• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

InDesign & Illustrator Tip for the Mathematically Challenged

Bill Modzel

I generally have to change an object to a specific size. Say I have a 9" x 3.3" selection that I need to take down to 4.3" x ?.
With the object selected, open the transform pallet, which will show you the dimension of the selection. Change the 9" to the 4.3, hit command/return, (mac keyboard), and it will scale perfectly.

GypsyGraphics

I generally have to change an object to a specific size. Say I have a 9" x 3.3" selection that I need to take down to 4.3" x ?.
With the object selected, open the transform pallet, which will show you the dimension of the selection. Change the 9" to the 4.3, hit command/return, (mac keyboard), and it will scale perfectly.

Bill, i hope you'll give this function a try... it's quite different than simply letting the program calculate the second dimension for you after you've plugged in a known dimension.

My apologies... it seems i gave such a basic example of this feature, that it sounds like i'm talking about a simple scaling step, which i'm sure we all do day in/day out, all day long.

Consider this...
You're about to create a file for a sign, you have the dimensions of the building and you know the allowable square footage.

Do you...

A. Calculate the allowable square footage with the assistance of a calculator and then plug those figures as the height and width as your document, file or page size?

B. You're quite the math whiz and with a few scratches of pencil to paper, you've quickly got your sign size and plug those figures in for your document, file or page size?

C. You're a frigg'n genius... a virtual SIGN SAVANT and merely laying eyes on a structure, you instantaneously know the allowable sign size and plug those figures in for your document, file or page size?

D. NONE OF THE ABOVE?

anyone.... anyone...

don't make me bump this for an answer... i will... over and over... because anyone not using this function in InDesign, Illustrator, Corel, Flexi, ect. is missing a valuable time saver.

please... anyone who thinks, or thought on first read, thought this was a basic scaling tip... open a new document with a difficult equation in the dimension fields. then come back to this thread and answer the question above.

GypsyGraphics

signmeup...
just thought of common real world example, gonna work on it right now!

oooo... with photos, screen shots, circles and arrows... it'll all make perfect sense

just wait... your gonna love me

unless you're already doing this

GypsyGraphics

well how convenient is this...

Chief (not his real name) just stopped by and he wants his logo on the door of his truck.

i snap a photo of his truck and do a quick mock-up, so he can approve the placement and size.

while i go create the life size file for printing, letting InDesign and Illustrator to all the calculations for me
take a look at what he approved...

attachment.php

Pugs&Ponies_mock-up.jpg

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

Here's the InDesign File, with all the info you need to create a full size InDesign, Illustrator, Corel or Flexi file.

attachment.php

Pugs&Ponies_indd-file.jpg

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

And here's the example i should have given in my opening post.

FYI: the 48" dimension is just a ratio... that number would apply to anything on the page... whether horizontal vertical or even at an angle.. it just establishes the scale.

attachment.php

Step3.jpg

Last edited:

shakey0818

Looks to me your making freds dog a superstar gg.I cant even get my picture on a trash can.And I'm definitely not gonna make it on the back of a milk carton cause nobody will miss me.:doh:

iSign

nice dog & pony show gg!..

I just opened a new window & used the * key on the numeric keypad & multiplied my letter sized artboard by 4, and that worked.. typed out my copy & looked about half size, so i typed *2 in the cap height field in the character dialog box and got double the point size...

wow, if I was scaling a full size down, to do a 1" = 1'-0" print, then dividing by 8.33 would be tough to do for a point size like type.. but now i know how to do it!

I like printing jobs at 8.33 % scale, because I can use an architects scale to read 1" = 1'-0" and for locating cut vinyl on a truck, window or sign board, all those measurements come in handy!

Hey shakey, you may not get on your own milk carton, but I saw this at the post office today!

Attachments

• WANTED.jpg
    WANTED.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

shakey0818

I love it doug.Ithink the 10+Racoons that come here a night to eat 4lbs of dog food and 1-2lbs of lunch meat a day would be insulted to be labeled "Trash Bandits" lmao

iSign

FYI: the 48" dimension is just a ratio... that number would apply to anything on the page... whether horizontal vertical or even at an angle.. it just establishes the scale.

attachment.php

ok.. this took me awhile to grasp... now I got it.

48" is not a ratio, but 48" divided by 6.2682 is!
that's why those two numbers both appear in both your formula's... because those are the real door, and the measurement of the door in your mockup & it's from those two numbers that you get your ratio. (in my mind I call that a multiplier) ...and those two numbers result in 765.77.. which can also be expressed as saying EVERYTHING IN YOUR MOCK-UP WILL BE ENLARGED BY 766% ON THE ACTUAL TRUCK DOOR!

I tried your formulas in the width & height fields for a new document in my illustrator CS4 (for PC) and it wouldn't work until I included parenthesis, to help the program sort out one calculation at a time. I also moved the 6.2682 next to the 48, because that just helped me to think of it in the terms I usually do my calculations in myself.

so, I entered:
(48/6.2682)*2.9194 for width, and (48/6.2682)*1.9599 for height & sure enough I got an art board that was just perfect for enlarging your graphic by 766% :clapping:

Thanks.. I may not use it this exact way, as I have my own methods, but that is amazing to know how even the type fields can allow calculations

signmeup

I draw line across the door width and select the logo and the line. I then copy and paste it somewhere else on the page. Then I select both the logo and line and type the actual dimension of the door width (say 48") in the appropriate size box and hit enter. Presto... the logo is full scale.(Don't forget to check the little box that maintains the aspect ratio)

Be careful scaling entire pickup trucks with a door measurement and a photo. Photos tend to be distorted especially if you use any sort of wide angle lens to take the photo. Your lens error will be scaled up too. The most accurate shot would typically be from a medium telephoto setting taken from further away from the truck. Try to keep the truck away from the extreme edges of the frame. This is where the most distortion of the lens will be found.

John Butto

10 minutes to Judge Wapner

I am so glad that you did not sit next to me in algebra class in 1959 because when I copied your answers it would have been more confusing and my D would have gone to an F. Using the scale & transform tool (as per Modzell) is a lot easier for me. I too grew up with a scale tool while drawing and when the computer came out there was an easy transition because it was designed by people who understood that process of drawing and equations. I applaud your technique but you should have made the title For The Non Mathematically Challenged Person.

GypsyGraphics

signmeup...
just thought of common real world example, gonna work on it right now!
oooo... with photos, screen shots, circles and arrows... it'll all make perfect sense
just wait... your gonna love me
I draw line across the door width and select the logo and the line. I then copy and paste it somewhere else on the page. Then I select both the logo and line and type the actual dimension of the door width (say 48") in the appropriate size box and hit enter. Presto... the logo is full scale.(Don't forget to check the little box that maintains the aspect ratio)

Adrian... so ummm... do you love me yet????
you should... LOOK HOW GOOD I JUST MADE YOU LOOK!!!!!

is it any wonder why i hate math? :ROFLMAO:

i'd like to rewrite my original post to simply read:
Did you know you could use the dimensional fields to make calculations?
Oh and.... can anyone help me find an easier way to take my mock-ups to life-sized?

-
-
-
-

by the way... i have a great recipe for ice if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

I am so glad that you did not sit next to me in algebra class in 1959 because when I copied your answers it would have been more confusing and my D would have gone to an F.
John, you're talking to the girl who got kicked out of class for take a stance against having x's and y's or any letters for that matter, in math problems.
...told the teacher if he didn't know what number belonged there he should just leave it blank or draw a little sad face... it's MATH, you're only allow to use numbers!

Last edited:

signmeup

Ummm.... what? GG, I think it's cool that you can do calculations in the little boxes I just don't seem to be smart enough to figure out a use for it. What are you using it for again? I got the impression you were wanting to make logos drawn over photos full size for cutting or printing. I didn't think it took any calculations.... I just type in whatever size it is and hit enter. (I'm feeling like the only guy in the room who isn't getting the joke.)

GypsyGraphics

NOOOOO Adrain!!! it's my fault... i made this so much more complicated than it should have been.

in my effort to point out what a useful feature that is... i over complicated it!

YOUR post was awesome!!!
it's like you waltzed in and said "the emperor is naked"
excuse me while i run and put some clothes on

i'm pretty good at showing people how to do stuff.. but i really suck at trying to get it in writing. i'll find a good description writing by someone who good at this.

i feel bad... i would hate to have turned people off to trying this out.

Last edited: