• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to cut a 20ft long stripe

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I'm in the process of designing a slitting tool that would be good for this sort of thing. You can use a plotter cutter for this purpose. It is fairly easy to set the depth so you don't cut all the way through for use with graphics to be mounted by center hinge. Or, set to cut all the way through for strips.

My design will be lighter and make it easier to adjust the depth of cut. I plan to make the tools available for around $10. They will be about 3/4"dia X 2 1/2" long to make it easy to mount on our tools when not in use.

dman0427

When doing long straight cuts like I'll break the stripe down into a bunch of small lines about 1' long each.

Here are the steps:
1) Make the stripes with your rectangle tool
2) Convert it to a path
3) Edit path
4) Cut a bunch of breaks in the rectangle about a foot long.
5) line up all the points to touch each other so it makes the shape.
6) cut

So really your cutting a bunch of line segments that make up the stripe. But the cutter will only have to track the length of the material once, reducing the chance of going off track.
On screen you won't be able to give it a fill because its all a bunch of open ended paths touching each other...

Hope this helps. :thumb: