• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long would it take you????

Jillbeans

Did you mean the Brush Script Bob?
Oh nevermind, my FIRST attempt.
That's Arthur Vanson's Flash Script.
(I purposely used BS and Serpentine in my 2nd attempt)

CentralSigns

My First Graphic Design Post

Here's my design 20 min. I chose a non square shaped sign blank following was it, Fred's Rule for this year. Give me some critiques, but remember it is my first design posted.

Attachments

• port1.jpg
    port1.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 121

iSign

Wish our designs were that simple. 18 minutes is about right.

what is your point here sjm?

...as mentioned, I did not look at any other layout & just decided I was only willing to invest 20 minutes on this game, whether or not I liked my outcome. Yes, it is quite simplistic, and I typically would be compelled to continue on until I like something, regardless of time spent (to a point) ...having worked till sun-up (on real work), & then slept 3 hours, I stuck to my 20 minute cap & settled for simple.

where is your contribution by the way?

SignManiac

Here's my design 20 min. I chose a non square shaped sign blank following was it, Fred's Rule for this year. Give me some critiques, but remember it is my first design posted.

Kudo's for being brave enough to put up your first post :thumb:

I like your concept and using a cut out shape. My only critique would be the use of script for the recycling. You might have been better off using the same font at the name or something close to it. All in all, nice effort!

sjm

what is your point here sjm?

...as mentioned, I did not look at any other layout & just decided I was only willing to invest 20 minutes on this game, whether or not I liked my outcome. Yes, it is quite simplistic, and I typically would be compelled to continue on until I like something, regardless of time spent (to a point) ...having worked till sun-up (on real work), & then slept 3 hours, I stuck to my 20 minute cap & settled for simple.

where is your contribution by the way?

Easy fellar, I wasn't knocking your work accept to agree that the time you spent was acceptable.

When I mentioned if only our designs were that simple, it's because and maybe I assumed wrong I speak to like minded people that understand prepping a complex file for output can take considerably longer than that.

Trust we're cool with my explanation.

SignManiac

Wish our designs were that simple. 18 minutes is about right.

I too am a little confused? I'm hoping that was meant as a compliment of some sort? Out of about twenty or more submissions, the range of possible designs is great. Some are excellent solutions and some with a little tweaking could be great as well. I'm just thankful to see as many participants as we've had on this thread. Especially those who posted that were perhaps afraid of putting their work out here for the rest of us to see. We all started somewhere at first. Learning and getting better is a long process in this business.

Jillbeans

Central if you reversed the name and recycling fonts the layout would have been better.
That's kind of a formal looking script for a recycling place.
:)
But I admire everyone for joining in the fun.
We all learn from topics like this one.

iSign

Easy fellar, I wasn't knocking your work accept to agree that the time you spent was acceptable.

When I mentioned if only our designs were that simple, it's because and maybe I assumed wrong I speak to like minded people that understand prepping a complex file for output can take considerably longer than that.

Trust we're cool with my explanation.

we're cool. I asked your point simply because I wasn't sure...

...what I WAS sure of is that while I get by,I am among some great (& quick) design icons around here... and having done mine before seeing theirs... I was already SURE of the fact that I did not like mine when i gave in to the timer... when I saw the other layouts... well, then it was too late :covereyes:

John Butto

two songs

Took me A Grateful Dead and a Quick Silver Messenger on "deep tracks" on XM radio for this. Do I win a prize or something for being the 50th entry.

SignManiac

One last one I started Friday but didn't finish. Right around 25 minutes with some minor tweaking.

Attachments

• Port Author4.jpg
    Port Author4.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 119

Tim Aucoin

What a great thread this is! I love the variety and the individual ways of thinking! :thumb: BTW... thanks for the kudos SignManiac... I may just have to try more of this kind of thing.

SignManiac

If possible, and for those who are enjoying participating in these educational design challenges, I suggest we try and make this a weekly event. Maybe Friday is a good day to start them as many shops are winding down and may have a few minutes free or they can work on them over the weekend if they choose to.

Everyone is free to post up a fictitious business scenario and if no one else chooses to, I'll be glad to post one up on Friday mornings.

If you're interested let me know in this thread and we can see if it's worth the bother or not. Personally, I feel that anything we can do to improve our design skills is worth it?

Let me know what ya'll think.

Edited to add. I believe there's a section on the site for design assignments or something to that affect. We can put it in that section.

Tim Aucoin

I like the idea! It would give me a chance to try my hand at design and allow me to keep up (the few) skills I have in Photoshop & Illy!! May not be able to partake every week depending on how busy we are here, but I'd make an effort to do at least one per month! :rolleyes: