• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to Approach Window Film Installation

Chichia96

Hi everybody,

We have a job we accepted to install window film on the front windows of a business. In front of the 72” tall windows that are about 2-3 feet off the ground is a bunch of large boulders (see pics). Obviously we can’t stabilize a ladder on those and there isn’t a good spot for a leaning ladder on the building because of the way it’s built and easily scuff-able materials. We’ve been trying to think of creative ways to install this window film that don’t involve hundreds of dollars in lift equipment rentals, any ideas??

Attachments

• IMG_9466.png
    IMG_9466.png
    691.3 KB · Views: 179

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
But then it’s facing the wrong way… as far as I know you can’t print on the sticky side of window film
If you go with this way, print reversed, unless this isn't a transparent media, then you'll have to go from the outside.

ToneCustomSigns

I had a job like that once. I had to apply window perf to the outside and there was nothing stable for me to stand on or put ladders on.
I simply told my customer that they had to clear out the boulders or pay me to do it. They agreed to pay me and I got a guy to clear out just where I need to be. He then came back when I was done and replaced them.
Paid him enough for his beer and he was happy. I was happy and customer was happy.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Going by your 72" on the glass the top of that window should be a little less than 8ft from the ground. A medium to tall installer (6ft+) can reach a little over 8ft. So, tall installer or like was said some planks running off the walkway with some support on the rocky side to keep it steady. A foot or so off the ground should be more than enough, even with a short crew.
With a tall guy, you'd be in and out of there before OSHA had a chance to show up.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
You print on white media and laminate the front of it with a clear two sided adhesive film to apply interior, works great.
Reverse print on clear and laminate with white for some opacity (use translucent if you want more light coming in/out) and apply to interior. If it needs to be perf, I seem to recall some manufacturer had come out with a perf that worked for second surface, but don't remember who it was.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
They are not boulders.... Be a man and pick them up and put your ladder there. Someone sent me a pic of a very similar install and I told them my concerns, when I got out there I just picked the damn things up.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
They are not boulders.... Be a man and pick them up and put your ladder there. Someone sent me a pic of a very similar install and I told them my concerns, when I got out there I just picked the damn things up.
Averaged sized man shouldn't need a ladder. I'm only 5'7" - wearing my steel-toe work boots I could easily cover those windows.
s-l500.jpg