• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ISO Recommendations for "Short Format" digital printers (44" or so max) - All in 1

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
I am beginning to search for a "short format" digital printer (44" or so max) that is capable of printing for both Fine art/photographic solutions, as well as any and all POP/B2B like functions so that I may provide gallery quality canvas prints for photo and illustration clients; while being able to utilize my print shop/signage/vinyl experience should the project call for such. I am also relocating to the West coast and will need some source of personal income to further sustain my flow until I am embedded in the freelance and contract circles in my new market.

So while being on this search, I remember where I found a well of information whilst working in the sign industry and have returned for proper advice, as well as, having my chops busted from time to time.

Any help on resolving this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh yeah.. and sorry I've been away so long. Lots of new changes on the horizon.

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
For indoor and high quality prints on canvas etc.: HP Designjet Z-series.

+1 thanks! I've been reviewing the HP and Epson lines but am looking for hands on experienced users suggestions.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Biker Scout

I've had a couple of Canons and I love them. I started with the WF8400 (44"), which later turned into the ProGraf IPF series. Went with the 60" because, well, we didn't know any better. Turned out, we could have gotten the IPF6450 (12 color one) 24"... nearly all of our aqueous work was 24" or less. A few times we messed around with 36" prints. So, that in mind, even getting the 44" model would have covered 99.9% off all the photo/poster/canvas type work we ran through the shop.

Anyway, awesome color reproduction, inexpensive inks. Really easy to use. I mean, like home printer easy. Skin tones are fantastic, color gamut ridiculous (if you have a spectrometer you can hit nearly everything just shy of fluorescent) grayscale... well, that's the one reason why I picked the 12-color. Love the black and white output. I feel they finally surpassed Epson in the grayscale department this time.

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
I've had a couple of Canons and I love them. I started with the WF8400 (44"), which later turned into the ProGraf IPF series. Went with the 60" because, well, we didn't know any better. Turned out, we could have gotten the IPF6450 (12 color one) 24"... nearly all of our aqueous work was 24" or less. A few times we messed around with 36" prints. So, that in mind, even getting the 44" model would have covered 99.9% off all the photo/poster/canvas type work we ran through the shop.

Anyway, awesome color reproduction, inexpensive inks. Really easy to use. I mean, like home printer easy. Skin tones are fantastic, color gamut ridiculous (if you have a spectrometer you can hit nearly everything just shy of fluorescent) grayscale... well, that's the one reason why I picked the 12-color. Love the black and white output. I feel they finally surpassed Epson in the grayscale department this time.

AWESOME Reply! Thank you for such an in-depth review. It's been so long since I had a decent Canon home printer, so it never even occurred to me to look in that direction. I will definitely give them a look. Thanks again!

toomeycustoms

We use an Canon IPF8300 for all of our canvas and giclee prints. Does the job nice and you should be able to get one for around $3k-$4k. If you go used, you could pick one up cheaper. Just be aware that the 12 colors of ink are expensive to replace.Even if you get the smaller 330ml carts, it's going to be around $2k for a full replacment. If the used printer you find doesn't come with much ink, it may be cheaper to go with the new printer since it comes with a set of 330ml's.

You can also look at the Epson 10000 or 9900. Also a good printer.

Biker Scout

Aftermarket inks for the Canon are awesome. Way cheaper, and easier to replace. Epson, not so much. HP still uses those over priced foam filled cartridges?

kanini

Aftermarket inks for the Canon are awesome. Way cheaper, and easier to replace. Epson, not so much. HP still uses those over priced foam filled cartridges?

The Designjet Z-seriew uses similar carts as the latex printers, only smaller in size. Not that they are really cheap (OEM) though, but that goes for all of these models, be it HP, Epson, Canon...