• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink coming off with transfer tape

cwb143

We recently screen printed on Bright Brushed Aluminum sheets. White first
then a 4 color. Then we let those cure 24hrs. Then we ran those sheets
through a laminater to apply transfer tape on top of them for protection during a laser cut process. but we found out that the Transfer tape pulls the ink off most areas. What can be done to keep the transfer tape from pulling off all the ink? Is there a better ink? or a adhesion chemical? or what

d fleming

uvrp is labeled for coated metals. Brushed aluminum is not coated. The catalyst should be the answer, but I do not use UV ink so not an authority on them. I can tell you the solvent based ink and catalyst I use will not come off with tape after cure, fact is it is hard to scrape off with a screwdriver. My bet is either catalyst not mixed right or cure not set right.

d fleming

For metal I use NAzdar 9700 with nb72 catalyst. It's not the only solution they have for metal but it makes good use of the all purpose series so I don't have to carry multiple product lines. Just know that using the catalyst makes the ink a short term shelf life. Once it is "hot" it needs to be used so don't make a ton of it up or you may be wasting $$$. Nazdar has a downloadable pdf substrate chart that is very helpful when it comes to the "will this work" questions. I made a banner of it and hung it in the screen shop long ago. Haven't had any problems matching ink and substrate since. Their techs have also been extremely helpful over the last 30 years or so any time I have any questions about inks and substrates. Great company, great people. I can also tell you I was quite the happy camper when I broke open a cartridge of ink for my Seiko purchased under another name from another distributor and found out it was Nazdar ink. Haven't looked back since. ALL my inks come from Nazdar directly with the exception of finding aqueous inks for old epson 9500 that I make my film positives with. Getting harder and harder to find those from anyone who has their head on straight.