• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Irritating electrical sign....any thoughts

FS-Keith

keith, brands are NOT all the same, they do not wire up the same as far as colors of wires. So therefore I hooked up 2 wires wrong when in fact they should have been snipped and capped. As I said I have NEVER paid attention to what was inside and always referred to schematics on posted on ballast but for some reason just wasnt thinking on this day.

I was just making the point that the replacement with a different brand doesnt matter, you just wired it wrong. And every magnetic ballast I have ever used has universal wiring colors for the most part. It was likely manufactured with a 396 and you probably only had a 496 on the truck and forgot to cap the 2 yellow. Its ok, poop happens!

signage

I was just making the point that the replacement with a different brand doesnt matter, you just wired it wrong. And every magnetic ballast I have ever used has universal wiring colors for the most part. It was likely manufactured with a 396 and you probably only had a 496 on the truck and forgot to cap the 2 yellow. Its ok, poop happens!

An Allanson 396 and 496 3 lamp wiring is the same, except the 496 does not use the brown wires which need to be capped (Wire nutted separately). What I think the op is saying is that not all ballasts from different manufactures are wired utilizing the same colors for the same number of lamps!

visual800

Yep it does happen and im human! Notma good excuse but....! actually i did cap the yellows while i should capped the browns and used the yellows. All the ballast ive put in you would think i would have screwed something up by now....smh

rydods

Member for quite some time.
When this happens to me...and it does still happen often, it usually isn't the obvious it's an overlooked mistake just like this. Not much you can do. I take pictures of the wiring and ballast before I dig in. Don't usually think I'll refer to them and I always do, multiple times. Just extra insurance.

signage

When replacing a ballast not of the same manufacturer and same model number, never assume the wiring is the same! The internal circuits may be different and if not wired correctly can not only shorten lamp life but also shorten ballast life from not having them loaded correctly! SO ALWAYS CHECK WIRING WHEN REPLACING A BALLAST!

FS-Keith

Yep it does happen and im human! Notma good excuse but....! actually i did cap the yellows while i should capped the browns and used the yellows. All the ballast ive put in you would think i would have screwed something up by now....smh

yea on a 4 to 3 lamp cap browns, 6 to 5 cap yellow and 6 to 4 cap both.

signage

yea on a 4 to 3 lamp cap browns, 6 to 5 cap yellow and 6 to 4 cap both.

Why now a change in you color capping of wires(see you post#21)?

Also are you sure this is true for other manufacturers?

Any yes brand does have something to do with the wiring of ballasts! They are not all wired the same color wise!

FS-Keith

Why now a change in you color capping of wires(see you post#21)?

Also are you sure this is true for other manufacturers?

Any yes brand does have something to do with the wiring of ballasts! They are not all wired the same color wise!

I was thinking about going from a 6 down

I have never run into issue replacing a like for like size mag ballast that isn't ancient, almost all manufacturers I know of have an industry standard wire color schematic. Some ancient ones have been diff colors, but like you and other have repeated Dont assume. Look at the schematic

petrosgraphics

if you want to really drive yourself crazy get yourself an electronic ballast

* *and switch that out....*

* *years ago GE made a ballast where the black and white wires came*

* * *into play...*

* * ALWAYS check the new ballast wiring diagram just to make sure......

* * *we have all swapped out a ballast at 1 time or another, that lets

* * *just say, wasn't quite wired right.....