• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I like crisp edges and I cannot lie, you other signers can't deny...

visualeyez

Up late, just finished some MDO signs. I think they look pretty solid. Double sided, just vinyl on MDO with some corner brackets. 8" x 22" hoping to get $96 each.

Question being, does anybody else paint the edges after applying full bleed vinyl? I think it looks great, but I don't see it very often. Even if the vinyl shrinks, it will create a nice "feature stripe (border)" of the white substrate.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160107_123821.jpg
    20160107_123821.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 20160107_123821.jpg
    20160107_123821.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 201

visualeyez

Apparently the forum downsizes uploaded images. Hope this one has some detail...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160107_123821z.jpg
    20160107_123821z.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 172

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If what you say is true, that you like crisp edges, why not do it in a fashion, that you get your wish ??

Why not paint the panels navy blue and apply white die cut vinyl ?? Never hafta worry about shrinkage, borders or longevity. This procedure will last near 10 years for less time and money, let alone a better product.

reQ

If what you say is true, that you like crisp edges, why not do it in a fashion, that you get your wish ??

Why not paint the panels navy blue and apply white die cut vinyl ?? Never hafta worry about shrinkage, borders or longevity. This procedure will last near 10 years for less time and money, let alone a better product.

Plus i guess its for inside anyways, so yeah, will last forever

J Hill Designs

the white edges aren't nearly as much of an eyesore as the unpainted brackets

edit: and "hoping to get $96?" did you not quote before manufacture? I don't get it.

DerbyCitySignGuy

the white edges aren't nearly as much of an eyesore as the unpainted brackets

edit: and "hoping to get $96?" did you not quote before manufacture? I don't get it.

My guess is they're prototypes or tests and not for an actual client or job. A proof of concept or whatever you want to call it.

OldPaint

less then 4 sq ft sign for $100? $25 a SQ FOOT......... nice if you can get it.....
dont like the white edge......why not same blue as face? for good clean edges.....and longevity.....i woulda taken the boards painted gloss white, applied the lettering in vinyl mask, painted the boards blue(edges also)removed the vinly mask.......wala......an all paint sign.....that will never shrink)))

CanuckSigns

I agree about the white edges. Here are some that we recently made, it's 3 pieces of p95 acrylic, reverse painted, with raised ADA lettering on the face (not required, but I think it looks nicer than vinyl) the middle piece is 0.75" longer than the 2 outer pieces, to allow it to fit into the bracket, we drilled and tapped a hole through the bracket and acrylic piece and put a set screw in to hold everything, i don't like exposed fasteners on my interior signs if I can avoid it.

We got around $165 each for the signs.

Attachments

• stair blade sign.jpg
    stair blade sign.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 151
  • stair blade sign 2.jpg
    stair blade sign 2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 124

Billct2

I agree about the brackets being fugly. I would use an angle the full length of the sign, similar to what Watson did. Then leave aluminum or cover with vinyl.
You can add a little length to the sign for what will be hidden and center on what is visible.
For dark color backgrounds I use black PVC. No need to paint.

Kottwitz-Graphics

less then 4 sq ft sign for $100? $25 a SQ FOOT......... nice if you can get it...)

Can't get it if you don't ask. I just recently sold (2) 18" x 96" single sided signs and (1) 24" x 96" double sided sign, with digitally printed faces and installed for $4,400.

dont like the white edge......why not same blue as face? for good clean edges.....and longevity.....i woulda taken the boards painted gloss white, applied the lettering in vinyl mask, painted the boards blue(edges also)removed the vinly mask.......wala......an all paint sign.....that will never shrink)))
+1. I would have done the same, or just painted it and used white hp vinyl.

CanuckSigns

Can't get it if you don't ask. I just recently sold (2) 18" x 96" single sided signs and (1) 24" x 96" double sided sign, with digitally printed faces and installed for $4,400.

Didn't you get the memo, all signs must be sold by the square foot now, except for dimensional signs, which are to be sold on volume.

rossmosh

All that matters is that you and your client are happy. Personally, I'd recommend going to 12/13mm white PVC/Sintra instead of MDO. Although the material is a bit more expensive, you're production time should drop a good amount, especially if you needed to do a decent run.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All that matters is that you and your client are happy. Personally, I'd recommend going to 12/13mm white PVC/Sintra instead of MDO. Although the material is a bit more expensive, you're production time should drop a good amount, especially if you needed to do a decent run.

If all that matters is that you and your client are happy, what sense is there to come here and ask questions ?? Or discuss possibilities ?? Why offer him suggestions for other substrates, like you did, if he's already happy ?? A site like this, a magazine or just going to a sign mixer always broadens one's horizons.

For instance, let's suppose these signs are going into a hospital, daycare center or grocery store. You want the OP here, to blindly use your sintra idea ?? Do you realize, sintra has LEAD in it ?? You wanna put lead in areas where people are sick, young tissue at work or your food source ??

See how easy it is to learn, just by saying something ??

rossmosh

If all that matters is that you and your client are happy, what sense is there to come here and ask questions ?? Or discuss possibilities ?? Why offer him suggestions for other substrates, like you did, if he's already happy ?? A site like this, a magazine or just going to a sign mixer always broadens one's horizons.

For instance, let's suppose these signs are going into a hospital, daycare center or grocery store. You want the OP here, to blindly use your sintra idea ?? Do you realize, sintra has LEAD in it ?? You wanna put lead in areas where people are sick, young tissue at work or your food source ??

See how easy it is to learn, just by saying something ??

My opinion is the project is flawed because front surface vinyl signs in a hospital setting are going to fail earlier due to the constant cleaning. I would recommend engraving, applied letters, or 2nd surface vinyl. But that's me and my business. You can do what you want and in the end, really all that matters is your client is happy and you're providing a product that is well made, well designed, and you stand behind your product. I could rationalize why my method is better, but in the end, if the customer doesn't like it, what's the point?

Second, Sinatra has no lead. http://www.substratum.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Sintra-MSDS.pdf Sintra is PVC.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My opinion is the project is flawed because front surface vinyl signs in a hospital setting are going to fail earlier due to the constant cleaning. I would recommend engraving, applied letters, or 2nd surface vinyl. But that's me and my business. You can do what you want and in the end, really all that matters is your client is happy and you're providing a product that is well made, well designed, and you stand behind your product. I could rationalize why my method is better, but in the end, if the customer doesn't like it, what's the point?

Second, Sinatra has no lead. http://www.substratum.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Sintra-MSDS.pdf Sintra is PVC.

So, you give him your personal recommendation10 hours ago, then come back 8 hours later and tell him your new opinions and yet a new set of recommendations. You completely did a 180.

Now, rather than cloud or disrupt this thread, why don't you start a new thread with your take on sintra not having lead, in it ?? In your own proof, it says when being used with the intentions of how it is being sold in flat stock. At the end, it also says, we believe these facts to be true. How good is that ??
Then, check out the first paragraph of section 6. You'll just be thrilled with your own data.

Go ahead, start another thread. I don't need to, I already know the end result(s).

rossmosh

So, you give him your personal recommendation10 hours ago, then come back 8 hours later and tell him your new opinions and yet a new set of recommendations. You completely did a 180.

Now, rather than cloud or disrupt this thread, why don't you start a new thread with your take on sintra not having lead, in it ?? In your own proof, it says when being used with the intentions of how it is being sold in flat stock. At the end, it also says, we believe these facts to be true. How good is that ??
Then, check out the first paragraph of section 6. You'll just be thrilled with your own data.

Go ahead, start another thread. I don't need to, I already know the end result(s).

I have no intention in discussing this further with you as I've already proven my point by posting the MSDS and by you illustrating how different people have different opinions based on different things. In the end, as long as the product works and the customer is happy and the bills are paid, there is no "wrong" answer. What works in my shop doesn't in yours.

Nat

Isnt the Fact that we all have different ideas and approach things differently to achieve the same goals, Isn't that what makes us ALL Great?
If We all made signs same, We wouldn't be able to get much attention where we need it. From our Customers.
You should be Happy that We all don't make signs, " Your Way" You can Take Advice or Give advice. But You can't Expect Anyone to Take your advice nor can they expect you to use their advice. There is No right or Wrong way as long as your being safe and sensible.
The Vinyl Covered Mdo Signs and Brackets are Very Nice and I'm sure they will make a Customer very happy at $96.00 each.