• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to price window frost job?

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Hey, Guys.
This is the very first time I have to price a window frost vinyl job
The customer is in an office building. They have 10 foot of glass all around they want to put 3 stripes above each other so people don't walk into the glass.
The stripes are not big. Each stripe 3/4 height and 1/4 in between. So total almost 3 inch in height.

I could buy a 15"x10yd avery frost vinyl for less than $90
I could also get a 12" clear transfer tape for less than $50
I believe the actual total price was $135
I think I can prep the vinyl and transfer tape it in 1 hour, Their place is a good 30 minutes drive ( 1-hour round trip) and the job can be done in 1 hour.
Total 3 hours at $75 an hour is 225
$30 for gas
TOTAL 390

Is this too much for a job like this? Can I charge them even more? I have no clue what they going to say about nearly $400 for some stripes on 10 foot glass.
Anyone??? Thanks!

visual800

sounds good to me, if they dont like it they will get cheaper from someone else, never be ashamed of losing a job

ams

In my opinion that is too much. Use Oracals 8510 silver fine. It's cheaper than Avery and holds up better. Why use clear transfer tape? I can see it fine through paper.
I would quote around $200. I am sure you will use the rest of the etch glass in the future and no need to buy a special roll of transfer tape for this job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you're charging for your time, but not your supplies and materials. Do your math again.

Regardless of what you're doing there, your travel time to and fro, all of your materails times your percentage rate, on-site work provided would come to more like $600. Because you're only gonna be there an hour just means they didn't need anything expensive or that took a long time.

boxerbay

pricing is usually a local market thing that isnt best done over the internet. A sign shop in downtown Manhattan will have a higher price than for a sign shop in rural Alabama.

call 2 other local sign shops and ask them to quote you the job. then you will see how you fit in.

Jean Shimp

$390 sounds right when you consider the facts - if you are working with one piece of material that is 3" x 10' long, working on glass, on a ladder, the aggravation alone is worth the price. And working with 1/4" stripes 10' long with no margin of error can be challenging too.:smile:

Marlene

Looks like you're charging for your time, but not your supplies and materials. Do your math again.

Regardless of what you're doing there, your travel time to and fro, all of your materails times your percentage rate, on-site work provided would come to more like $600. Because you're only gonna be there an hour just means they didn't need anything expensive or that took a long time.

I saw it too that you are passing the cost of materials along without a mark up. are you giving that away? if you don't stock frosted vinyl and have no plans for it i wouldn't buy a roll of it. I'd check with Gregory to see if I could get cut strips of it pre-masked and mark that up so I'm not stuck with a roll of material I have no plans for

Kottwitz-Graphics

I saw it too that you are passing the cost of materials along without a mark up. are you giving that away?

Double the cost of materials, and don't just charge for gas. IRS denotes travel charge at something like $.56 a mile. Either charge the mileage, or the hour you will spend in the truck at $75. That covers the gas, wear and tear, all the associated costs (insurance, oil consumption, etc.) And you should get paid for your time...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Double the cost of materials, and don't just charge for gas. IRS denotes travel charge at something like $.56 a mile. Either charge the mileage, or the hour you will spend in the truck at $75. That covers the gas, wear and tear, all the associated costs (insurance, oil consumption, etc.) And you should get paid for your time...

Here is something I question. I'm not known for being flexible, but perhaps some of you can enlighten me on this.

If your shop hourly rate is $75 an hour. Why then, would your time only be worth an hourly wage for being in the shop while you're out on the road, in traffic and all kindsa other crap and you're not in the shop where all of your tools are, all of the needs and wants of any given job vs. being out away from phones, customers and many other things ?? We always jack our 'on the road' prices up quite a bit, regardless who is in the truck, along with our on-site costs. It's based upon which truck we're using and what the job entails.

Like this one in the thread...... 1 hour round trip, I'd be at a least $150 just for travel time alone, plus prepping, loading the truck, unloading the truck and then some.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Here is something I question. I'm not known for being flexible, but perhaps some of you can enlighten me on this.

If your shop hourly rate is $75 an hour. Why then, would your time only be worth an hourly wage for being in the shop while you're out on the road, in traffic and all kindsa other crap and you're not in the shop where all of your tools are, all of the needs and wants of any given job vs. being out away from phones, customers and many other things ?? We always jack our 'on the road' prices up quite a bit, regardless who is in the truck, along with our on-site costs. It's based upon which truck we're using and what the job entails.

Like this one in the thread...... 1 hour round trip, I'd be at a least $150 just for travel time alone, plus prepping, loading the truck, unloading the truck and then some.

The way that I see it, an hourly rate is in place to cover the cost of running your business. This includes insurance, utilities, rent, machine leases, advertising, and money to pay yourself. The rate covers all the hours that I am able to work, and covers putting a little back for a vacation.

So riding in a vehicle is no different than sitting on the computer designing, or coating out MDO. The one thing that you said that really doesn't make sense to me is about being away from the shop, where the tools are. I have my vinyl installation supplies in a tool box, that contains a selection of squeegees, x-actos, masking tape, tape measures, scissors, pencils, and garbage bags. I just grab it, and off I go. Most vinyl jobs that's all I need. I don't ever remember wishing I had a skill saw while riding in the truck. I do add an extra 15 minutes travel time to cover loading, unloading, and putting all my tools away.

Now if I have a helper going with me, I add an extra charge because I have to pay him, and that should fall on the customer, not cut into my hourly rate...

If your able to charge $150 per hour to drive to install a sign, by all means go for it. My philosophy is you won't get it if you don't ask for it.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Thanks guys.
It's actually 20'. not 10.
I want to buy a smaller clear tape because i need to get a clear tape anyway. I have 30" paper tape but they only gonna need a 3 inch stripe. I would rather not have seams every 50 inch or something. I can do the biggest window in 1 piece with a 15" vinyl with the small transfer tape. Plus when it comes to smaller transfer tapes i like the clear with grid pattern a lot better than paper.

rossmosh

Have you thought about suggesting a bolder stripe? Your margin of error is small on this job. You screw up even a little bit, and it's going to show.

jman

Use paper tape and wet lay if you need to. Easy easy.

$320-$400 sounds about right. Double materials and then add in your hourly for the labor including travel. Simple!

S'N'S

As previously said, lay it wet. I have never masked window frost/etch vinyl unless it has lettering/logo cut into the piece.