L360 and am having no luck.

Bly

Save from Illy to PDF using the Illustrator default settings.
This won't jpeg any images or change colour.

Use the same profile settings in Thrive as in illustrator.

Also to make sure the rip has the right media profiles make sure you turn off auto sync and d/l them manually each time you create one.

AF

Adding to the above, make your own PDF preset in Illustrator for exporting files. You can find tune the settings for best results in your rip. This way once you have the work flow to your liking you can simply select your preset when saving as PDF.

Andriy

I find that EPS works best as it contains more information than PDFs which do slight compression when saving/exporting.
I use ProductionHouse with the Job Editor but if Thrive is able to open EPS as well (which I believe it does) then definitely try that route.

TimToad

I find that EPS works best as it contains more information than PDFs which do slight compression when saving/exporting.
I use ProductionHouse with the Job Editor but if Thrive is able to open EPS as well (which I believe it does) then definitely try that route.

I've found some non-designer customer supplied ( code for amateur hour ) .pdfs with shadows, transparencies, etc.. aren't saved off right and cause printing problems, so we tend to pre-flight those types of files, fix them and then save them as .eps which has always been one of themore stable file formats. The "press quality" setting usually will correct a few issues, but the old adage "garbage in, garbage out" still applies.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I don't use Thrive, but Onyx 11 and it takes pretty much whatever filetype you want to give it.
A CMYK PDF or EPS out of Illustrator will usually print just fine for me.
As you should well know though, gradients/transparencies with spot colors will not work correctly. (as in print/cut files)
I have always avoided drop shadows in Illustrator whenever possible as I know they are finicky and do not always result in good prints as the transparency gets flattened in the RIP or when saving the file.

Any other setting you choose besides the basics like color mode as CMYK can result in undesirable results, and are possibly going to be on an individual basis.
ie: One of our Onyx RIPS will really screw up complex radial gradients, while the other hasn't done it so far.... ???

When you are saving out of Illustrator into an EPS/AI file you have the ability to choose your own transparency/flattening settings, even more options are presented when saving out into a PDF file. If you don't know what each of these options mean or what they result in; then choose as little compression as possible, whenever possible.

For raster images:
I have experienced a LOT of wacky things happen from RGB files going through Onyx, and IIRC I have had a couple problems with dropping JPEGs directly into Onyx. I have had the best experience out of CMYK TIFF files, but they are LARGE files.

FYI, 99% of all problems are going to come back to improper file setup or lack of designer know edge/experience and not the RIP messing up the file.