• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L360 and printing on clear vinyl possible?

JERHEMI

I have a project coming up and I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish it. This customer wants the attached pattern minus the white background and similar variations of it applied transparent to the glass walls in the attached photo spanning both walls. I've thought of transparent colored vinyl, but I can't find those exact 3 PMS colors and it would be a PIA trying to apply all those individual contour cut colors like a puzzle on that glass. So with that being said, is it possible to print on clear vinyl with the L360? If so, what vinyl do you recommend that works well with the L360, has air release or can be wet applied to the glass? I think printing the entire pattern, contour cutting it as a group, applying application tape then applying would be the way to go. Any other tips or suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7007.jpg
    IMG_7007.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 167
  • pattern.jpg
    pattern.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 133

JERHEMI

Thanks guys! Can it be wet applied with Rapid Tac? These are going to be huge pieces and want it to be perfect.

JERHEMI

Sounds good...I'm also being told 3951 transparent, which is cast, is an option as well. Is the 3651 going to shrink over time and look bad or should I go with the nicer 3951 since this will be displayed for many years and want it to stay looking nice? I've never worked with either material, so just trying to get informed. Thanks

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We print on clear all the time with the 360. Keep in mind you may have to go heavy on the ink saturation to achieve richer colors especially if it's backlit.

the graphics co

3M makes an optically clear vinyl for this type of application. Works well for us, and installs nicely wet. I print using an L25500, i am sure the 360 could handle it. Keep in mind you won't hit pantone colors on a clear window without a white backer, there is no way to get the appropriate saturation on a clear window with light coming through the back.

JERHEMI

Do you know the exact 3M material you use?

3M makes an optically clear vinyl for this type of application. Works well for us, and installs nicely wet. I print using an L25500, i am sure the 360 could handle it. Keep in mind you won't hit pantone colors on a clear window without a white backer, there is no way to get the appropriate saturation on a clear window with light coming through the back.

Morkel

I have a project coming up and I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish it. This customer wants the attached pattern minus the white background and similar variations of it applied transparent to the glass walls in the attached photo spanning both walls. I've thought of transparent colored vinyl, but I can't find those exact 3 PMS colors and it would be a PIA trying to apply all those individual contour cut colors like a puzzle on that glass. So with that being said, is it possible to print on clear vinyl with the L360? If so, what vinyl do you recommend that works well with the L360, has air release or can be wet applied to the glass? I think printing the entire pattern, contour cutting it as a group, applying application tape then applying would be the way to go. Any other tips or suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you!

Just making sure you understand the colours will be washed out? Because CMYK inks are translucent, they effectively multiply over whatever is "behind" them - be that a white print surface, or whatever image comes through a clear glass. Think of it like an overhead transparency film.

So it won't look like this:

attachment.php

It'll look like this:

attachment.php

Most people understand this, so I hope I don't sound condescending. However we have sales reps that used to be from the supplier side of things (as in, literally sold the printers and print medias), and even they do not understand this and have to be reminded every time...

Attachments

• WINDOW_Solid.jpg
    WINDOW_Solid.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 220
  • WINDOW_Transparent.jpg
    WINDOW_Transparent.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 220

JERHEMI

Thank you! The customer wants it to be transparent like a colored window tint so you can see through the glass.

Just making sure you understand the colours will be washed out? Because CMYK inks are translucent, they effectively multiply over whatever is "behind" them - be that a white print surface, or whatever image comes through a clear glass. Think of it like an overhead transparency film.

So it won't look like this:

attachment.php

It'll look like this:

attachment.php

Most people understand this, so I hope I don't sound condescending. However we have sales reps that used to be from the supplier side of things (as in, literally sold the printers and print medias), and even they do not understand this and have to be reminded every time...

Morkel

Thank you! The customer wants it to be transparent like a colored window tint so you can see through the glass.

That is the effect that you'll get. As was mentioned above, you may need to bump up your ink density to get enough saturation, otherwise it may end up too subtle. Since there are a lot of Windows, I'd suggest you do some small trial prints and stick them on the customer's glass before you do the full run. Maybe run it on a normal Poly SAV setting, and also trial using a backlit setting. It'll be slower but will give you approx twice the ink density.

As for media, just make sure it has a solvent adhesive. We use a cheaper Poly SAV as standard, but it has a water-based adhesive so can show streaks on reverse-clear wet applications. For wet app, we use Arlon DPF4500. It's not the cheapest but it's reliable.

In regards to "optically clear", someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe it purports to be "invisible". I believe it just means that there will be no colour distortion if used in reverse applications or as a laminate, in contrast to other clears that may subtly have a yellowing effect. What this means is you WILL see that there is a vinyl applied to the glass, even if you do use an optically clear.. Even though it is clear it will still have a plastic-like appearance as opposed to the hard look of glass. Because of this, I would suggest that spending more on an optically clear may be redundant. Again, happy to be corrected by someone who knows better. I would suggest that you ask the customer what side of the glass they want it to look best from and apply it to the other side. If they want it to look best when viewed from the hall, print the pattern as a reverse and apply it from the inside of the individual rooms.