• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Importing PDF with text as curves has slice in characters

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Anyone have an explanation to why this happens. Tried "place" in illustrator and save as pdf. No fix. Tried several file formats from Acrobat Pro & illustrator to no avail. svg, ai, eps, ps, optimized pdf, emf

This one I just manually fixed with the shape tool as it was only 1 character.

1670594714745.png

myront

CorelDRAW is best
pathfinder tool in illustrator will fix that and many of the cut path issues you face.
Can't open in illustrator, don't have the fonts. Tried "place" in illustrator and all looks good, then save as pdf, no go for corel though.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
PDFs with embedded fonts can be placed in Illustrator and then the embedded fonts can be converted to outlines using the Flatten Transparency dialog box. When placing the PDF make sure to check the "link" option, otherwise the font substitution menu will pop up. Once the PDF is placed into Illustrator open the Flatten Transparency dialog box. There are numerous options in the dialog box, including "Convert All Text to Outlines." That solves the missing font problem

Another nit-pick thing I do when exporting certain artwork items from Illustrator to CorelDRAW is I'll break apart any compound paths and re-combine them after they're imported into CorelDRAW. For some annoying reason CorelDRAW likes to create doubled-up anchor points on compound paths. That can lead to issues with items that need to be routed. Breaking apart compound paths when exporting will also solve the slicing problem.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
JBurton said:
No, but I've got one I have a similar issue with. Montserrat, when converted to a pdf set to convert fonts to curves on the salesman's pc always comes out perfect. When he sends it over with embedded fonts, of which I have the proper font, it's fine. But when my pc converts it to curves, it does this:

Overlapping paths is a very common trait with OpenType Variable fonts. The variable version of Montserrat definitely has overlapping paths, as do nearly all the other OTF VAR fonts at the Google Fonts web site. The standard, static versions of Montserrat don't have overlapping parts.

I rarely see any OTF Variable fonts that lack overlapping paths. TT Supermolot Neue Variable is one that's pretty good at not having them. Some of the Variable fonts bundled in Adobe Illustrator don't have overlaps either. Heading Now is a fantastic Variable typeface; it mostly doesn't have any overlapping paths. But a few glyphs with overlaps pop up here and there. It's always a good idea to check the outline view of artwork before cutting or routing anything regardless of what kinds of fonts are used.

The overlap problem can be solved by converting the type object to curves/outlines and then applying a weld function to it. It's pretty straight-forward to do in Adobe Illustrator. in CorelDRAW you have to go to the Object menu, choose "Shaping" and click "Weld" on the flyout menu to remove overlapping paths in artwork. It doesn't work with the usual welding and cutting buttons that appear on the tool bars.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The weld buttons on the tool bar in CorelDRAW are hit-and-miss when it comes to removing overlaps in paths. The Shaping>Weld command in the Object tool bar is more reliable at removing overlaps in lettering from Variable Fonts. One "gotcha" is the command needs to be applied when the text object is first converted to outlines. If the object is broken apart into individual objects then it just becomes another mess where the overlaps may or may not disappear when welded.

Adobe Illustrator hasn't been perfectly straight with this either. Thankfully recent versions have defaulted to a "non zero winding" fill rule. When you click the "Unite" button in the Pathfinder palette the overlaps automatically disappear. The default used to be "even-odd," which meant any overlaps would create a negative "zero" fill. The setting had to be changed in the Attributes palette. Previously this was a hassle when converting strokes to outlines and welding over the resulting overlaps. Now Variable Fonts are a new wrinkle. The whole thing makes me miss the Remove Overlap "Xtra" button in Macromedia Freehand.

Last edited:

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...The overlap problem can be solved by converting the type object to curves/outlines and then applying a weld function to it. It's pretty straight-forward to do in Adobe Illustrator. in CorelDRAW you have to go to the Object menu, choose "Shaping" and click "Weld" on the flyout menu to remove overlapping paths in artwork. It doesn't work with the usual welding and cutting buttons that appear on the tool bars.
You can drag the weld icon to the top toolbar to always be visible & ready to use at any time. Or, if you like, assign a shortcut key to that function.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I'll have to experiment with some shortcut assignments. As often as I'm using Variable Fonts these days it's about time I had some kind of keyboard combo for welding those overlaps on text strings converted to curves.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I use a lot of those shortcuts in CorelDRAW, as well as the R, L, T, B, C and E keys for alignment.

I can run into some aggravation when jumping over to Adobe Illustrator. The keyboard shortcuts are very different in that environment. Hitting Corel-style shortcut keys in Illustrator can do some crazy things, which leads to hitting the Esc key or pressing Ctrl+Z. I do like how the Ctrl, Alt, Shift and Spacebar keys are configured for modifying paths while they're being laid down and how those key can toggle over to zoom in/out functions and hand-panning functions for adjusting the workspace view.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
ctrl + H and ctrl + V for distribute horizontally/vertically - By default corel & most other programs use ctrl+v as paste
Q for convert outlines to objects - By default corel uses ctrl+q
back/forward buttons set up to undo/redo - so you don't use those to nudge?
ctrl + s/o are save/open, ctrl + shift + s is save a copy as. - ctrl + shift + s = "Save as"
pressing space bar while holding an object drops a copy. if you only need one copy, holding an object and pressing right click gives you a single copy to drop. pressing space bar will leave the original, drop a new one, and leave you holding one. - drag a shape then hit the right mouse button before letting go will make a duplicate. As will hitting the plus on the number keypad.

I've customized my workspace in very much the same manner. I've also assigned many shortcuts to various "can't live without" macros or added their icons to the toolbars.
QuickDimensions - d
White Dimensions - ctrl+d
duplicate shape to the right and butt up against - ctrl+f. ctrl+df (dup right and spaced according to set nudge distance)
LabelColors
ClearClipboard
EllipseToPage & Ellipse to shape
ChromeEffect
MoveToCutLayer
CreatCutLines
CreateRegMarks - for plotting
DeleteEmptyLayers
MakeOutlineSameAsFill
DeleteEmptyPages
InsertOctagon
InsertArrow
MakeWeedLines
SelectAllDimensions - allows first to set the size of the text then the thickness of the outlines
SetAllDimensionsToFt
InsertWindHoles
CreateBannerBorder
InsertGrommet & InsertCornerGrommets
CreatCropMarks
CreateJobLabel - Artists name & date Created
InsertCheckeredPattern - my custom checkered pattern using clones to easily change colors on the fly
DistributeShapesHorizontally/Vertically - distributes shapes evenly within a chosen frame.
HotelText - change text to vertical
LineLength
RemoveAllOverprints
ConvertRectanglesBack & ConvertEllipsesBack - handy for using autocad files
RemoveAllHiddenShapes
Insert Commonly used symbols i.e. ™ © ¢ é ° ÷ ® ⬜

I could go on and on.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
....duplicate shape to the right and butt up against - ctrl+f. ctrl+df (dup right and spaced according to set nudge distance)
I'm confused how this works. I often but up two identical panels to cut on the cnc, so I typically just click a node on the side, drag to the opposite side, and drop a copy. It's not 'time consuming', but it is a frequent motion that I've been wanting to automate.
Sub DupAndFlipHz()
Dim OrigSelection As ShapeRange
Set OrigSelection = ActiveSelectionRange
Dim dup1 As ShapeRange
Set dup1 = OrigSelection.Duplicate
ActiveDocument.ReferencePoint = cdrMiddleRight
dup1.Stretch -1#, 1#
dup1.OrderToFront
dup1.Flip cdrFlipHorizontal
dup1.AddToSelection
End Sub

myront