• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need a printer

BK Vinyl

I am using a Graphtec 8000-100 and Omega 4 software (strongly leaning toward upgrading to 5 soon.) What kind of printer would be the most seamless to use with these? I'm thinking latex, because I wont need it on a daily basis and it may sit for a week or two at a time unused.

BK Vinyl

I will be printing on vinyl for aluminum signs, decals for car doors including police cars, possibly a few banners. All need to be long lasting. Also the fume issue has me thinking latex may be the way to go.

JoeBoomer

My money is on Latex. The HP L26500 is a very nice machine. It beats the hell out of solvent in my opinion. Very little maintenance needed and prints great.

Prints will scratch if not laminated though. Pretty much same as solvent. However, most of the stuff I printed at my old shop was not laminated. (Lots of aluminum, coro, and pvc signage).

JoeBoomer

I didn't know people still use Omega. :) The first thing I did at my old shop was replace Omega w/ Illustrator for all design / cut.

I had: HP 9000 Solvent Printer, upgraded to HP L25500 Latex Printer (MUCH BETTER than solvent); Graphtec 7000-160 ; Illustrator & Omega (poop) Gerber EDGE 2 (Thermal Printer)

The thermal printer (Gerber Edge 2) was only used for specialty printing and we avoided it whenever possible because it was a hassle. It was old-school tech that we had lying around the shop. I personally wouldn't recommend thermal, but my experience with it is limited.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know people still use Omega. :) The first thing I did at my old shop was replace Omega w/ Illustrator for all design / cut.

I had: HP 9000 Solvent Printer, upgraded to HP L25500 Latex Printer (MUCH BETTER than solvent); Graphtec 7000-160 ; Illustrator & Omega (poop) Gerber EDGE 2 (Thermal Printer)

The thermal printer (Gerber Edge 2) was only used for specialty printing and we avoided it whenever possible because it was a hassle. It was old-school tech that we had lying around the shop. I personally wouldn't recommend thermal, but my experience with it is limited.

That was only one manufacturer of thermal machines. Although they are slow, they put out fantastic work and almost scratch resistance. Summa I think makes some 30" and 48" machines and other than being slow and a little expensive, they out last the solvent and latex printers by maybe twice as long..... without lamination.

We had one and when we laminated, you couldn't beat the job. All of our printers today are so much faster and cheaper to run, plus much bigger. However, it is a very good machine to get your feet wet.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We use the EdgeFX here probably more times a day than the Epson GS6000, it's all in how you market & who you market to, that translates into which printer better suits you. We do a lot of specialty materials (golds/reflectives/metallics) that the Edge does awesome on.

Personally, if I was to buy another printer I'd go Latex; but the GS600 works well for us here and the fumes aren't that bad unless it is running all day long. (and our ventilation here sucks)

Mosh

I wont need it on a daily basis and it may sit for a week or two at a time unused.

Farm it out, why tie up money on something you won't use all the time? that don't make sence, like bying a snowmobile in Florida....

BK Vinyl

I work for a municipality and they want to keep as much in house as possible. Even, most of the time, at the expense of it costing more.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, as I see it, you might be new here, but according to your profile, you're selling stuff to your friends while using company materials and machinery. I can only imagine that you're also doing it on company time and all the tax payers in your municipality are paying your wages while you sell back for a profit to the community and your happy customers.

Doesn't sound like a good business model to jump into having a sign shop while they teach you to learn the ropes. You'll never learn the ins & outs of overhead, insurance and dealing with real people.

We do a lot of municipality work and I don't know of a single person that can do anything on company time for themselves, let alone make money off the system.

BK Vinyl

I made a profile on here 2 years ago to read and learn as much as I could about sign making. I am not making or selling anything for my use or profit. All I meant was that the experience I pick up at work may someday be something I can use elsewhere. Wow. Touchy group...

WI

For long-term outdoor and vehicle use, you're probably going to need to laminate whatever you print, which is another piece of large equipment, another set of materials to keep on hand, and another process to learn. You're also going to want to look up the difference between "cast" and "calendered" vinyl.

I get the appeal of keeping everything in-house, just make sure that the shot callers you work for understand what a can of worms it is that you're opening here.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I made a profile on here 2 years ago to read and learn as much as I could about sign making. I am not making or selling anything for my use or profit. All I meant was that the experience I pick up at work may someday be something I can use elsewhere. Wow. Touchy group...

Yeah, and I see you've changed it to read differently in the last ten minutes. It would've been better to just admit you're doing this than to quick erase what you had and then deny it. However, it will come back to bite you if or when they find out.

genericname

Yeah, and I see you've changed it to read differently in the last ten minutes. It would've been better to just admit you're doing this than to quick erase what you had and then deny it. However, it will come back to bite you if or when they find out.

Gino, we don't all own our own shops here, and just because someone does related work on the side doesn't mean they're doing it on company time. I own a small screening biz, and sometimes use the facilities here, at my 9-5 digital print job, to supplement services I can't do myself. And yes, this is all after hours, with my bosses' knowledge and consent.

I originally joined Signs101 because I wanted to do my bosses right, and improve my knowledge and skill, not scheme to co-opt the mysteries of the sign makers' zeitgeist. He's doing the same.

You are not the gatekeeper for the printing community. Chill out. You're scaring the children.

BK Vinyl

I only lied about being a sign shop before so people like you wouldn't give me a hard time. Since then, I have witnessed plenty of board members who are cool with helping out the new and inexperienced, and really don't care what condecending miserable people like you think. Have a good one, Gino.