• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this used Graphtec CE5000-60 a good deal?

masiphx

Hello good people of Signs101. I've been visiting this forum for years now. It's been very informative. I am looking at buying a small machine for doing decal samples and designs for my business. I already have a local guy and online vendors that will do quality work for me, but for one offs, personal projects and samples for prospective clients, I'd like something bigger.

I found this in a pawn shop. It comes with the stand, no software, no return policy, and they want 679 dollars for it. My questions are as follows:

1) How old is this thing? I need it to play nice with a Mac work environment.
2) How much is it worth? I have been looking at the CE6000 series, but for a third the price, if it works, is it worth a try? And what would you pay?
3) Is there any basic software or plugin I could download to get a test run going. I have vinyl sheets and rolls, so I can test it, but without software, I don't know what I'd be able to do to challenge the machine and be sure it works.
4) Besides looking at it from the outside, is there anything under the hood I can look at to be sure it was treated well (enough)? I'm thinking telltale signs of a dying motor, a mileage counter of sorts, and general giveaways that this was abused or mistreated.
5) this should have been #1, but should I just hold out til I get a new graphtec?
6) I'm also willing to do a refurb from a trusted source. Anyone know a trusted source? I'm thinking Stahls, Signwarehouse (except I emailed them for more info and never got any info or a call).

Pic below. Thank you again for any advice or help.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2228.jpg
    IMG_2228.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,708

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks like you can get some basic software that will work on a Mac here:
http://www.graphtecamerica.com/grap...ntinued-legacy-cutting-plotters-ce5000-60-120

Not sure of how much it is worth.
If you can bring in a laptop and power it up for some test runs that would be the way to go.
Look for signs of wear n tear in the consumable parts - cutting strip, pinch rollers, blade & holder and the belt that moves the cutter carriage.
With it running if it sounds reasonably smooth it could be worth the price.

masiphx

Is this Graphtec worth it?

Thanks for the advice, I plan to do as you mentioned. I'd seen that graphtec page before, so I'll fire up the laptop and get that plugin and software going.

Still looking at new machines. But if this is a steal in the 4s or low 5s I'd have to give it a long hard look

b2413

Love mine!

I have the exact same machine and run it on a mac through Illustrator everyday. I have never had a single issue with it at all, mine has been bulletproof. If you are just cutting decals then you will be happy.

The shortcoming reveal themselves when you start attemping to contour cut on laminated or reflective material. It contour cuts fine on non laminated however.

No real way to tell how much it was used in then sense of a number display. If you get it you will want to update the firmware from the Graphtec website and also download Cutting Master 3.

I use mine for the small projects and couldn't be happier.

visual800

I hate to see someone pass up a good deal but I wouldnt bother with it. Its in a pawn shop, you dont know the history of it, you have no idea IF anything is wrong. I would buy a new or a used summa. If used I would like to see it run and operate.

Dont buy a potential problem.

neato

These are great cutters.

I would do as suggested, test it out to make sure it's working. Then offer $500 for it.

I bought a CE2000-60 which is older for $600 2 years ago. I might have paid too much, but I don't regret it at all. It's a great cutter.