• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hp latex 360 printer

Commando

Anyone using the HP latex printer? If so how are you liking it? Trying to find out the pros and cons of it. Where could I get the best deal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for opinions on a wide format laminator.

StarSign

We have a 25500 that made it 3 years and I have a 210 that's 2 years old and having same problems that the 25000 had before we declared it dead. I really like the latex however we are going to change direction and go back to ecosolvent......

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Anyone using the HP latex printer? If so how are you liking it? Trying to find out the pros and cons of it. Where could I get the best deal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for opinions on a wide format laminator.

What are the main applications your looking to do? I can offer much help but need to get this one answered first.

dypinc

There are many post on here about the weaknesses and strength of these printers. If you're color management savvy and understand what HP has done you can probably get along just fine with an L360.

I would say what I see is it biggest weak is only having 1 lc/lm print head, which is causing a lot of color variations most likely from ink starvation and lack of nozzle redundancy. Most likely you will need to slow it down by using higher passes, more inter-pass delay or set up especially the 8, 6 or 4 pass to use CMYK only.

Also be aware that most canned profiles available for it were made before the last firmware and are no longer even close to being color accurate with the latest firmware.

There are a ton of posts on pros and cons of these printers. I personally love them, for the fast printing and drying. As well as the wide array of materials you can print on.

As far as a deal your not going to really find one. HP has made it very hard for dealers to cut prices or sell demo units at crazy good deals. They have one bottom price and that is the lowest you will find across the board. Where you will get deals is in extras. We got Corroplast sheets, vinyl, and magnetic material free from the distributor for buying the printer through them. This is from my understanding the only real deals you can get on the machines.

ericm

I have to say we've been using our HP latex 370s since August and I love them color is magnificent no banding nice solid color I would say we go through a set of bulk ink every other week and I would never go back to solvent ( have had jv3's jv5's and a jv33) best of luck on what ever you decide to get !!!

Christian @ 2CT Media

My job before starting my business was running eco solvent Mutohs. I made the decision after those headaches to get a latex machine for my business. We started with a HP L25500 in 2010, upgraded to a L26500 in Dec of 2013 after our curing module went out, and just recently 2 days ago installed a Latex 360.

My opinion on the 360, amazing. It's a huge step forward from the 2 series in many regards but most noticeably in print speed. After profiling we can print our SAV vinyl at 6 pass 300dpi bidi, this has effectively tripled our print speeds with the same quality as our 2 series. At 8pass 600dpi it is twice the speed and the quality is even better! We went from printing a full 150' roll in 7hrs (20lfph) to printing 3 full rolls in 7 hours (65lfph) at the same quality!

We have also noticed our colors are more vibrant and even due to the optimizer, big caveat is learning how to use the optimizer though. It plays hell with color saturation when over present and color quality when under present. Find the sweet spot and amazing things happen.

My recommendation is you should seriously consider looking closer at these machines and do a strong comparison with the competitors!

Drip Dry

Enough of the technical stuff. I'm stupid when it comes to making profiles and adjusting things. But I do know about
the everyday running of the machine.

First, I had a Roland Versacamm. We bought the Hp 360 about 8 mos. ago

We decided to buy the 360 over the 310 because they said it was faster and I liked the idea of the touchscreen. I don't think the 310 has a touchscreen. As far as speed, the 360 is faster printing ( when it's printing ) but the startup time and the cool down time added to the print time doesn't seem to make it much faster than my Versacamm.
But a big plus is the ability to take it off the machine and laminate it immediately. When we used the Versacamm, we tried to let prints dry overnight and we had them hanging all over the shop. Another plus is the take up reel. We can literally run hundreds of prints onto the take up. We can move the entire spool from the take up right to the laminator.

Now for the cons... Heat... Heat... Heat... It gets hot in the room. And lately, it's been fogging up the windows. So much that we turn the heat off. May be a good thing. You need to install 2-220 electric outlets. It seems that it must use a lot of power. I can't tell because just before we bought the machine, we were trying to reduce our ridiculously high electric bill
We changed the lighting and air conditioning compressor on the roof. So our bill is much lower. I can't tell how the new machine has affected the bill.
It seems that some materials curl from the heat and cause jams as it goes through the heater.
If I leave material in the machine overnight, it may jam when starting up in the morning, but I leave it in and take my chances because... Loading material is a pain. The versacamm loads from the back. It was easy to load.
This machine loads from the front. You have to actually bend over and look up into the machine to load it. Not something someone my age wants to do everyday. However, I found a stool the nail girls use when their manicuring nails. You sit on it and it's the perfect height. My other option is the 25 yr old that works for me. He makes short work out of it.

What about rip software. I used the Versaworks software for 10 years. Simple and to the point. But only works with Roland.
I think the HP 310 comes with a version of Flexi sign. If you buy the 360, you need to supply a rip. BTW, Flexi does a very good job with HP.

So, if I going to buy again, what would I buy ? Even after all the cons with the HP, I would buy it again. I like the fact of laminating right away and the take up. However, I would consider the 310. It costs less and maybe I don't need all the bells and whistles. It seem I don't know how to use most of them

TomK

We decided to buy the 360 over the 310 because they said it was faster and I liked the idea of the touchscreen. I don't think the 310 has a touchscreen. As far as speed, the 360 is faster printing ( when it's printing ) but the startup time and the cool down time added to the print time doesn't seem to make it much faster than my Versacamm.

Just FYI, the 310 has the touchscreen too, I'm pretty sure the HP 110 does as well.

dypinc

Interesting what HP has just done to their forums. Removed anything negative about the L3xx series. In fact you can't hardly find anything about the L3xx series now.

Strange

jfiscus

Rap Master
Man those numbers are seriously impressive. Tracking is good I take it, even at those speeds?

Looks like it's time to seriously consider a 360 as our next addition, we just can't rely on our Rolands any more and it is very clear that they (Roland) do not stand behind their products.
All of the newer generation printers are capable of very similar speeds. We have both the Latex 360 and Epson S60670 here and both are screaming fast printers that print whole rolls w/o problems all day every day. The only advantage of the HP is the ability to laminate right off of the printer; I know you are not supposed to laminate directly off of the Epson, but the ink is dry when it comes off of the printer. So, take that as you will. Our older Mimaki DEFINITELY requires a night off-gassing in our dryer box here. The HP will not give consistent colors (check the internet/forums here for more on that) and is a lot more problematic in my experience (loading issues/jams/skew errors/take-up-reel), whereas the Epson you just load it and tape it down.

tylercrum

Have an original L25500 that's been running since they first came on the market, and it's still going strong. Printing some banner stands right now.
We also have a 360 and it's amazing as well. Before latex we had a mimaki jv3 and although they are workhorses, I am NEVER going back to solvent in any form again. We print, lam, install and/or ship same day. And quality is amazing.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Man those numbers are seriously impressive. Tracking is good I take it, even at those speeds?

Looks like it's time to seriously consider a 360 as our next addition, we just can't rely on our Rolands any more and it is very clear that they (Roland) do not stand behind their products.

We haven't seen any tracking issues yet, we rarely had any on the 2 series though.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Are you kidding me!!!
All I've ever seen in here is negative posts about the HP360!

- Color will NEVER be right unless you go 12-16 pass.
- Jams all the time with many different types of media!
- pita to load!
- Puts out a lot of heat
- Has to have a 220V

HATE IT!

Christian @ 2CT Media

Are you kidding me!!!

- pita to load!
- Puts out a lot of heat
- Has to have a 220V

HATE IT!

Just printed a color critical job at 6pass 300di bidi and it matches my pantone book dang near exact.
Loading is super simple and jamming is a quirk but easy to remedy if you know how to trouble shoot.
Heat is going to be an issue on any machine with instant dry prints. Inks need to set either via heat or time, the latex chooses heat.
220V is a con? its more efficient then 120V

Do you even own a latex?

nate

Are you kidding me!!!

- pita to load!
- Puts out a lot of heat
- Has to have a 220V

HATE IT!

I've been with the HP Latex since the L65500-- before the L26500s came out. True they need a 220v. But the rest of these statements, especially the media jamming and color are just not something I've ever found. At one time I had 14 of the L25500. I now have the 360 units as well as a 3000--- HP Latex is a proven technology that makes me money.

(and truthfully the 220 is not a big deal at all----)

myront

CorelDRAW is best
You call inserting a rod through the roll an easy load?! You have to pull the roll out of the "socket", undo a lever to unlock a ring thingy from one rod end and set aside some where, pull the rod out and set it aside on a table, put your roll media away, grab the next roll and reverse all that process. Oh and if you use "X" type of media you gotta install these things, and if this type of media these things!

Other printers use sliders attached to the printer you slide in and out of the ends of the roll then load and go!

What about the stupid take-up reel! You either have to get used to wasting 5-6ft of material or forget about multitasking as you'll have to be right by that printer when it comes time to attach to the take-up. Wait you DID tell it that you want to use the take-up right, "uh.. forgot that step" sol. Other printers do not require you to manually snake it through a set of rollers then attach it to the takeup.

We were able to quickly show several employees in the shop how to operate our previous large format printer. Now we have one person who has taken several months now to learn it and doesn't have time to teach anyone else. Sucks to be him. If he gets taken out we're all sol.

DID I MENTION HOW MUCH I HATE THE HP360!!

Desert_Signs

You call inserting a rod through the roll an easy load?! You have to pull the roll out of the "socket", undo a lever to unlock a ring thingy from one rod end and set aside some where, pull the rod out and set it aside on a table, put your roll media away, grab the next roll and reverse all that process. Oh and if you use "X" type of media you gotta install these things, and if this type of media these things!

Other printers use sliders attached to the printer you slide in and out of the ends of the roll then load and go!

What about the stupid take-up reel! You either have to get used to wasting 5-6ft of material or forget about multitasking as you'll have to be right by that printer when it comes time to attach to the take-up. Wait you DID tell it that you want to use the take-up right, "uh.. forgot that step" sol. Other printers do not require you to manually snake it through a set of rollers then attach it to the takeup.

We were able to quickly show several employees in the shop how to operate our previous large format printer. Now we have one person who has taken several months now to learn it and doesn't have time to teach anyone else. Sucks to be him. If he gets taken out we're all sol.

DID I MENTION HOW MUCH I HATE THE HP360!!

Wow, I thought your first post was sarcasm.

I could literally teach a 5 year old how to load and print with the 360. It's the easiest printer I've ever used. Everyone in my shop, even my CS rep at the front desk can print with it.

I have a feeling you don't even own a 360... There's no way you could and make stupid comments like "you did tell it you want to use the takeup, right?" You DON'T HAVE TO TELL IT ANYTHING. My takeup has been disabled on the control panel since day 1, yet it works everytime.

I'm laughing my A off over here at your incompetence.

Tim Aucoin

Love the L360. In my second year of running it. It replaced our older 25500. Colour quality has never been an issue, excellent matching, excellent sharpness, excellent detail!
EASY TO LOAD... so what if I have to deal with inserting a "rod" through the roll LOL (first world problems!!). I may get a jam (while loading) once a month, but that's usually my own fault.
The take-up reel is excellent. If I happen to be very busy, then sure, I'll "waste" 5-6 feet of material to attach it so I don't have to babysit it. One way or another, customers DO pay for that waste! As far as the take-up reel setting goes, it has always been "disabled", yet when I want to use it, I simply attach the media to the core, insert the rod (oh my goodness... another rod to deal with LOL)... and switch it on. It just works! :Big Laugh

I've run Latex printers AND Ecosolvent printers... they are both excellent and both serve a purpose depending on a shop's specific needs. I still run a little Roland BN20 and love it. It's slow, but it serves a specific purpose in my shop! And so does the L360! :smile:

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...I could literally teach a 5 year old how to load and print with the 360.

...I have a feeling you don't even own a 360...

Uh.. hello a 5 year old can't lift a 40lb roll of 54" banner stock lol
I just feel the 360 is cumbersome to switch out medias.
and believe me we own a 360 so calm down!
Perhaps our HP rep failed to show the "easy way to load/unload" and/or use the takeup which we now have rigged to get by.

I have seen first hand double-sided banner stock jam because of the heat makes the material tacky and it sticks to the heating shroud. Works fine if you put the "skirts" in place. A lot of the times our wrap vinyl rolls off the backer when pushing it thru to load. We've had to revert to manual loading as per HP rep recommendation.

Where are you located? I'd like to see another 360 other than our own in action. jk. No need for you to reveal that.

p.s. think my head just burst open earlier and the steam just rolled out. Good now though. Going home.