• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"I know this is being nitpicky, but...

Deaton Design

These words always give me the chills when they come out of a customers mouth. This morning, sent a bumper sticker design to a lady whose husband is running for political office here. She said everything looked good, and I know this is being nitpicky, but could you put a space between the comma and his name in the paid for part? When printed, this little tag will be about three inches long by 1/16th of an inch high. It has to be on there, but you barely can read it, but she said it was bothering her. She wins my picky customer of the month award. May even win the whole year award, lol.

Marlene

people are strange about what they think just has to be. some times it's almost like they just can't say "yes" to something without a little input and change to make them feel they really looked it over and approved it.

SignManiac

You would shoot yourself if you had to deal with some of my customers. I have the patience of a saint otherwise I'd kill em all.

Jane Diaz

Here's Bill's advice that we use on a REGULAR basis!
"When I announced I was going into business, my dad told me I should know the secret of the "clamp" trick.

When he was a young machine designer he worked under an engineer who was extremely hard to please. Dad was determined to do his best and please this guy -- even taking work home until he thought it was right. On one project they were working on a machine that had converyor belt on it. The engineer reviewed my dad's blueprint and said, "Are you done, Bill?" Dad said he was, so the engineer said, "Well I think you need to put a clamp over here." My dad, utterly frustrated said, "I've been over and over these plans and I assure you we don't need a clamp there."

The engineer said, "I know that and you know that, but this customer we're working with here is anal as hell and he'll find something wrong no matter what. So we'll put this clamp over here in a place that's easy to spot and easy to erase. Then he'll spot the flaw, suggest a correction and get his jollies.

To Dad's amazement the customer scanned the plans until he spotted the unnecessary clamp and his eyes lit up. He asked Dad if he was done. Dad said he was. Then he said, "Well I think you did an admirable job here, young man, but do you think we really need a clamp over here." Dad looked at the engineer and the engineer said, "You know, I don't think we need a clamp there, and we could probably save a bunch, considering how many machines we're making. Let's take that clamp out.

The customer puffed out his chest and said, "Very well then, proceed with the plan minus the clamp." Before the customer made his way out the building, Dad received a wink from the engineer, grabbed the eraser, and low and behold that clamp was gone.

We use the clamp trick from time to time, and you'll need to too. When we get an anal customer like that, Jane will look at me and I'll look at her and will both say at the same time, "CLAMP TRICK!" This is usually leaving a phone number out of the design or maybe even misspelling a word on a sketch if a big enough clamp is needed.

Good luck, though, I do think this is one of the greatest businesses. Not the greatest money, but the satisfaction you'll have from doing a job-well-done, you can't put a price on."

gnatt66

people are strange about what they think just has to be. some times it's almost like they just can't say "yes" to something without a little input and change to make them feel they really looked it over and approved it.

quoted for truth....even worse in our picture frame shop, imo.

Deaton Design

I was thinking the same thing, cause I just go along with them and do what they want. Patience is definitely a virutue when dealing with the public.
Great story Jane!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Jane, that was really a neat story. I think unconsciously, I have used that process of thinking many times.... just never put it into words.

That's truly where most people are coming from. Unless they make a change... no matter how small, they fell like they aren't getting their money's worth until they become part of the equation.

John, I always tell them... it's easier to change it now before we print them, than telling me after the fact.

Dice

you: "Sure can, but that will be a $25 Revision charge."

9 out of 10 times: "Ohh really, ohh lets just keep it like it is"

You have to put up a revision fee for ANY change. This will stop customers from requesting change after change after change.

Jane Diaz

Well the trick is you have to make it glaringly obvious and an easily changed item! That is a fun challenge in itself! Like I say we use it all the time and it works so well. The customers feel so justified in correcting us and we apologize so humblily for our glaring error.... :Oops:

Marlene

great story Jane. it does seem that when asked to proof a design, the customer is happier when they find a flaw.

Jillbeans

I have also come close to killing a customer over the back-and-forth BS of something like a period or a phone number dash.
Some people really do want the control of one tiny little thing.
It's usually because everything else in their life is out of control.
Have you ever replied "OK I will fix that" and sent back the identical sketch and they say "Oh I love it!"?
:)
I agree, the clamp story is great, but coming from Bill and Jane I wouldn't have expected anything less.
Love....Jill

speedneeds

Several years ago I worked at a new car dealer as an auto tech. One day one of the other techs had just repaired a customers vehicle and the customer comes back in complaining about how bad the vehicle is running now. The car was running great but the customer thought the tech was to young to know what he was doing. So there was and old tech in the shop who knew what was going on and he came up to the the young tech and said "Son can't you hear that miss?". He proceeded to bend over the fender of the car and acted as if he adjusted the carb. He stood up and asked the customer if that was better and the customer agreed the car run so much better now. After the customer left the old tech laughed and told the young tech that sometimes you just have to use slight of hand to satisfy some customers.

Same old tech had a customer that was constantly coming in with speeding tickets and complaining about his speedometer being off. So the tech actually changed the speedometer gear to reflect a speed of about 10 MPH faster than the guy was actually driving, so now when he was running 75 he was actually doing 65. About 6 months after the change the customer comes in and tells the tech "See I was right I have not received a ticket since you calibrated the speedometer." As long as the customer thought he was speeding and not getting caught he was happy.

Malkin

I printed that story out and gave it to one of the guys in the shop.

15 minutes later he asked me to review a drawing he did, and as I looked at it (not thinking clearly) I actually said "What's this clamp here in the corner?" He had drawn in an extraneous c-clamp.