• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need to buy Helvetica

TheSnowman

Believe it or not...my new computer doesn't have helvetica. I don't need all 20 different font styles, just the basic one. I know there's probably several online places to buy it (at least from the looks of google) which one would you recommend?

Last edited:

cfriend

You can retrieve the font from your old pc, C:/windows/fonts and install on new pc. Assuming you had it prior to your new pc

TheSnowman

The old program it was in was Omega Composer. Far as I know, those don't work like TTF fonts. I may do a little checking...but it's OLD OLD OLD, so I'm thinking probably not.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are two problems with the Gerber versions.

1. They are different enough to be noticeable from their counterparts in the commercial font world. Gerber's Helvetica Medium does not match Linotype's Helvetica Medium. Gerber's Helvetica Bold does not match Linotype's Helvetica Bold. Etc. etc. etc.

2. Gerber's font format is proprietary and not directly convertible to TTF, Type 1 or Open Type format.

The best suggestion for you is to keep your old Gerber software running so you will be able to use the same fonts and export the job to your new software and computer when needed.

TheSnowman

Doh! I knew you were gonna say something like that Fred! Well, at least I tried. But seriously...which one should I buy? I had no idea there was a BRAZILIAN of them!

Jillbeans

I once got bawled out by a graphic designer for using Gerber's Helvetica on his sign layout.
He was using his own Helvetica from his program in an eps he sent that I couldn't open, so I substituted mine.
Don't get me wrong, he is a cool guy, and he is British.
He called and said "It's Helvetica Meeedjum for Christ's sake!"
It was just funny.

Rodi

Linotype now owned by Agfa/Monotype. Linotype owns the rights to Times Roman, which was originally designed by Monotype. Monotype came out with Times New Roman… Now that they bought out Linotype, can they get rid of Book Antiqua (Palatino Rip) and Arial?

The font business is a funny one, very strange.