• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to add braille to ACM signs?

Signed Out

In the process of quoting a job for about (10) signs that need to have braille on them. The signs are 1/8" ACM, and are 4'x2' and 3'x2' signs. Customer is fine with having a "strip" of braille adhered to the signs. I have found a couple companies that can make me magnesium braille strips, kind of pricey though. Does anybody have a good source for this? Or a better way of getting the job done? I have tried to find someone who can provide ACM blanks with the braille embossed or drilled and beaded, ready for me to apply vinyl, but no luck. How would you handle a job like this if you don't have in house capabilities to produce braille. The job could turn into something bigger, maybe a total of (100) signs all said and done.

reQ

If 100+ signs, i would outsource it to any company with CNC. You can glue beads after yourself and save some money. As for couple pieces job & no equipment on hand - i would do vinyl stencil for it + use dremel tool with spherical bit.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
First question is why is the client requesting braille on these panels?

Are they required to adhere to some ADA requirement... if they are required to conform to some ADA requirement, then they might require raised lettering...

What I would do is get http://www.ccengraving.net (A Merchant Member) to put braille on a non-glare piece of 1/8" acrylic the width of the ACM and the height needed for the braille, then backspray the field color and VHB the panel to the ACM

Rick

Forgot to ask...

What type of sign are these?

Directionals? Interpretive? Informational?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I agree. In order to meet 1992 ADA codes, the lettering has to be raised in a matching contrasting color as well. Be sure you do or don't need it before you spend money unnecessarily. That could be a costly mistake, regardless what the customer requests. You're the professional and need to know what is and isn't allowed for these signs.

Signed Out

They are informative signs, "north building," "resource center," etc. They also have the agency's logo at the top of the sign. Does the logo need to be translated to braille too, or just the main message?

Raised lettering I'll have to look into and talk with the customer about it.

These signs are completely pointless (braille portion anyway). Most of them will be in places that nobody would be walking. They are outdoor signs being attached to buildings for cars to be able to identify which building is which. Some of the signs are near entrance ways. Customer is being told they need to have braille on them by the big boss...government agencies.

visual800

They are informative signs, "north building," "resource center," etc. They also have the agency's logo at the top of the sign. Does the logo need to be translated to braille too, or just the main message?

These signs are completely pointless (braille portion anyway). Most of them will be in places that nobody would be walking. They are outdoor signs being attached to buildings for cars to be able to identify which building is which. Some of the signs are near entrance ways. Customer is being told they need to have braille on them by the big boss...government agencies.

they are outside for driving? that is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. NO! they dont need braille. Unless blind folks driving are gonna get out of their car and check it. Whoever told your guy that is obviously an idiot. No common sense

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For about 98% of ADA signs, they are interior signs which indicate a room number or room name, such as.... Suite 204, but you don't need the doctor's name in braille.

Most signs are something like restrooms, elevators, suite numbers, room names [conference room - meeting room - etc], laundry room, electrical room and so on. In medical offices, hotels, restaurants and other public places, they need to be in place out on the floor and behind the scenes, in case you have handicapped employees in the workplace.

Outside where you're describing is not included in ADA requirements that I know of.

Billct2

I'm sure our resident expert will chime in (one of the great things about this site is the knowledge of it's members), but I doubt they are required to have braille on those signs. If they want it, fine, just add the cost and stick them on.

Rick

What agency in particular? Is this a rogue inspector?
They should get the exact code reference.
Someone is either misinterpreting the ADA code OR if interior and exterior signs are being made at the same time, the client misinterpreted what they were saying.
I think this needs to be clarified before 100+ signs are made. It's a waste of time and money

Gino is correct in that Building ID's do not follow ADA guidelines...
The only code I know that could dictate these signs are your local building code.

---------------

On a side note. The latest 2010 ADA standards were put in place in March-2012, then your state does has it's own requirements but New York generally follows the Federal ADA rules and is part of your building code... which means it's the law in your state. I don't see this requirement anywhere in your state code.

Not all ADA signs have braille and tactile on them but most interior and some exterior signs have some ADA requirement.
But when you are required to use braille, the lettering MUST be raised. The lettering MUST be between 5/8" to 2" high, have a certain stroke with, san serif, certain height to width proportion and the braille must be directly beneath the raised copy a min of 3/8" They are also required to be placed a certain height (48 - 60" at a specified place on the sign and a certain distance from the door) so someone can find them and read them...

vid

Forgot to ask... What type of sign are these? Directionals? Interpretive? Informational?

Interpretive? What's an interpretive sign? The things that come to mind are placards at museums, science centers or parks. Places that might request Braille more as a courtesy to visitors than as a specific code requirement. I don't know... Is there a specific code type designation for signs of this type?

Rick

Interpretive? What's an interpretive sign? The things that come to mind are placards at museums, science centers or parks. Places that might request Braille more as a courtesy to visitors than as a specific code requirement. I don't know... Is there a specific code type designation for signs of this type?

There is no code for that... you are right, it's more of a courtesy. When braille and tactile is used it still should follow the standards for spacing, and translation. I asked cuz I was just wanting to know why he needed braille on such large signs, and if it was an interpretive sign, why use that braille tape stuff.

-------

Thing is, that tacked on braille is hideous stuff. I get value engineering a sign but it gets to the point of half arsing it, it still won't be compliant and all the client has is a mess multiplied 100 times.

At some point, the customer isn't always right, and he can same them money and his reputation by steering them in the right direction.