• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installation code of conduct agreement?

gnubler

I was contacted by a third party vendor about installing some ADA signs in a nearby town. Specs provided, it looks easy so I agreed to the job. Budget was reasonable. They send back a slew of paperwork for me to fill out. The usual W9, proof of insurance, etc...plus a multi-page "vendor packet" and a corporate code of conduct, which lists items such as requesting that I behave respectfully, don't joke or banter with employees on site, and what style/color of clothing to wear.

Is this typical and is everyone complying with this? I'm about to tell them to shove it. Way too much work for such a small project (<$500)

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
That's crazy. I want to know what happened, that they need to require such paperwork.

gnubler

I've told a client that I will have to add $$ for the extra paperwork on a small job... or they can waive it on this small order.
Honestly, I don't even want the money. That I'm being asked to sign an agreement that I'll "treat others respectfully" and wear khaki pants is pretty much turning me off entirely.

When I saw the name of the document I figured it was some "diversity" BS language.

netsol

I was contacted by a third party vendor about installing some ADA signs in a nearby town. Specs provided, it looks easy so I agreed to the job. Budget was reasonable. They send back a slew of paperwork for me to fill out. The usual W9, proof of insurance, etc...plus a multi-page "vendor packet" and a corporate code of conduct, which lists items such as requesting that I behave respectfully, don't joke or banter with employees on site, and what style/color of clothing to wear.

Is this typical and is everyone complying with this? I'm about to tell them to shove it. Way too much work for such a small project (<$500)
we typically respond to something like that with a raised middle finger.

alternately, pretend you left something in the car.
then drive away & block their phone number

we all have enough annoyance in our live, without this

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'm trying to envision what a polite middle finger looks like. Is it like when you scratch behind your ear with your middle finger?

WildWestDesigns

Ahhh yes. The infamous corporate CoC. This has for sure been on the rise, even in the OSS space (big or small, it seems that most of them have it, gotten the point, I avoid projects that I can that have them). Corporations seem to love them (don't know if it's compulsory or not, but they do seem to love having them) and look carefully. I have noticed that the big corporations that have OSS projects, they actually have clauses that contradict one another (but that goes down a whole new rabbit hole that I'll try to avoid for today).

If one is dealing with big corporations especially, I don't see being able to avoid them for far too much longer.

When I saw the name of the document I figured it was some "diversity" BS language.
I would postulate that that's where it has it's roots and we must have good ESG scores.

BigNate

While I personally feel a lot of the same sentiment as y'all about not wanting to be told what to and not to do on a site.... I work for a larger school district and it is my understanding that no one can be contracted to work on our properties without following some pretty specific rules. Most of these have to do with safety and background checks to make sure we don't do things like mix felons with students, etc.... but some have things like making sure everyone is paid a 'prevailing wage' or making sure no employee is being treated unfairly because their boss was the lowest bidder. Some pertain to dress code and others to conduct while working on our properties. I believe we expect anyone who is working on our property to be dressed professional enough that they do not look out of place (though there is specific language somewhere).

If you don't want to respect someone's wishes on their own property (while making money...) - you do not have to, just pass on the work.

gnubler

I'm trying to envision what a polite middle finger looks like. Is it like when you scratch behind your ear with your middle finger?
Obama did it during speeches. The old nose rub gesture.
I have a solicitor that comes into my shop every few months and he always scrolls on his tablet with his middle finger, toward me. I take it as a silent "F U" and he's never going to get any business from me.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have / had Tourette syndrome. I never yelled out curse words, but had verbal and motion tics. It was bad in teen years and 20s. One of my tics was raising the middle finger... I had to conceal it by acting like I was rubbing my nose. You try to conceal tics so as to appear as normal as possible. Thankfully no more of that, and I can go years without a tic. Sometimes I get stressed out and they try to come up, but I know how to stop it before it starts to get repetitive.

JBurton

Signtologist
I want to know what happened
I think we all do...
Personally, have never seen anything of the sort aside from a general contract stating that employees will behave in a professional manner.
I have / had Tourette syndrome
Like Bob Saget bad? I just swear when I sneeze, took 6 months of practice to master, untraining has been going on 6 years now, ever since my oldest asked why I say bad words when I sneeze. Most people don't notice.

Johnny Best

Gnubler.needs to get out the torq pedalpushere and Skechers slip ons with a tubetop and talk to anybody inside of her personal 12ʼ circle.

CanuckSigns

After seeing some of the sign installers around here I get it. There is a father/son team who look like they've slept under a bridge for the last 10 years, they light their new cigarette with the butt of the old one, and every other word out of their mouth is a curse word. I would never send them on a site where they would ever interact with my client.

Steenland

Old Member
It's my understanding that a business cannot require a 1099 contractor to wear specific clothing. My wife is staffing manager for a large catering company, and all of her part-time servers (she has dozens) have to be W-2 employees because they are required to wear black shirts, pants, and shoes when working events.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's my understanding that a business cannot require a 1099 contractor to wear specific clothing. My wife is staffing manager for a large catering company, and all of her part-time servers (she has dozens) have to be W-2 employees because they are required to wear black shirts, pants, and shoes when working events.
It's not specific, saying khaki pants and a collared shirt is a general dress code. Clothing isn't why they can't be 1099d, it's because they're servers for a catering company. A 1099 contractor has to be a position that's outside of your normal course of business afaik. The IRS may use a uniform as additional proof that they were improperly classed if they come after you for it but it's not what differentiates a contractor from an employee.