• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Install Only Pricing

abmedia

Hello all,

Long story short I owned a graphics company for about 10 years and had a Roland VersaCamm 54" for about 6 of those years. I was mostly in the racecar business, but wrapped a few trailers, vans, and cars. Sold out 3 years ago but am getting the itch again. I'm not ready for my own equipment again, and not sure I ever will be. I've contacted local companies about designing for them (I have a design degree), and mentioned I could get graphics/wraps printed and could do the installs for them. Local distributing company is asking what I would charge to just install their wraps when they order them from corporate. They have inquired about pricing to install wraps for tractor trailers, vans & draft wagons, and box trucks. They've asked if I charge by the hour or square foot.

I have NO idea how to quote an install only, as I would typically do it per job based on the job and if they are in a rush or not. What would you guys recommend in this situation?

CanuckSigns

most shops want to pay by the sq/ft, at least until they get comfortable with you and know how fast you are, that way they can accurately estimate your final fee. If you charge by the hour and tell them it will take 8 hours to do a job, and it ends up taking you 13, they aren't going to be happy about it.

I would come up with a price list similar to this:

flat surfaces (trailers, walls, windows etc) $x /sqft
vehicle wraps $xx /sqft
any equipment rental needed (lifts scaffolding etc) would be above and beyond, as would any travel time beyond x miles from your location.

Hope this helps

Billct2

The problem I have with installing other peoples graphics is what happens if something isn't right or I screw up something?
In the first case it may not be my problem, but if the job has to be put on hold and I have to make a second trip, or the vehicle sits here
it throws off the time. In the second case no matter what I lose.

CanuckSigns

The problem I have with installing other peoples graphics is what happens if something isn't right or I screw up something?
In the first case it may not be my problem, but if the job has to be put on hold and I have to make a second trip, or the vehicle sits here
it throws off the time. In the second case no matter what I lose.

If something isn't right with the graphic (wrong size etc.) that is 100% on the shop who supplied the graphic
if you mess up a panel, I'll reprint it for you at wholesale rate and you finish the install at the original rate quoted, even if it means going back a second day.
if the install was ment to take 1 day and it takes 2 due to reasons beyond your control, you can feel free to charge me for your added time & travel.

that's how i've always understood it.

abmedia

If something isn't right with the graphic (wrong size etc.) that is 100% on the shop who supplied the graphic
if you mess up a panel, I'll reprint it for you at wholesale rate and you finish the install at the original rate quoted, even if it means going back a second day.
if the install was ment to take 1 day and it takes 2 due to reasons beyond your control, you can feel free to charge me for your added time & travel.

that's how i've always understood it.

I agree with this. In my mind, I would lay every piece out to ensure that 1) everything is there and 2) there are no misprints, errors, etc that I can see before trying to lay it. If something is "off", call whoever right away to let them know, ideally before I lay the first panel. This SHOULD release me of any issues. Now, if I screw up installing, thats on me and I'll have to make it right....whatever that means (depending on the screw up).

Nuagedesigns

Been in this situation before. Quoted a job for a large amount of full 53' trailer wraps based on a PowerPoint email of the trailers, graphics and time schedule. Our shop was busy at the time and I quickly looked at the email and failed to zoom in on the pictures of the trailers. When the first trailer showed up it had more rivets than I had ever seen on a 53' trailer before. Also the material they provided was liquid laminated and had application tape applied. We finished all of the trailers but it was not as profitable as it could have been due to how long the install took.

Moral of the story get all details before throwing a number to install. Actual vehicle, Material used, as well as condition of vehicle to wrap (time to prep a vehicle or trailer can take just as long)

ams

$60 / hour one man, $80 / two man install. This is for non-electrical jobs. A full car wrap depending on how good you are, can be 10 - 16 hours.
Take how long in the past you did it, use that amount of hours times the rate.

blufftonsignguy

I do installs for a major (national) trash company in my area with someone else supplying the graphics. I charge a flat hourly rate (shop rate) for all removals and installs. They seem to be very happy with that and know that screw ups can happen. I have yet to screw anything up, but they know it can happen. This has worked out fairly well for me so far.

Drip Dry

I'm used to paying 2 - 3.00 square foot for my installer

And I agree with the above about screwing up someone else's material. You could be really ripped off for the reprint

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I'm used to paying 2 - 3.00 square foot for my installer

And I agree with the above about screwing up someone else's material. You could be really ripped off for the reprint

$1.00 (sheetrock walls) to $3 (vehicle wraps) a square is the range I shoot for but there are times when I've charged considerably more or less. The more details you give me and the larger the job the better the pricing.

I've been installing for 19 years and 8 years for national accounts. If you mess up a decal, are honest with them, and offer to pay, My experience is that 95 times out of 100 they will send you a new one for free including shipping. Any company that gouges you for a reprint was probably looking for a way not to pay you and won't be in business long, or you gouged them in the first place.