• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I believe in providing levity to my coworkers

C

ColoPrinthead

So I had to replace a signacaid that was blown over and broken by the wind, because the guy who was hired as my senior didn't bother to do it right. Now it is just me, and after looking online and finding buying sand at a store would mean I would have at least 20lbs left over,I realized I would have to ask to the corporate purchasing officer to buy a 10lb bag on amazon and how crazy that would seem to her.You guys have been so boring lately, I needed the entertainment.

First email:
email subject title was: I need something from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-Scie...dchild=1&keywords=sand&qid=1593705511&sr=8-23
Yes, I am requesting that you purchase 10lbs. of sand for the sign shop.
Thanks!
-Me

Response:Why????????????

Because store 20.
Thanks!

I need more detail. Why does store 20 need this?

If I source the sand from Home Depot Lowes or Ace, I have to buy 50lbs of Sand and that is more than what I need. Do you need any sand? I could give you the extra 40lbs, but then I would have to buy a scale to weigh it also; I think this predicament explains itself.
Regards.

I am asking why you need sand? What will it be used for? I cannot order stuff just because.

I don’t need the sand, Store 20 needs the sand. Pay attention pleas, my time is precious.
Regards.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I bet she gets paid more than you. Theyre like the safety guy, 1 task 40 hrs a week, it must be boring and unrewarding

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
So I had to replace a signacaid that was blown over and broken by the wind, because the guy who was hired as my senior didn't bother to do it right. Now it is just me, and after looking online and finding buying sand at a store would mean I would have at least 20lbs left over,I realized I would have to ask to the corporate purchasing officer to buy a 10lb bag on amazon and how crazy that would seem to her.You guys have been so boring lately, I needed the entertainment.

First email:
https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-Scie...dchild=1&keywords=sand&qid=1593705511&sr=8-23
Thanks!
-Me

Because store 20.
Thanks!

If I source the sand from Home Depot Lowes or Ace, I have to buy 50lbs of Sand and that is more than what I need. Do you need any sand? I could give you the extra 40lbs, but then I would have to buy a scale to weigh it also; I think this predicament explains itself.
Regards.

I am asking why you need sand? What will it be used for? I cannot order stuff just because.

I don’t need the sand, Store 20 needs the sand. Pay attention pleas, my time is precious.
Regards.
Have you considered using water instead of sand?

C

ColoPrinthead

Good lord. I find no entertainment in this. Just despair.
hell, you live in Arlington, you have not seen any good enertainmennt in years. The last time I saw anything worth watching in Arlington, was when I worked night's for AutoTrader and drove over for lunch at 3AM - I have seen the class you live in.

C

ColoPrinthead

Have you considered using water instead of sand?
That would spill during delivery, Robert.
Seeing has we share the same first name I would like to share with you that it means wealthy and/or famous; how is that working out for you? Given the choice of the two, which would you choose?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
That would spill during delivery, Robert.
Seeing has we share the same first name I would like to share with you that it means wealthy and/or famous; how is that working out for you? Given the choice of the two, which would you choose?
On the water. Signicades are built to hold water. You can put the water in after delivery.
On the name Robert, my father had nicknames for me.

C

ColoPrinthead

I bet she gets paid more than you. Theyre like the safety guy, 1 task 40 hrs a week, it must be boring and unrewarding
The owner of the company hates EHS, and they are very timid when they ask anything from me. I am one of two people at my level in the company that have not put the time in yet to be granted a slice of ownership - That could happen for me or not in the years to come - But the purchasing officer will never see it even after she hits 20 later this year.

C

ColoPrinthead

I thought plasticades products were meant to be filled with sand.
That is what the instructions say, but I am sure water could work if I did not have to put it on a truck, just like some patio umbrella holders. I have a feeling that 10lbs of sand will not save this sign from fierce winds that come rolling down the foot hills of the Rockies.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
That is what the instructions say, but I am sure water could work if I did not have to put it on a truck, just like some patio umbrella holders. I have a feeling that 10lbs of sand will not save this sign from fierce winds that come rolling down the foot hills of the Rockies.
Water wont work in their junky rock n roll stands. The water wont hold the post in place, sand will.

ikarasu

Purchasing officers are usually a pain. I get it... but still.

Our old purchaser used to hassle us for everything. Why do you need TWO of these when 1 will last you 2 weeks?! One time I said so I didnt have to go through this again next week :p

You had to justify everything. Tell them why you needed it, how long it lasts, etc. Then she'd spend a week searching stores to find a cheaper price.

when I took over purchasing (I demanded it, was a pain in the ass dealing with her) I bought green tape instead of masking tape. It was literally .20 a roll more than the masking tape, I spent $5 more on the order. I got a 5 paragraph e-mail... And 10 follow up replies about why it was a waste of money and how we didnt buy green tape because it costs more, and why I need green tape over masking, etc. It was funny and it was sad... I had to mention in the final E-mail that we wasted an hour + going back and fourth over $5 worth of tape :confused:

Ever since I took over purchasing... things have gone a lot smoother. I don't question every single purchase - most of our employees order what they need, when they need it. People shouldn't need to justify every single purchase for a job... If someone isn't doing it properly, then you train them, or babysit them with their purchases - not punish everyone for it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Y
Purchasing officers are usually a pain. I get it... but still.

Our old purchaser used to hassle us for everything. Why do you need TWO of these when 1 will last you 2 weeks?! One time I said so I didnt have to go through this again next week :p

You had to justify everything. Tell them why you needed it, how long it lasts, etc. Then she'd spend a week searching stores to find a cheaper price.

when I took over purchasing (I demanded it, was a pain in the *** dealing with her) I bought green tape instead of masking tape. It was literally .20 a roll more than the masking tape, I spent $5 more on the order. I got a 5 paragraph e-mail... And 10 follow up replies about why it was a waste of money and how we didnt buy green tape because it costs more, and why I need green tape over masking, etc. It was funny and it was sad... I had to mention in the final E-mail that we wasted an hour + going back and fourth over $5 worth of tape :confused:

Ever since I took over purchasing... things have gone a lot smoother. I don't question every single purchase - most of our employees order what they need, when they need it. People shouldn't need to justify every single purchase for a job... If someone isn't doing it properly, then you train them, or babysit them with their purchases - not punish everyone for it.

Well.... why did you need the green tape?

ikarasu

We do a lot of vehicle wraps. And while masking generally does work.. Green vehicle grade tape works better. All it has to do is save us 1 minute per vehicle and it'd be worth spending 5 times as much to get green tape.

We also do a ton of screen printing. Green tape comes off the screens easier when we need to block something off...

Lots of reasons to use it! I mainly find the email exchange we had about it hilarious. Literally got 3-5 paragraph emails... About 5 back and fourths about me spending. I'll share an excert of it... Just because I find it hilarious. We probably wasted an hour emailing eachother debating it.

Hi Brandon:

Not sure whether you are aware that historically, we have been using the Masking Tape ShurtapeNatural CP106 instead of the Painters Mask Green Tape due to cost.

Our last purchase price on the CP106 is $3.36 in May 2018 versus $3.64 for the Painters Green. Years ago, I switched it to CP106 in order to facilitate our production cost. Nonetheless, at times, production advise me that they need to order 1 case of the Painters Mate which usually last almost a year since they have been advised to use this more expensive tape sparingly.
In addition, please check with Sherwin Williams to see whether you are able to get better pricing from them on the Painters Green tape.

I noticed that we did not order any CP106 since May 2018. Please review to facilitate our production cost.

My reply:

Hello xx,

Yes Im aware we switched to the cp106 due to cost - the production staff has asked me to bring a box of green tape in since they are almost out. I saw that there is only a 30 cents per roll price difference so I decided to bring only the green tape in. One of the benefits of me taking over purchasing is my experience in production - I can tell you that the 30 cents a roll premium pays for itself on the first taped off section in a vehicle were wrapping. all the production staff prefers this tape as its easier to work with and will save time on every job we do. None the less... We can revisit this in 2-3 months when I order more and see if the extra $7 is worth it.

That's one of about 8 emails in the chain. :D I thought it was hilarious and was.mostly joking around, but it was taken seriously and we had a huge debate on whether it's worth it or a waste of money. In the end I convinced myself she had a backdoor deal going with the old tape manufacturer and was getting a kick back ;)

Come April first I'm going to order some rainbow tape. See if I get any grief about it . :cool: And just to point out, no matter how crazy she is were always civil. We just have different priorities... To this day I remind her about the $100 in time we spent emailing eachother to save $5 on tape. I think she realizes now how crazy it was... We both have a chuckle over it.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp

First email:
Thanks!
-Me

Because store 20.
Thanks!

Regards.

Regards.
Robert, there are two other reasons.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We do a lot of vehicle wraps. And while masking generally does work.. Green vehicle grade tape works better. All it has to do is save us 1 minute per vehicle and it'd be worth spending 5 times as much to get green tape.

We also do a ton of screen printing. Green tape comes off the screens easier when we need to block something off...

Lots of reasons to use it! I mainly find the email exchange we had about it hilarious. Literally got 3-5 paragraph emails... About 5 back and fourths about me spending. I'll share an excert of it... Just because I find it hilarious. We probably wasted an hour emailing eachother debating it.

Hi Brandon:

Not sure whether you are aware that historically, we have been using the Masking Tape ShurtapeNatural CP106 instead of the Painters Mask Green Tape due to cost.

Our last purchase price on the CP106 is $3.36 in May 2018 versus $3.64 for the Painters Green. Years ago, I switched it to CP106 in order to facilitate our production cost. Nonetheless, at times, production advise me that they need to order 1 case of the Painters Mate which usually last almost a year since they have been advised to use this more expensive tape sparingly.
In addition, please check with Sherwin Williams to see whether you are able to get better pricing from them on the Painters Green tape.

I noticed that we did not order any CP106 since May 2018. Please review to facilitate our production cost.

My reply:

Hello xx,

Yes Im aware we switched to the cp106 due to cost - the production staff has asked me to bring a box of green tape in since they are almost out. I saw that there is only a 30 cents per roll price difference so I decided to bring only the green tape in. One of the benefits of me taking over purchasing is my experience in production - I can tell you that the 30 cents a roll premium pays for itself on the first taped off section in a vehicle were wrapping. all the production staff prefers this tape as its easier to work with and will save time on every job we do. None the less... We can revisit this in 2-3 months when I order more and see if the extra $7 is worth it.

That's one of about 8 emails in the chain. :D I thought it was hilarious and was.mostly joking around, but it was taken seriously and we had a huge debate on whether it's worth it or a waste of money. In the end I convinced myself she had a backdoor deal going with the old tape manufacturer and was getting a kick back ;)

Come April first I'm going to order some rainbow tape. See if I get any grief about it . :cool: And just to point out, no matter how crazy she is were always civil. We just have different priorities... To this day I remind her about the $100 in time we spent emailing eachother to save $5 on tape. I think she realizes now how crazy it was... We both have a chuckle over it.

This makes me glad I work for myself....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As ya get older, ya don't give a sh!t what things cost, you just go for ease of use and weight differentials. Heck, with this covid19 toilet paper shortage, I'm going through underwear like crazy............... need to buy it weekly. Try to find deals on those little buggers.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
One of my guys tried to levitate off the upper third of a 12-foot ladder. He was doing great at the start but not so well by the time he got to the bottom.

C

ColoPrinthead

One of my guys tried to levitate off the upper third of a 12-foot ladder. He was doing great at the start but not so well by the time he got to the bottom.
Did you fire him before he hit the ground?

Gino, I don't want anymore crap in this shop than I already have, and being a descendant of people who lived the dust bowl means I have a hard time wasting stuff.