• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issue with vehicle magnets not sticking in cold Chicago weather...any suggestions?

JERHEMI

I have a client we do some vehicle magnets for parade vehicles throughout the colder months. They need to place an order, but asked if we have any magnet material that is "stronger" because the existing magnets have a tough time sticking to cold vehicle body panels. We've mounted prints to Magnum Magnetic sheeting for years and this is the first time someone has said such a thing. These are all new Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler and Fiat vehicles from a dealership they're borrowing for the parades. I know manufacturers are using less and less steel in the door panels, but not enough for magnets not to stick? Any ideas of cause and/or suggestions for "stronger" magnet sheeting? Thank you

I know for sure they are using less and less steel and more and more aluminum. I believe a couple trucks are all aluminum now with no way to get magnets to stick. Not sure which models and if yours are affected though. Magnets stick better in cold weather so it's not the weather. Unless it's so cold there is a sheet of ice on the car. If the magnets are bent and cold that could be the reason. Tell them to warm them so they are pliable before taking outside to the car.

ExecuPrintGS

Recently we have been using a low grade vinyl (oracal 3641) and cutting to shape for this sort of thing. We have our clients just fold the corners back a couple of inches and apply all 4 corners instead of the whole graphic.
Because they are at low speed in the parade, we have never had any problems.