• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Scitex FB700

kev324

I'm curious about the opinions on this machine. We are seriously looking at the FB950. Just saw some samples today from a 950 and obviously blows our 98UVX out of the water. My understanding is that to utilize the white ink option, you lose the Lc and Lm. Seems rather dumb to me. What really catches me eye is that it, like the FB500 currently, uses TCP/IP instead of the Colorspan videonet. Oh, and the tables look like a much better design, if that really matters. :) Anybody else hear know anything about it, see it in Germany?

wp013

Fb950

We have a FB910... the FB950 is the same printer but with 6 sets of heads which are the same heads as the 72UVX.
Do not buy a 950 wait for the FB500 or the FB700 to come out they have a larger Ricoh head that prints a lower pixel.

Hzone15

Kev:

You pretty much nailed it on the head the differences between the FB 700 and 950.

The print heads are different and produce a better looking print based on slightly small drop size. The 950 also offers great quality.

For most general sign printing they will both do a great job. The Big question is White? The 950 will not be retro fitted for white.

The question is can you wait towards the end of the year. I was told shipments to start towards the end of the year.

H

kev324

We were worried about being able to get anything from HP before the end of the year. Grimco has a 950 but aren't selling it allegedly because they can't replace it until the 700 is available.We ended up ordering a 950 from our usual vendor, it will be here this week. Was hoping for the 700 but the 950 is still a good step up. White would be cool to have but loosing the 6 color plus the extra work keeping the white heads clean everyday wasn't worth waiting for.

I guess I can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure the 950 doesn't use the same heads as the 72uvx. Granted, I'm assuming the 72uvx uses the same heads as my 98uvx. The droplet size is fixed near 25 picoliters on the 98uvx while the 950 is variable down to 15 picoliters. The quality difference is very noticeable, the 950 can print small type and images much cleaner. Even in production mode, the 950 looks fantastic.

Hzone15

I am sure you will be happy with the 950. Correct the UVX and 910 use the same print heads. The 950 has the variable drop and 6 color.

Good Luck

DoubleDown

I have a ton of experience with all these machines and I'd wait for the 700. It really is a good machine with quite a few speed selections and much better printheads.

Now for the bad side...HP warranty and service. We are all hoping they have learned from the last couple years (and I think they have) but keep in mind that with any machine, it will break and it's called do you want to pay $15-$20K every year for an extended service plan that DOES NOT INCLUDE HEADS? How long does it take to get an experienced service person at your door or on the phone? HP is coming out with some pretty cool stuff along these lines soon but only time will tell.

To a large degree most of the machines out there are decent machines but what will set anyone apart is the service and reliability the manufacturer can promise you IN WRITING. Not what they sell you over the phone or in person, in writing...get everything in writing.

For example, an electric part goes bad on the machine and costs $10K to replace...they said it was caused by static...how can you prove them wrong unless you know more than them? And you don't have time to argue because you've got jobs lined up ready to go. Just think about these things really, really carefully.

Hzone15

Double Down. I was told the Service agreement has changed to Monthly and that you can opt out with a 30-day notice. So they do have some things in the works as far as trying to minimize the 2nd year MA cost.

PS the White Change over takes 4 hours and burns through .5 liters of ink.

I think the FB 700 is going to be a great choice. I have outgrown my 72 UVR ten times over.

H

kkamauu

We are just heading back from the ISA trade show Las Vegas - i checked out the FB 700 and was very impressed with speed.

Does anyone know how often we should expect the heads to be replaced?

(kookoo660 - is that price $1,100 for the FB700 heads?)

kkamauu

anyone have any more info on the HP FB700? we are looking at the following 3 flatbeds:

FB700, Mimaki jfx 1631, Rastek H652

Recommendations??? Opinions??

SignManiac

I run a FB950 and it's been reliable. After two years, I'm getting ready to replace the first print head. Only had one service call in two years.

cdiesel

We have a 950 and are very happy with it overall. We run the heck out of it. Very reasonable speed for its class and price. Very low maintenance (about an hour a week).

We looked at the Rasteks before purchasing our FB950, and were not impressed at all. The price is less, but you obviously aren't getting as much for your dollar. These are Rasteks, not Vuteks. Very light weight printers, not a lot of features.

The Mimaki is only 63" wide and the 950 is three times faster. Again, less money, but less printer.

ForgeInc

We have had our FB 700 running for about 3 weeks. We aren't quite in full production mode yet, but are generally happy with the results and will be running it solid starting next week. A few things we have noticed...if you are printing on acrylic, turn the lamps up all the way or the ink will easily scratch and peel. If you are cutting acrylic and want to premask it for shipping and/or protection while cutting, make sure and use low tack pre mask or it'll peel. Also, we haven't been able to get a smooth gradient on a light cyan to white blend we regularly use at all, it always shows banding. Am beginning to think it's an onyx10 issue, so I might recommend trying caldera for rip. Finally, buy the roll to roll, white, and extension table options. Remember, white takes 2 hours pretty much on the nose to switch over. I'm sure I'll have more opinions in the next month or so I can share.

cdiesel

Hey Forge,
I asked about the acrylic adhesion issue at ISA. I was asked if we were using DA or standard cast acrylic. The situation we discussed before, we were using a standard cast acrylic. They said this is most likely the cause, as standard cast acrylic is smoother and has more oil in it than DA (digital acrylic)?

We haven't noticed any banding/gradient issues. Of course, ours is a 950, so that may cause a difference.

How do you like the white printing? We're considering adding another flatbed, and are looking at the FB700 and the Vutek QS3200. The QS is a seven channel printer so there's no changeover time or waste. Not sure if I'd go for the white if we were to buy a 700..

kkamauu

We had a customer that needed images printed on a normal folder with pockets. We took it to a shop that has the Arizona, but they werent able to print on it because of the suction. Could the HP FB printers print on folders with the inside pockets?(very normal folders).

cdiesel

Can't say I've ever tried printing onto folders.. I would expect that it wouldn't be a problem. Worst case scenario, you may need to cover up some of the belt that is not occupied by the folder(s).

ForgeInc

We were using cast acrylic and white for that job. We weighed the white issue and the changeover. Our thoughts were, white is probably 10% of our business. One benefit of switching over is the heads don't need to constantly be cleaned as much, so you don't waste as much ink by flushing the white all the time. Not sure how vutek heads are cleaned or how often, but our reseller also sells agfas and recommended the 700 hands down for ease of use + how little ink is wasted using white. He mentioend white heads on agfas tend to clog more often and need replacing. Of course, you do waste some switching over so maybe it's a wash not sure.

Also, if you are printing white on best quality print setting that puppy slows way down. I think like 40sf an hour?

Regarding the pocket question, again...we haven't really run it full on production mode yet but the belt seems to have a fairly strong vacuum. I would think it'd stay down. Like Diesel said, Worst case you could cover part of the belt or perhaps even tape em down.

One thing I'll throw out there. If anyone is really interested in buying a 700 I don't think they are very readily available right now and may be a ways out, so might wanna check on delivery times.

wp013

Since this posting started I bought a HP500 4 months ago and just ordered a 700. I am very happy with the increased speed of the 500 vs my FB910 (9840 ) The high resolution heads are great. We only switch to White 1 time a month unless the customer is willing to pay $350 for a changeover.
The new series of 500 & 800 print better than a Vutek and we print an average speed of 6 4 x 8 per hour... unless you are printing White then its about 1.25 sheets per hour.
I am very happy with HP and you do need to get the extended service agreement on any of these flatbeds in my opinion

kkamauu

How does the quality look on plexi? (reverse print with white?) would you say it is comparable to Arizona?

thanks,
Kahea