• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much more ink does a 12 pass use than a 4 pass?

mim

0_o
I'm using the Epson s80600 with Onyx. We are printing a vehicle wrap that is basically a solid color (slight gradient throughout) and I'm worried about banding as we had some to start. I got that sorted out and suggested we run it on a higher pass. I used 4 vs 12 as an example. Now we aren't sure if that will use up an unreasonable amount of ink or if it even affects it at all, can't seem to find a clear answer.

Thanks guys :)

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
"How much more ink does a 12 pass use than a 4 pass?"
If the proper profiles are used, the printer should use no more ink. Profiles are mode-specific. If the proper profiles are not used, the printer will apply more or less ink making the print lighter or darker and thus not match from one mode to another. Prints from different modes should match closely within reason.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Technically it should be exactly the same. Say your profile is 720 x 720 and you go from 4 to 12 pass. They both print 720 x 720 but they just divide it into 4 and 12 passes respectively. Higher passes make it so banding is less apparent at the cost of speed. I usually prefer to make sure the printer is properly aligned and print at the lowest pass possible rather than up pass count to compensate.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I believe Epson Dashboard will tell you the ink calculations, and I think Onyx also has a feature for this. We don't use either here though.

netsol

If the proper profiles are used, the printer should use no more ink. Profiles are mode-specific. If the proper profiles are not used, the printer will apply more or less ink making the print lighter or darker and thus not match from one mode to another. Prints from different modes should match closely within reason.
REALLY?
i would have thought more ink would be used. one of my employees, who prints more than i do, insists we need to outgas longer with more passes, because of increased ink usage.
i know we can convince ourselves that something is true

• Agree
Reactions: mim

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Recently, I had an expert working on our flatbed. I asked him if the amounts were any different, cause they certainly felt different. Nope, not at all and he went into this explanation. After a while I just said, Okay, Okay because he has a very very heavy indian accent and it was giving me headache.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
A single channel on a DX7 print head has 180 nozzles. A single pass on that head achieves a resolution of 180x180. 2 pass 360x360, 4 pass 720x720. So the head naturally prints 720 in 4 passes. When you up it to 8 pass and keep the 720 resolution, in order to keep it at 720 the head fires fewer nozzles per pass to compensate. If it continued to print at a 180 dot density for 8 passes, you would end up with a resolution of 1440 but you don't because the head compensates.

Dot size, the amount of ink in each drop, and dot placement density, resolution, is what goes into the ink use calculation.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Higher passes uses smaller ink droplets. Each pass isn't as dense as when using larger ink droplets.
Lower passes = More grainy prints
Higher passes = Less grainy prints.

Ink should be about the same.
Unless your more passes is maxing out on how much ink the printheads can laydown, that will ultimately end up in less ink usage.

For example, our Colorado 1650, i can print top speed, 1 pass. But the print isn't dense, so it'll use less ink as it cannot lay down enough in the single pass.

Recently, I had an expert working on our flatbed. I asked him if the amounts were any different, cause they certainly felt different. Nope, not at all and he went into this explanation. After a while I just said, Okay, Okay because he has a very very heavy indian accent and it was giving me headache.
There's really no need...

Chris.m

The difference between 4 pass to 12 pass (with ALL other settings remaining the same) should have a marked difference in density, with 12 pass being much higher output.

If instead you’re selecting a family - where variables like drop size, dither, ink limits, linearization, profiling etc is changing with the # pass selection, then perhaps not so much noticeable difference in density, because you’re choosing a compatible preset.

Where can this be useful? If the printer is calibrated at 4 pass, and ink limits on any channel is topped out, then you may be able achieve more gamut if the media can handle it at higher passes with custom settings/custom profiling.

Hey hey.

Just had a UCJV300-160 (LCLMWW) installed and the canned profiles / color matching just isn’t cutting it for raster photographic images. My 2009 Roland LEC-300A with its canned settings absolutely blows this thing away in just about every possible way can to can. Is this something you can help me solve? I’d rather not have to run my POD and Wholesale on two separate machines.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
From your printer(s), print the JPG raster file available from this link...

http://www.on-sight.com/download/Onsight_Evaluation_v9_11x14.jpg

Compare the prints to one another and also from the installation confirmation prints the installer made for your approval before signing-off the install.
I’ll run these when I can.

I don’t run a traditional material, which means there are no profiles available for my situation, so we only ran canned profiles and color matching tweaks to get where we could get. The installer was not versed in profile manipulation and the various things we tried could not yield a sellable universal profile. I am in the print on demand marketplace, so I’m printing everything. Solid colors next to blurry pictures of a cat next to a pictures of a girlfriend next to a skyline. My Roland with its canned profile (EUV-2 ink - Version 2 generic media type - Sign & Display color management - 360x720 high speed pass), no curves or other settings altered - load and go outputs my various good and bad prints perfect and sellable 99% of the time. Anything I do not like about something I can catch and alter in photoshop before it ever makes it to Versaworks. With rasterlink, it seems like it’s a one does it a okay for one thing, one does it okay for another, but nothing feels remotely universal. No print quality issues. Alignment is great, calibrations are great. Test prints were nice as well. But when we got to real world, it was all down hill.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I don’t run a traditional material, which means there are no profiles available for my situation,
You'll need to invest in time and tools to either make your own calibrations and ICC profiles or call in someone to handle that for you. That's a key part of color management, to match printers to one another within reason.

Scott at Onsight or Mike at Correct Color are two good choices if they're available.

Post pictures of the evaluation prints if you get a chance.