• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to keep using old machines?

JulieS

We have a couple of great old machines (a Gerber enVision 375 plotter, a Roland XC-540) that we want to keep using until they die. But we keep fighting our outside IT company over them. We're down to running them both from an older computer that still has Windows 2007 and a COM port. The IT folks are concerned about security. Is there no better solution than continuing to run them from the Windows 2007 and totally de-networking it so there's no security problem?

Jburns

The envision will run on a USB port with the Gerber USB- Serial cable. It should also run on all newer software.

billsines

I have several CNC's that are "frozen in time." They are dedicate production units that are not necessary to be on the internet. They run great on Windows XP, and they will continue to run that way until they die.

Mine are on a wired network so that new files can be pushed to them. It was a pain setting it up, but well worth it. No security problems. I would just keep running on Win7

WildWestDesigns

If they need older OSs to run and there isn't a way to get it to run on slightly newer OSs (especially ones that everyone still supports (software/hardware/MS etc)), you can start off using a physical machine with the OS, but depending on how much longer that runs, may want to start thinking about a VM solution of the older OS (not emulation, that takes up too much of a performance hit, but virtualization (slight differences between the 2)) that way it can still be on newer hardware.

Attached is my Win98 VM running on much newer hardware.

It does bring about it's own particular quirks, so make sure that it would fit your situation, I just hate having to keep older computer hardware when newer stuff came keep the software alive for a little while longer.

Now if this bleeds into say the production equipment (plotters, printers etc) then it's time to upgrade those as keeping the legacy stuff doesn't make as much sense. Then the need for VMs and/or older computer hardware isn't necessary (at least as much).

Attachments

• Win98.png
    Win98.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Mine are on a wired network so that new files can be pushed to them. It was a pain setting it up, but well worth it. No security problems. I would just keep running on Win7

Be aware that if computers, even ones that don't have their own WAN access, but share folders that do have outside WAN access (and it may not be the folders themselves, but other computers that have access to those folders), this can be a security issue as well.

There are some nasty malware that can see and attach to network shares and follow those. This is how Macs can act as a "Typhoid Mary" of Windows virus and infect Windows machines that are attached to a network.

Just something to keep in mind.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
We have a couple of great old machines (a Gerber enVision 375 plotter, a Roland XC-540) that we want to keep using until they die. But we keep fighting our outside IT company over them. We're down to running them both from an older computer that still has Windows 2007 and a COM port. The IT folks are concerned about security. Is there no better solution than continuing to run them from the Windows 2007 and totally de-networking it so there's no security problem?

a decent FTP on a "bulletproof" server should eliminate any issues.
Legacy equipment is always fun.
If you are ever in the market let me know.

billsines

Be aware that if computers, even ones that don't have their own WAN access, but share folders that do have outside WAN access (and it may not be the folders themselves, but other computers that have access to those folders), this can be a security issue as well.

There are some nasty malware that can see and attach to network shares and follow those. This is how Macs can act as a "Typhoid Mary" of Windows virus and infect Windows machines that are attached to a network.

Just something to keep in mind.

What do you use to keep your computers secure?

Titch Sanders

Away from the Internet!
I run Windows 98 & XP daily, have done since...well, work it out..All runs as a dedicated and uninterrupted 'unit'

WildWestDesigns

What do you use to keep your computers secure?

This right here:

Away from the Internet!
I run Windows 98 & XP daily, have done since...well, work it out..All runs as a dedicated and uninterrupted 'unit'

I've said it a lot (much to the annoyance of some users on here) keep production rigs off the internet and don't have internet connected computers have access to production network. Have at least a computer connected to the internet (my business exists mainly with an online connection, not having that, I'm dead, so cutting the cord isn't an option) isolate from the production environment. Scan files that come in and then bring it into the production environment.

It's tedious, especially initially when getting used to everything, but it is about as secure as one can be. The biggest vector of issues (not just malware, but other issues such as updates) happens over the WAN. Like it or not, that's what happens. Doesn't happen to everyone mind you, but that's a risk one takes.

This is a big reason why I don't like SaaS based software. It requires online connection. If one has to have SaaS based software, especially on a Windows machine with their rolling release OS model, that's a risk one takes and just has to make the most of it and minimize your risk.

Running legacy programs on legacy OS especially, no WAN at all to that rig. Running legacy programs on Win 10, no WAN.

If you are using a combination of legacy programs (for whatever reason) and SaaS programs, keep them on separate computers (this is a big thing that will affect workflow and most won't like it, but keep in mind, any Win 10 update (yep, mentioning those updates again) could break your legacy software).

Of course, for me personally, I don't use Windows installed on bare metal on my computers as well. All my production software, I managed to get on a different platform, so that helps. Not everyone can do that, I know (contrary to atleast one user on here thinks), but I do still keep Window VMs around for nostalgia. But even with using a different platform, I still keep production rigs offline. Even though updates (and malware) are less of a concern compared to Windows. At least in my experience.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
As above, we have Win xp & Win 7 running assorted production machines, and the internet is never within 40 metres of them.
We get used to carrying a USB memory stick to transfer files- no problem once the habits are ingrained.
I tried a legacy Roland Camm1 using VM, on a Win7-64 machine, but it never worked. It needed a 32 bit system, so went back to using XP for that.
As for 'why' we don't upgrade? The older machines were built to last, and they work. We have a 30 year old cnc router that is fine. No NEED to change it or the operating system.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Upgrade to the newer Gerber software, get the Gerber USB converter cables, and keep on running them. We run ours on Win 7 here just fine and anticipate no problems upgrading to the newest version soon.